+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Did you serve in the forces after 1975 and not receiving a Forces pension?

Did you serve in the forces after 1975 and not receiving a Forces pension?

I have nagged my brother, who is 66 years old not well off in his retirement, for quite some time regarding the fact that he may be eligible for a Forces pension regarding the time he spent in the RAF in the late seventies. He constantly rebuffed my efforts so I messaged the authorities for an application form for him without him knowing. He duly received the form, completed it and sent it off - - and it turns out that he is not only eligible for a pension but that he may very well receive almost 7 years of back-payments, a most welcome development.

It seems that any service prior to 1975 doesn't count but time thereafter does.

Don't be one of those people who made the relevant contributions but do not claim what you are owed.

Apols for the garbled thread header.

Re: Did you serve in the forces after 1975 and not receiving a Forces pension?

I worked as a support worker in Newport. One of my clients was getting a forces penson.The local authority disregarded this pension when assessing a claim for housing benefit which meant he got the full reduction in housing benefit.
    I’m not sure if this applies to all local authorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I have nagged my brother, who is 66 years old not well off in his retirement, for quite some time regarding the fact that he may be eligible for a Forces pension regarding the time he spent in the RAF in the late seventies. He constantly rebuffed my efforts so I messaged the authorities for an application form for him without him knowing. He duly received the form, completed it and sent it off - - and it turns out that he is not only eligible for a pension but that he may very well receive almost 7 years of back-payments, a most welcome development.

It seems that any service prior to 1975 doesn't count but time thereafter does.

Don't be one of those people who made the relevant contributions but do not claim what you are owed.

Apols for the garbled thread header.
    The forms for various pensions and entitlements are on the GOV website. I served from 1983 - 1989 and I am a good few years off being able to draw my forces pension. Only recently I filled in form 14 on the website (link below) and was sent a forecast of my index linked entitlement from age 60 onward.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...pensions-forms

International

When I was serving the rule of thumb for those who had not served a full 22 year term was roughly that a person had to have served at least 9 years, and would get a percentage, worked as 'number of years served over 22' at age 55. This was then index linked.
    As dandy commented, when I was long term sick after leaving the forces I was told I was entitled to incapacity benefit and rent allowance etc, and at that time they did not take my forces pension into consideration as an income, which clearly benefited me.

I have never heard of there being any cut-off date. If yoiu did the time you get the pension as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    When I was serving the rule of thumb for those who had not served a full 22 year term was roughly that a person had to have served at least 9 years, and would get a percentage, worked as 'number of years served over 22' at age 55. This was then index linked.
    As dandy commented, when I was long term sick after leaving the forces I was told I was entitled to incapacity benefit and rent allowance etc, and at that time they did not take my forces pension into consideration as an income, which clearly benefited me.

I have never heard of there being any cut-off date. If yoiu did the time you get the pension as far as I know.
    My point is that even if you did a few years (and less than 9 years) after 1975 you are entitled to a part pension, something that many people are unaware of. 1975 was not a cut-off date but when this arrangement was introduced.