+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wembley pitch

Wembley pitch

What an absolute mess. Still has all the markings from the American Football that was played on the weekend. Very bare in patches too. Worst pitch in the premier by a long way.
    Man City 1 up.

Re: Wembley pitch

It looks really strange, it gives the impression that the pitch is very narrow.

“The home of English football”

What are those thick lines that run the length of the pitch, about 5mtrs in from the touchline on both sides? Are they how wide the pitch is for American Football?

Untitled.jpg

This shows it better with the block down the side. The pitch is awful in places but the markings must be really off putting for players and officials.

I went up yesterday and yeah NFL pitch is very narrow.

It’s looked poor (from the boxing) for the three NFL games so it’s no surprise it’s like this now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    “The home of English football”

colourful.

Shocking...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    colourful.

Shocking...
    Were you one of the Tartan Army that gave Wembley a makeover in 77?

In cricket you can be fined or deducted points for a poor wicket, with the pitch technology available today , this is shocking.

I'm guessing that when the American Football game was booked - Spurs were due to be gone to there new Stadium so there would be time for the pitch to recover and be re-marked properly before the next sporting fixture whatever that may be.

Would have been interesting to hear Pep's comments on the playing surface had
    Citeh dropped points.
    Watched the game and it certainly affected the quality.

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    What are those thick lines that run the length of the pitch, about 5mtrs in from the touchline on both sides? Are they how wide the pitch is for American Football?
    Indeed it is, you can even see the Yard markers on that pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I'm guessing that when the American Football game was booked - Spurs were due to be gone to there new Stadium so there would be time for the pitch to recover and be re-marked properly before the next sporting fixture whatever that may be.
    The grass football pitch at their new ground retracts to reveal an artificial American football pitch underneath.
    That's how they can host both sports in quick succession.

What an absolute mess. Still has all the markings from the American Football that was played on the weekend. Very bare in patches too. Worst pitch in the premier by a long way.
    Man City 1 up.
    Almost as bad as Ninian Park in the early 1970s when nearly the whole surface, bar the corners, was just sand.

It still didn't hamper our free flowing football though........

Were you one of the Tartan Army that gave Wembley a makeover in 77?
    No. I did go in 79 just in case we had a rerun.

Were you on the ‘crossbar return’ bus? 😂😂

Grey matter might not be working very good these days, but wasn't the "Horse of the Year Show" at the old Wembley, a few days before the Don Rogers, League Cup Final against Arsenal and the pitch was knackered.

Nothing changes.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Grey matter might not be working very good these days, but wasn't the "Horse of the Year Show" at the old Wembley, a few days before the Don Rogers, League Cup Final against Arsenal and the pitch was knackered.

Nothing changes.
    Think it was the Leeds Chelsea game, though may be wrong..

From what I can remember, there seemed to be more Scottish fans than English at Wembley in 77.

Disappointed to learn you were amongst those 1979 hordes wearing traditional Highland dress with those incongruous 12-hole Doc Martens and a lump hammer tucked into your sporran.