+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Helicopter crash an explanation guess

Re: Helicopter crash an explanation guess

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    PPL passed in July 2005. Flew PA28s. Got a night rating.
    Didn't get an IMC rating as it was dangerous enough without trying to fly blind in clouds.
    Had some scary moments and gave it up as just too risky.

rather amusingly my logbook will always record Total hours flown 99.8.
    My shirt used to be stuck to the seat when I was learning to drive a car... I'd be a right bag of nerves learning to fly!

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    I have been reading the professional pilot forum on this accident and the best explanation there IMHO is that the pilot may have suffered a sudden catastrophic incapacitation.

After a perfectly executed take off, the helicopter allegedly climbed higher than normal (apparently) and then for no obvious reason goes out of control in a spin.

A heart attack wil be being considered but everything else will have to be ruled out.

Professional pilots are more interested in this tragedy than most.

As a former pilot myself I am interested in these events and I did not intend to offend anyone with my OP.
    Pilot incapacitation is unlikely as this helicopter was being flown multi crew by 2 type rated pilots.

Not being a rotary expert but according to pprune ,failure of a tail rotor at such low altitude and airspeed at night is pretty much the worse thing than can happen to a helicopter and is usually an unrecoverable situation as autorotation is impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    My shirt used to be stuck to the seat when I was learning to drive a car... I'd be a right bag of nerves learning to fly!
    When your instructor jumps out and tells you to do your first solo circuit …. you do wonder what the hell you are doing.

That said the instruction was top drawer. You need to fly because you want to. Not fly to keep your licence.
    That's why I let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High Bluebird View Post
    Pilot incapacitation is unlikely as this helicopter was being flown multi crew by 2 type rated pilots.

Not being a rotary expert but according to pprune ,failure of a tail rotor at such low altitude and airspeed at night is pretty much the worse thing than can happen to a helicopter and is usually an unrecoverable situation as autorotation is impossible.
    I am not convinced she was type rated. That's why she is referred to as a passenger, the pilots partner.
    I think pilot incapacitation is very possible still. It may explain why it rose higher than usual too.

Whatever they uncover it is so sad.