+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Interesting stat ahead of tomorrow

Interesting stat ahead of tomorrow

Liverpool haven't kept a clean sheet at home against us for 61 years (1957 was the last of only 3 occasions when we've not scored at Anfield).
    Last edited by Eric the Half a Bee; 26-10-18 at 20:49. Reason: Error

Re: Interesting stat ahead of tomorrow

And they haven't met Paterson yet. Away banker shirley.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Liverpool haven't kept a clean sheet at home against us for 61 years (1957 was the last of only 3 occasions when we've not scored at Anfield).
    I’m sure I recall us beating them 1-0 at NP when nobody thought we would. I’ll need to check the history books.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    I’m sure I recall us beating them 1-0 at NP when nobody thought we would. I’ll need to check the history books.
    We are one of Liverpool's bogey sides, winning 18 to Liverpool's 12 in our head to heads. However, this should be put in context.

Our longest run of fixtures against Liverpool came between 1921/22 and 1928/29 when we were relegated. We won 8 of those 14 fixtures, drawing our only 2 draws against them (albeit that we technically drew the League cup final against them but lost on penalties). Both clubs were amongst the best in the league in the early 20s - Liverpool won 2 titles before Cardiff lost out on goal average.

We then managed 5 seasons' worth of games against Liverpool in the 50s, Cardiff winning 8 to Liverpool's 2. Both sides had less success in the 50s, both being promoted and relegated at certain times.

In 1961/2, Cardiff were relegated to Division 2 while Liverpool were promoted back to the top division. It would take 52 years for both to face each other in the league again. During those times, Cardiff City would complete 20 seasons (in total) in the bottom two tiers of English football (something that must have been unthinkable years before), while Liverpool won 13 league titles, finished 2nd twice and finished out of the top 6 only 7 times in 52 seasons. Prior to the 60s, Liverpool had spent 47 seasons in the top flight, finishing in the top 6 only 13 times. The fortunes of both clubs could barely have been any different!

Liverpool haven’t conceded a league goal at Anfield since February. Cmon City.