+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Etien Velikonja - Big Ken

Etien Velikonja - Big Ken

Don't know what to think of Ken. The first half of last season he had a stormer. Reminds me so much of Velikonja. Had a cracking game against Newcastle pre season and then died off. Both had bags of potential both haven't really lived up to it.

Re: Etien Velikonja - Big Ken

The first 5 yards and reaction time are his biggest problem he's simply not mobile enough against street-wise & world class defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    The first 5 yards and reaction time are his biggest problem he's simply not mobile enough against street-wise & world class defenders.
    Think your right , against championship defenders he looked good or okay , thank god we saved Brighton wasting 17 million , I'd never have forgiven myself, knowing they hadn't got their monies worth.

Lets be honest, we know that Ken isnt upto the job, he wasnt in the championship, the prem league has much better defenders and he just cannot cope

Not up to the job in the championship? What a load of shit. I'm keeping the with. He'll come good again. Bring him on half time 1-0 down against wolves!

The current version of Zohore does not deserve selection, even if we were in the Championship, but, between the time he came on as a sub against Wolves in December 2016 and the following October, he consistently produced performances of Premier League quality.

Although Neil Warnock has made comments recently which sounded like he had given up on him and he no longer is first choice to comke off the bench when we make an attacking substitution, I reckon our manager would have him back in the starting eleven like a shot if he showed a return to the level of performance he was coming out with during the period I mentioned. The ability is there with Zohore, but his mentality seems all wrong at the moment and whatever it was that our manager did to get him going two years ago has stopped working now.

One other thing, I don't see the Velikonja/Zohore connection outlined in the OP at all.

I can't believe you compared Ken to etien velikonja. Maybe Fred and Velikonja.

I like Ken as a striker he big quick and a decent finisher. I think the problem is he's not great in any of those areas.

He's playing against defenders who are stronger and quicker than him and better footballers.

He's not going to be the first striker who is struggling to score in the premier league. There aren't many players who can be prolific for struggling teams in the pl only 15 players got more than 10 goals and the majority of them play for top 6 teams.

I'm not sure the constant switching of strikers is really helping anyone.

I personally would stick with him as out of all of them I've seen Zohore at his best is the best option. I think we need to Get him working the channels where he might be able to use his strength against full backs.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    I like Ken as a striker he big quick and a decent finisher. I think the problem is he's not great in any of those areas.

He's playing against defenders who are stronger and quicker than him and better footballers.

He's not going to be the first striker who is struggling to score in the premier league. There aren't many players who can be prolific for struggling teams in the pl only 15 players got more than 10 goals and the majority of them play for top 6 teams.

I'm not sure the constant switching of strikers is really helping anyone.

I personally would stick with him as out of all of them I've seen Zohore at his best is the best option. I think we need to Get him working the channels where he might be able to use his strength against full backs.
    I agree with your comments about him working the channels because I'd say that's where he is most effective, but I'm not overly concerned about him not scoring, it's more his attitude that worries me. Although he wasn't playing as well when he came back from injury last season, there was still the occasional match where he would cause good Championship defenders all sorts of problems, but, for me, something's not been right with him from pre season this time around and I don't believe it can all be put down to the jump in standards from last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I can't believe you compared Ken to etien velikonja. Maybe Fred and Velikonja.
    Easy tiger. Velikonja got 29 goals in 52 first team appearances as a City player, an outstanding record.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Easy tiger. Velikonja got 29 goals in 52 first team appearances as a City player, an outstanding record.
    Was that some other Etien, or some other Velikonja, or some other figment of your impressive imagination?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Was that some other Etien, or some other Velikonja, or some other figment of your impressive imagination?

When he was out on loan I reckon

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

He did, in fairness. Shame only 3 of those appearances were for Cardiff. Got 28 in 40 apps for Lierse.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I agree with your comments about him working the channels because I'd say that's where he is most effective, but I'm not overly concerned about him not scoring, it's more his attitude that worries me. Although he wasn't playing as well when he came back from injury last season, there was still the occasional match where he would cause good Championship defenders all sorts of problems, but, for me, something's not been right with him from pre season this time around and I don't believe it can all be put down to the jump in standards from last year.
    He had a wage rise and his head went. Personally I think he still has something to offer.
    Obviously not heading the ball either.

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    When he was out on loan I reckon
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He did, in fairness. Shame only 3 of those appearances were for Cardiff. Got 28 in 40 apps for Lierse.
    I'm sure that is true, but when he was out on loan he was not a 'City player' even if City were his parent club.

I think it is a mistake to introduce facts and statistics when talking about Etien Velikonja. It detracts from the myth and the legend!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    He had a wage rise and his head went. Personally I think he still has something to offer.
    Obviously not heading the ball either.
    He was on fire the first 5 games of last season, after the wage rise. I think once the Brighton/Everton rumoured moves died, so did his commitment to the cause, so to speak. He's been a shadow of the player he was after that.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The current version of Zohore does not deserve selection, even if we were in the Championship, but, between the time he came on as a sub against Wolves in December 2016 and the following October, he consistently produced performances of Premier League quality.

Although Neil Warnock has made comments recently which sounded like he had given up on him and he no longer is first choice to comke off the bench when we make an attacking substitution, I reckon our manager would have him back in the starting eleven like a shot if he showed a return to the level of performance he was coming out with during the period I mentioned. The ability is there with Zohore, but his mentality seems all wrong at the moment and whatever it was that our manager did to get him going two years ago has stopped working now.
    Warnock has hinted that he may use one or more of his current players as an exchange for a quality striker. I wouldn't be surprised if ken was not part of a swap deal somewhere. Nadine will simply be sold for peanuts.

I think there’s a lot of revisionist rubbish written about Ken. In Warnock’s first season he was absolutely unplayable at times. My mate is a Wolves season ticket holder and he said that Zohore’s performance against them at Molineux was the best he’d seen form any opposition striker that season. If he could tear the Wolves defence apart in the Championship why couldn’t he do the same to the exact same Wolves defence in the Premier League? I think some people forget that outside the top six there are some bang average defenders in this division.

I think the problems with him are twofold. Firstly after our bad run over Christmas last year, Warnock brought Paterson into the midfield and we started to play a lot more long balls as opposed to the direct, counter attacking style that we had played before. This didn’t suit Ken because he’s useless in the air, basically he wants the ball into the channels or over the top where he can use his pace and strength to run onto it. My guess is that as we were at the top of the table, more teams were coming to sit back and frustrate us and Warnock figured we needed to change our style to adapt.

The second problem is that in my opinion, judging by his demeanour and everything we’ve seen from him so far, he is a total confidence player. That unfortunately is a lot harder to resolve. Warnock has got a lot out of him because he’s a superb man manager but it’s a question of whether he’s prepared to persevere with him through this goal drought. Me personally, I’d give him a bit longer particularly as we’ve got some winnable games coming up because at the end of the day, I do think there’s a terrific player in there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Ultra View Post
    I think there’s a lot of revisionist rubbish written about Ken. In Warnock’s first season he was absolutely unplayable at times. My mate is a Wolves season ticket holder and he said that Zohore’s performance against them at Molineux was the best he’d seen form any opposition striker that season. If he could tear the Wolves defence apart in the Championship why couldn’t he do the same to the exact same Wolves defence in the Premier League? I think some people forget that outside the top six there are some bang average defenders in this division.

I think the problems with him are twofold. Firstly after our bad run over Christmas last year, Warnock brought Paterson into the midfield and we started to play a lot more long balls as opposed to the direct, counter attacking style that we had played before. This didn’t suit Ken because he’s useless in the air, basically he wants the ball into the channels or over the top where he can use his pace and strength to run onto it. My guess is that as we were at the top of the table, more teams were coming to sit back and frustrate us and Warnock figured we needed to change our style to adapt.

The second problem is that in my opinion, judging by his demeanour and everything we’ve seen from him so far, he is a total confidence player. That unfortunately is a lot harder to resolve. Warnock has got a lot out of him because he’s a superb man manager but it’s a question of whether he’s prepared to persevere with him through this goal drought. Me personally, I’d give him a bit longer particularly as we’ve got some winnable games coming up because at the end of the day, I do think there’s a terrific player in there somewhere.
    Nice post and I concur

Nobody mentioned his complete lack of effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Nobody mentioned his complete lack of effort.
    He looks like he just cannot be bothered

Similar to Jay after his england cap

when i said he was not upto the job in the championship , i meant for a team aiming for the top 2 places, just too inconsistent for me