Click here for Cardiff City personalised gift shop
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: The Budget

  1. #1

    The Budget

    Not much to discuss really but is this the final nail in the coffin for the preposition that the Tories are the steady hand that the economy needs? They were supposed to balance the books by 2015, now it won't even happen by 2024 and we see this desperate tagline of austerity being over, those who want to believe it will and those that wish not to really don't have to dig very deep to find glaring evidence that it isn't. Liz Truss was on politics live earlier, I caught a bit as I came in from work and she said 'we have made work pay', I honestly can't remember a government who less fits that claim.

  2. #2

    Re: The Budget

    It was good news for Income Tax payers who have a car and like alcohol. There was some relief for benefit claimants too along with a surprise inflation-busting rise for minimum wage workers. Otherwise it was largely forgettable.

  3. #3

    Re: The Budget

    Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    It was good news for Income Tax payers who have a car and like alcohol. There was some relief for benefit claimants too along with a surprise inflation-busting rise for minimum wage workers. Otherwise it was largely forgettable.
    It sounds like a recipe for disaster to me!

  4. #4

    Re: The Budget

    If they had given everyone a thousand pound bonus , it wouldn't have been enough ,as the party is so disliked in many parts of society ,although I am lead to believe they are considered as the most successful political party in the world ,which only faltered in popularity when it was done over by 3 consecutive defeats by Labour under Tony Blair ( which I'm guessing some see as a soft Tory ).

    I've never voted for them or will do , however I think some Labour folk have a sense of Conservatism about them , and perhaps ,they like these budget decisions,if they didn't the Tories would never be in power ??

  5. #5

    Re: The Budget

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    If they had given everyone a thousand pound bonus , it wouldn't have been enough ,as the party is so disliked in many parts of society ,although I am lead to believe they are considered as the most successful political party in the world ,which only faltered in popularity when it was done over by 3 consecutive defeats by Labour under Tony Blair ( which I'm guessing some see as a soft Tory ).

    I've never voted for them or will do , however I think some Labour folk have a sense of Conservatism about them , and perhaps ,they like these budget decisions,if they didn't the Tories would never be in power ??
    Singapore's party has a longer undefeated record than the Tories.

  6. #6

    Re: The Budget

    Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Singapore's party has a longer undefeated record than the Tories.
    Think the article I read related to not just the longest undefeated period but the overall history / tenure of the party over a very long time both in and out of power, it was seen by academics/historians ,as a successful longer term political movement, not my political bag ,just found it an interesting read

  7. #7

    Re: The Budget

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Think the article I read related to not just the longest undefeated period but the overall history / tenure of the party over a very long time both in and out of power, it was seen by academics/historians ,as a successful longer term political movement, not my political bag ,just found it an interesting read
    Singapore's PAP has been in charge for 59 years but they've only been independent for 53, seems pretty good for overall tenure.

    Japan's Liberal Democrat Party are another, just a couple of blips since 1955.

    Don't want to stop your regular Tory love-in though

  8. #8

    Re: The Budget

    Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Singapore's PAP has been in charge for 59 years but they've only been independent for 53, seems pretty good for overall tenure.

    Japan's Liberal Democrat Party are another, just a couple of blips since 1955.

    Don't want to stop your regular Tory love-in though
    I THINK I'm correct in saying that the Singapore government is effectively a one party state.
    There is an opposition party, but they aren't allowed to stand in enough constituencies to be able to win a majority.

  9. #9

    Re: The Budget

    Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Singapore's party has a longer undefeated record than the Tories.
    LSE/Cambridge/Middle Temple old boy.

  10. #10

    Re: The Budget

    Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I THINK I'm correct in saying that the Singapore government is effectively a one party state.
    There is an opposition party, but they aren't allowed to stand in enough constituencies to be able to win a majority.
    Effectively yes. The opposition is controlled so they don't get big but also not wiped out so they can still claim to be a democracy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •