+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gunnarsson's "long throws" ...

Re: Gunnarsson's "long throws" ...

We didn't come close apart from Victor free kick. We could still be playing now and we wouldn't have come close.

Ending the game with ward, madine and Patterson as a front 3 and lumping it up to them (all standing next to each other). That's barely championship standard.

Hardly won the first ball never mind second ball! Disappointing when the media keep saying set pieces are one of our strengths ...dont remember many goals this season from a corner or long throw ?

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    We didn't come close apart from Victor free kick. We could still be playing now and we wouldn't have come close.

Ending the game with ward, madine and Patterson as a front 3 and lumping it up to them (all standing next to each other). That's barely championship standard.
    With those 3 upfront it’s more like League 1. The end of the game was so poor. Almost embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Todays performance was shite, we threw punches for the first twenty minutes, Leicester adjusted and we looked clueless. I agree about a striker, but we have to try and keep the ball, we fail in that department miserably. Something needs to change, lumping the ball up to josh Murphy and praying that he'll produce something is as basic as it gets. Leicester weren't great either.
    Agreed, but I think those of us who would like to see us try to retain possession more have to accept that it is a low priority with this manager. I'm no fan of the "Warnock way", but I cannot deny that it has been effective at Cardiff up until this season at least. However, I was surprised, and a bit embarrassed, to see what we were reduced to by the end of yesterday's match - we made life so easy for Morgan and Evans.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Shhh View Post
    You, the linesman and referee also missed the fact that Vardy was offside when he received the ball.

The referee was awful today, the only thing he had right was booking Gray. We were not outclassed but we were not the better team either.

A draw would have been fair. A referee that didn't get caught up in the moment and we could well have won.
    Leicester were two goals better than us at least - the officials weren't great, but our defeat wasn't down to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Shhh View Post
    You, the linesman and referee also missed the fact that Vardy was offside when he received the ball.

The referee was awful today, the only thing he had right was booking Gray. We were not outclassed but we were not the better team either.

A draw would have been fair. A referee that didn't get caught up in the moment and we could well have won.
    Doesn't matter one iota where Vardy was when he received the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Doesn't matter one iota where Vardy was when he received the ball.
    Oh ok then, my bad. When the ball was played to him. You know what I was getting at though.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Leicester were two goals better than us at least - the officials weren't great, but our defeat wasn't down to them.
    I don't agree with your first comment but I strongly disagree with your comment about the officials. If Arters was a yellow card, Leicester should have had 4 or 5 before that. The game changed after Arters yellow card. And the constant barraging of the ref by Leicester players should have been dealt with but was not.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Why would a draw have been fair? They had more posession, more corners, more shots, more shots on target and they had a nailed on penalty/sending off denied.
    Vardy was miles offside, so whetherBamba handled it or not was irrelevant

As for shots etc.. there really wasn’t much in it.

2 saves from either keeper and 13-11 overall

Leicester were the better side, aided by some friendly officials, but not by a lot.

A lot of over reacting going on here and elsewhere again.

Murphy and Reid both got saved out of Schmeichel.

Don’t think Etheridge has much to do either.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    With those 3 upfront it’s more like League 1. The end of the game was so poor. Almost embarrassing.
    When we started doing that I thought we would have been better off keeping Murphy on and throwing Morrison up front than bringing Ward on

Considering Leicester had 3 players around Paterson most throw ins I would have thought it a good move to throw it to someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    Hardly won the first ball never mind second ball! Disappointing when the media keep saying set pieces are one of our strengths ...dont remember many goals this season from a corner or long throw ?
    Gunnars throws are too short and looped since his shoulder injury.
    Morrison’s are better but he’s the only one who can win a header in the box.

We really need to vary it, go 5 yards short of front post, so Gunnar isn’t straining, split Morrison and Bamba for more targets, get Manga in there as another target, don’t leave Arter on the edge of the box cos he can’t shoot. Get him in there to use his aggression.

Occasionally go short as well

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    Considering Leicester had 3 players around Paterson most throw ins I would have thought it a good move to throw it to someone else.
    He either won the ball or won a foul more often than not though. We need variation in our throw-ins as they have not worked as they did in the championship but it showed that Leicester saw Patterson's aerial ability as a threat. If he could work on his composure in front of goal (missed one really good chance yesterday) and not fall offside as often as he did yesterday then he could become our Glenn Murray figure - an unlikely threat at premier league level.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post

Leicester were the better side, aided by some friendly officials, but not by a lot.

But offside wasn't given so it's not irrelevant. Personally I think his arm was down so a pelanty would have been harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    But offside wasn't given so it's not irrelevant. Personally I think his arm was down so a pelanty would have been harsh.
    Surely that’s just the same as saying ‘a penalty wasn’t given so it’s irrelevant ‘ ?

The argument was that we were lucky the ref got a decision ‘wrong’, but in fact he and his linesman actually got 2 wrong in the same move.

I'm not overreacting. I wasn't expecting us to win and we didn't. You can look at the stats all you want (even though they're all in Leicester's favour) the most important one is "Cardiff City nil". If you can't score at home or stop the other team from scoring you don't "deserve" anything. So not a thrashing, we were in it for the first 45 minutes, but ultimately we lost to a better team. I expect more of the same against teams like Palace, Southampton, Brighton, Wolves and West Ham.

Surely that’s just the same as saying ‘a penalty wasn’t given so it’s irrelevant ‘ ?

The argument was that we were lucky the ref got a decision ‘wrong’, but in fact he and his linesman actually got 2 wrong in the same move.
    No because one event directly followed the other. If the offside was given, then the handball would have been irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I'm not overreacting. I wasn't expecting us to win and we didn't. You can look at the stats all you want (even though they're all in Leicester's favour) the most important one is "Cardiff City nil". If you can't score at home or stop the other team from scoring you don't "deserve" anything. So not a thrashing, we were in it for the first 45 minutes, but ultimately we lost to a better team. I expect more of the same against teams like Palace, Southampton, Brighton, Wolves and West Ham.
    Yes this is true. Ultimately the discussion always comes back to the fact (and I do believe it’s a fact) that sides like Leicester are just better than us. Not a million miles out of this world better like Man City are- but better definitely.

Therefore a 1-0 fairly comfortable away win is simply exactly what should happen given those circumstances.

No because one event directly followed the other. If the offside was given, then the handball would have been irrelevant.
    And if the goal had been given then the offside would have been relevent 👍

Either way it was correct the goal didn’t stand

And if the goal had been given then the offside would have been relevent ��

Either way it was correct the goal didn’t stand
    What goal?

What goal?
    The goal they would have scored with the penalty 😉

The goal they would have scored with the penalty 😉
    ????? He’s saved two this season ......................Etheridge not Bamba 😂😂