+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Brexit thread

Re: Brexit thread

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Aha! The Welsh independence thing yet again. Wishful thinking on your part perhaps?
    Oh no, the no deal possibility or probability even has nothing to do with Welsh independence, I just checked out what the FT political editor as well as what the Guardian journalists had to say last night and they agreed with the FT main man, they give the rationale as well, I looks like no deal has come up on the rails and hit the front inside the last furlong, will it stay there ?
    If it does then that has big implications for a united Ireland and an independent Scotland not to mention Wales.

Its all in play now.

Quote Originally Posted by trampie09 View Post
    Oh no, the no deal possibility or probability even has nothing to do with Welsh independence, I just checked out what the FT political editor as well as what the Guardian journalists had to say last night and they agreed with the FT main man, they give the rationale as well, I looks like no deal has come up on the rails and hit the front inside the last furlong, will it stay there ?
    If it does then that has big implications for a united Ireland and an independent Scotland not to mention Wales.

Its all in play now.
    How will it affect Wales? Surely if Brexit goes ahead it will satisfy the majority vote in Wales. If Brexit doesn't go ahead do you think that Wales will vote for independence in order to leave the EU? I very much doubt it myself.

How will it affect Wales? Surely if Brexit goes ahead it will satisfy the majority vote in Wales. If Brexit doesn't go ahead do you think that Wales will vote for independence in order to leave the EU? I very much doubt it myself.
    Economic depravation in Wales whilst watching Scotland and N.Ireland go and having to put up with perpetual Tory rule from Westminster if hard Brexit happens.

Economic depravation in Wales whilst watching Scotland and N.Ireland go and having to put up with perpetual Tory rule from Westminster if hard Brexit happens.
    On the other hand, Wales may be more deprived if it's economic fate is not tied to England whether we are in the EU or otherwise.

That is putting the cart before the horse, you asked ''How will it affect Wales?'', I gave my answer which you haven't disputed but you don't seem to like where the answer leads.

That is putting the cart before the horse, you asked ''How will it affect Wales?'', I gave my answer which you haven't disputed but you don't seem to like where the answer leads.
    I think you are sorely mistaken if you think that I have a predilection as to where things will lead. I ask questions in order to glean answers and always try to dig when people proffer their opinions. Some base their views on other than anecdote and myopia and others on information they have researched. As someone who can be swayed by the latter I am prepared to listen rather than shoehorn my opinions to fit any underlying agenda. I am not party political for that very reason.

You ask questions because you don't know, yes I get that.

You ask questions because you don't know, yes I get that.
    I am always happy to be educated to a greater degree, old fruit.

Robert Peston thinks the UK will leave the EU without a deal on 12 April, all the experts I have seen in the last 24 hours are saying no deal, will they be right ?

Oh things are moving fast as regards sentiment and its been like that for the last week or so, if I was a bookie odds would be changing all the time, latest whispers is the Government are going to give Parliament indicative votes [if and when MV3 loses] so a soft Brexit might well come into play.
    May/Government driving the car = no deal
    Parliament taking control via indicative votes and driving the car = soft Brexit imo, talk of 7 choices being on the table.

Oh things are moving fast as regards sentiment and its been like that for the last week or so, if I was a bookie odds would be changing all the time, latest whispers is the Government are going to give Parliament indicative votes [if and when MV3 loses] so a soft Brexit might well come into play.
    May/Government driving the car = no deal
    Parliament taking control via indicative votes and driving the car = soft Brexit imo, talk of 7 choices being on the table.
    We need a referendum regarding the seven options. That'll settle it...

We need a referendum regarding the seven options. That'll settle it...
    We need a referendum about the need for a defending

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    The Leave Means Leave march (which apparently cost people Ł50 each to sign up to) is looking pretty pathetic. Numbers not even in three figures, Farage has no intention of joining them other than for brief photo ops, barely a person under 50 which doesn't suggest that the people who will live with brexit are that motivated to "save" it. It just looks like a miserable time.

How many turned up to the People's Vote march again? I can't remember. Was it less or more than this?
    Another People's Vote march again today. Can it possibly match Nigel's for turnout?

Another People's Vote march again today. Can it possibly match Nigel's for turnout?
    Nigel is with his walkers today, and there are 137 ardent brexiteers marching alongside him. It's touch and go which one is bigger.

Nigel is with his walkers today, and there are 137 ardent brexiteers marching alongside him. It's touch and go which one is bigger.

Brilliant in London today. So many people (...although I still managed to bump into my next door neighbour . )

Like last time, great Welsh turnout too For a few short hours you got the feeling that sanity has been restored....

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Brilliant in London today. So many people (...although I still managed to bump into my next door neighbour . )

Like last time, great Welsh turnout too For a few short hours you got the feeling that sanity has been restored....
    Why did Wales vote to leave is beyond me, they missed a lovely day out .

[QUOTE=life on mars;4961510]Why did Wales vote to leave is beyond me, they missed a lovely day out .[

Trivialize all you like, but 1m people on the streets of London will have an impact.

[QUOTE=Swiss Peter;4961579]
    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Why did Wales vote to leave is beyond me, they missed a lovely day out .[

Trivialize all you like, but 1m people on the streets of London will have an impact.
    They recon a million marched against the Iraq war it made no difference.

What did make a difference was when the Welsh [along with Northern Irish and Scottish] stopped us going to war in Syria as in boots on the ground when they voted it down, the English mps voted for war the Celtic mps literally on mass voted against and for once we beat the weight of numbers of the English mps.

[QUOTE=trampie09;4961592]
    They recon a million marched against the Iraq war it made no difference.

What did make a difference was when the Welsh [along with Northern Irish and Scottish] stopped us going to war in Syria as in boots on the ground when they voted it down, the English mps voted for war the Celtic mps literally on mass voted against and for once we beat the weight of numbers of the English mps.
    Some English MPs voted against the government but never let the same old binary 'England bad, Wales good' slant go unmentioned.
    And the Celtic nations were hardly unified when it came to Brexit. Unlike Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland voted to remain in the EU.
    Oh, I almost forgot that you blamed that decision on the English who live in Wales.
    Silly me.

The vote whether we should have boots on the ground in Syria was stark, there was a clear divide based on what countries mps constituencies were in, English constituency mps voted strongly for war, Celtic constituency mps virtually on mass voted against war largely regardless of party allegiance.
    A million people on the streets counted for nothing before when it came to the Iraq war.

[QUOTE=Swiss Peter;4961579]
    Why did Wales vote to leave is beyond me, they missed a lovely day out .[

I'm not trivialising at all , and I voted to remain ,and I've been on a March or two in the name of justice ,and yes they are fun and uplifting, if your behind that cause in a passionate way (I get it ).

It just seems to me a vote was taken and a huge one at that ,and yes folk didn't agree , but surely we abide by democratic vote and decision.

Wonder if we will see calls for new votes for stuff like rail worker strikes now?

Wales in particular was strong on leave, and in particular the poorer parts of it ,as was the trend in the UK.

I might be wrong , but those very poor leave voters , perhaps would struggle
    to mobilise and afford that trip to London in that mass ?? .

The March in London would have been hugely bolstered by remainers , as London voted that way , and it has a better affluence to do so, and you can see significant money was thrown at it by sponsors .

Really pleased your day was good though 👍

We should honour the vote and leave the EU and then re-join if the people have changed their mind, no doubt if we leave come the next General Election some parties will put a pledge in their manifesto to offer another referendum to join the EU if they get elected.

[QUOTE=life on mars;4961611]

I'm not trivialising at all , and I voted to remain ,and I've been on a March or two in the name of justice ,and yes they are fun and uplifting, if your behind that cause in a passionate way (I get it ).

It just seems to me a vote was taken and a huge one at that ,and yes folk didn't agree , but surely we abide by democratic vote and decision.

Wonder if we will see calls for new votes for stuff like rail worker strikes now?

Wales in particular was strong on leave, and in particular the poorer parts of it ,as was the trend in the UK.

I might be wrong , but those very poor leave voters , perhaps would struggle
    to mobilise and afford that trip to London in that mass ?? .

The March in London would have been hugely bolstered by remainers , as London voted that way , and it has a better affluence to do so, and you can see significant money was thrown at it by sponsors .

Really pleased your day was good though 👍
    Yes, I agree with your point. I am solidly remain, but I noted yesterday (as with the last march) how unrepresentative the marchers are of the typical ethnic/socio-economic profile I see on the way to work, or walking down any high street. The crowd was diverse in terms of age, but that's it. (Hence all the "I'm really starting to get quite cross about this" style banners yesterday ). I accept that it needs to be seen in that context.

[QUOTE=Swiss Peter;4961620]

Yes, I agree with your point. I am solidly remain, but I noted yesterday (as with the last march) how unrepresentative the marchers are of the typical ethnic/socio-economic profile I see on the way to work, or walking down any high street. The crowd was diverse in terms of age, but that's it. (Hence all the "I'm really starting to get quite cross about this" style banners yesterday ). I accept that it needs to be seen in that context.
    Some of the effigy's of May were quite elaborate , and humorous, and dare I say costly .

Theresa May seems to be moving away from 'no deal' - BOO, it now seems to be dawning on her that it will put the union at risk = oi luv, the people voted for it.