+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helicopter crash an explanation guess

Helicopter crash an explanation guess

The rotors are not fixed as everyone assumes.
    As the copter rose above the stadium roof a sudden strong gust of wind caused the rotor to damage the tail or tail rotor.
    This happens and is most likely a low speeds.
    Helicopters usually take off and land in open spaces.

An unavoidable tragedy.

Re: Helicopter crash an explanation guess

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    As the copter rose above the stadium roof a sudden strong gust of wind caused the rotor to damage the tail or tail rotor.

An unavoidable tragedy.
    From the description of eyewitnesses it sounds like engine/mechanical failure. Spinning suggests rear rotor failure. Weather was good on the night so that's not looking like a cause. Years ago, there was a fly on the wall documentary following the training of army air corps. pilots. They were trained to land if the main engine failed. I think that can only happen if the rear rotor continues to spin to counteract the rotation of the main blades. Not enough height and forward momentum combined with a lack of rear rotor means the pilot had little chance of brining it down safely. Another hundred metres and they would be in the trees and may have survived.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    From the description of eyewitnesses it sounds like engine/mechanical failure. Spinning suggests rear rotor failure. Weather was good on the night so that's not looking like a cause. Years ago, there was a fly on the wall documentary following the training of army air corps. pilots. They were trained to land if the main engine failed. I think that can only happen if the rear rotor continues to spin to counteract the rotation of the main blades. Not enough height and forward momentum combined with a lack of rear rotor means the pilot had little chance of brining it down safely. Another hundred metres and they would be in the trees and may have survived.
    Interesting. Who was at the controls. Oddly there were two pilots on board.

Rear rota failure is the most likely option, but there's no point in speculating.

Harry. Speculation is important.
    We are speculating about whether our game next week will go ahead.
    The tail rotor was working. I think the main rotors hit the tail. That’s why the engine stopped. I think the angle of take off is critical. I find this an odd accident. Especially for such an experienced pilot.
    More that one helicopter has chopped its tail off or damaged its tail rotor.

The tail rotor was working. I think the main rotors hit the tail. That’s why the engine stopped. I think the angle of take off is critical. I find this an odd accident. Especially for such an experienced pilot.
    I'm not sure the cause of the accident will determine whether or not our game will go ahead on Saturday.

Yesterday you were speculating that Puel was 'most likely' on the helicopter and that you thought some players were too.

Both were experienced pilots and had to be for night flying.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Both were experienced pilots and had to be for night flying.
    One of the qualified pilots was the passenger. If you read the reports carefully.

The reports late yesterday listed Eric Swaffer as the pilot and his partner, Izabela Roza Lechowicz (who is also a qualified pilot) as a passenger on the flight. Not odd.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Yesterday you were speculating that Puel was 'most likely' on the helicopter and that you thought some players were too.
    I know. Strange individual and distasteful OP.. And as for it’s relevance to whether the game gets played or not - WTF?

If it was someone revered at our club getting killed in such a tragic way after a game, I’d want the game postponed I think

Feedback

An unavoidable tragedy.
    we should just dispense with the AAIB.

it was an open space. having flown rotary, there was nothing there that was particularly challenging. it seems like engine failure.

we should wait for the experts to issue their report

Do Helicopters crash more often than other transport?

Or is it like planes, where once they go down its a lot more catastrophic?

I can remember a few landing on buildings in the last few years like the one on Manor way and the one on the pub in Glasgow.

The Sun have now put up a video taken by someone inside the stadium
    It shows the whole horror up to 3 seconds before impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Absolutely horrific

I have been reading the professional pilot forum on this accident and the best explanation there IMHO is that the pilot may have suffered a sudden catastrophic incapacitation.

After a perfectly executed take off, the helicopter allegedly climbed higher than normal (apparently) and then for no obvious reason goes out of control in a spin.

A heart attack wil be being considered but everything else will have to be ruled out.

Professional pilots are more interested in this tragedy than most.

As a former pilot myself I am interested in these events and I did not intend to offend anyone with my OP.

Flying is still the safest form of transport, but not sure that the safety records of helicopter flights are any where near as good as conventional flying? I love flying and have racked up hundreds of thousands of miles in both planes and helicopters and even in a harrier jump jet. When serving in the Falklands I used to travel by helicopter on a regular basis and was never as relaxed as I would be on a plane. Even to the extent of my kids buying me a helicopter flight over New York some years ago, something I was dreading until I was safely on the ground again. I am flying again today and have no fear.

That said the Leicester crash an awful tragedy very sadly resulting in fatalities and unanswered questions. I hope our lot can pay a fitting tribute on Saturday without fear of ANYONE tarnishing it, I trust we will.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Flying is still the safest form of transport, but not sure that the safety records of helicopter flights are any where near as good as conventional flying? I love flying and have racked up hundreds of thousands of miles in both planes and helicopters and even in a harrier jump jet. When serving in the Falklands I used to travel by helicopter on a regular basis and was never as relaxed as I would be on a plane. Even to the extent of my kids buying me a helicopter flight over New York some years ago, something I was dreading until I was safely on the ground again. I am flying again today and have no fear.

That said the Leicester crash an awful tragedy very sadly resulting in fatalities and unanswered questions. I hope our lot can pay a fitting tribute on Saturday without fear of ANYONE tarnishing it, I trust we will.
    The interest in the game media wise will be huge. I think televising it might be being considered. No better reason to break the 3pm curfew and it would be good for Leicester fans that cannot travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Rear rota failure is the most likely option, but there's no point in speculating.
    https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/n...s-hint-2156884

A bit more expert speculation on the cause of the accident will be found here.
    A catastrophic failure of the tail rotor being the most likely explanation it would appear.
    https://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/61...ndolences.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High Bluebird View Post
    A bit more expert speculation on the cause of the accident will be found here.
    A catastrophic failure of the tail rotor being the most likely explanation it would appear.
    https://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/61...ndolences.html
    Lets be fair , yes a lot of flying experts on there , but our own AA knows everything about everything .

Very interesting read . One guy saying it would have been better to have taken off away from the ground (where he arrives) I get the impression wind is important when trying to land a helicopter with a TRF failure ?

I have been reading the professional pilot forum on this accident and the best explanation there IMHO is that the pilot may have suffered a sudden catastrophic incapacitation.

After a perfectly executed take off, the helicopter allegedly climbed higher than normal (apparently) and then for no obvious reason goes out of control in a spin.

A heart attack wil be being considered but everything else will have to be ruled out.

Professional pilots are more interested in this tragedy than most.

As a former pilot myself I am interested in these events and I did not intend to offend anyone with my OP.

That's interesting, not often you get a forum member who can lay claim to such skills. I'd be interested to know some further details, if you don't mind?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Absolutely horrific
    That was a tough watch

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    That's interesting, not often you get a forum member who can lay claim to such skills. I'd be interested to know some further details, if you don't mind?
    PPL passed in July 2005. Flew PA28s. Got a night rating.
    Didn't get an IMC rating as it was dangerous enough without trying to fly blind in clouds.
    Had some scary moments and gave it up as just too risky.

rather amusingly my logbook will always record Total hours flown 99.8.