+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: At least the minutes silence was perfect

At least the minutes silence was perfect

I was genuinely worried that with the world watching someone would do something stupid.
    Overall as a club I think we came out of a horrible situation with a lot of credit.

Glad also to see ALL 5 victims honoured.
    I was also concerned it was becoming all about 1 man, who may or may not be the saint he’s being made out to be. It was getting uncomfortable, but in the end overall as a club I think we got it just about right- and that includes the support we gave our team and the stick we gave Leicester for their time wasting and haranguing of the ref.

Re: At least the minutes silence was perfect

I agree completely. I'm in 105 and I swear I could hear people coming through the turnstiles.

You lost a game of football yesterday but won a lot of goodwill and praise for the way your club dealt with a very difficult situation. Leicester City fans have praised the welcome they received from locals and the way in which the club dealt with the tribute.
    I expected nothing less Tim. In many ways yesterday was a good day for Cardiff City FC.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    I was genuinely worried that with the world watching someone would do something stupid.
    Overall as a club I think we came out of a horrible situation with a lot of credit.

I was also concerned it was becoming all about 1 man, who may or may not be the saint he’s being made out to be. It was getting uncomfortable, but in the end overall as a club I think we got it just about right- and that includes the support we gave our team and the stick we gave Leicester for their time wasting and haranguing of the ref.
    The minute's silence was observed impeccably, but, unfortunately, after the final whistle I witnessed some piece of shit mime a helicopter crashing (a circular motion and then pointing down) towards the away fans. I'm in block 117, right by the away fans so there's every chance that they would have seen him to do it.

I challenged the twat in question but he scurried off like the coward that he clearly is.

Someone else reported him to a steward so we'll see what happens. City fans like him are an absolute embrassment and I hope I don't see him down there again.

He was also mouthing off to a steward during the game (who warned him that he was close to being ejected) and spent 90% of the time gesturing toward the away fans instead of watching the match.

If you post on here, guy in block 117, on the end of row M, I hope you're ashamed of yourself.

Funny how we didn’t have a one minutes silence for the old fella who’d sadly passed away (big screen half time)

Guess he was poor so no one gave a shit.

150,000 people worldwide die every day, 1,600 Britons die every day, 75 Welsh men and women die every day. We must be thankful that only a minuscule fraction are deemed worthy enough to be remembered at mass public gatherings.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    You lost a game of football yesterday but won a lot of goodwill and praise for the way your club dealt with a very difficult situation. Leicester City fans have praised the welcome they received from locals and the way in which the club dealt with the tribute.
    I expected nothing less Tim. In many ways yesterday was a good day for Cardiff City FC.
    While I acknowledge that it is hypocritical of me, I was one saying the 90 minutes of football is separate to paying respect either side of the whistle, I found it especially frustrating that Leicester players spent so much time having a group chat with the referee with nothing coming from it and perhaps this was influenced by the type of day it was and how well our club had received theirs.

Leicester fans were the best we've seen down here but the officials (as a group) were probably the worst and their players took the mickey with their gamesmanship. It was like they had watched highlights of a Pep/Mourinho El Classico and thought that was the way to manage the emotions of the day. I suspect the media haven't made any comment on the ref or these group discussions because it doesn't fit into the narrative of the day although I won't worry about finding out.

It's true that we can be proud of how well we treated Leicester amongst difficult circumstances and hopefully both teams get a good season now. Think we can hopefully model ourselves on a lot of what Leicester did yesterday because they were tactically intelligent, strong at the back and quick and creative in attack.

We were well behaved, the reception i saw on MOTD for the team coach was great

Cardiff city came out of it with no points but it did our name the world of good

I just hope the world can move on now, i saw a old "mate" ( someone i knew ) of mine outside and he was close to tears, said it was going to be very hard and it was great we came together as a football family I guess the game / society has changed so much in 20 years, I get that it was sad for the Leicester players / club / fans

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    We were well behaved, the reception i saw on MOTD for the team coach was great

Cardiff city came out of it with no points but it did our name the world of good

I just hope the world can move on now, i saw a old "mate" ( someone i knew ) of mine outside and he was close to tears, said it was going to be very hard and it was great we came together as a football family I guess the game / society has changed so much in 20 years, I get that it was sad for the Leicester players / club / fans

It’s a strange one. The days of having typical British reserve and a stiff upper lip are long since gone. That’s good in one sense but there is now an emotional overload in reaction to certain events where to the vast majority of us strangers are involved. It is perhaps a reflection on our lives where life is so fast paced and pressurised. The emotional release may be reflective and a reaction to our own day to day stresses. Life is more emotionally demanding these days but less physically so compared to the generations that went before us.

It was right and proper that both sets of fans paid their respect yesterday, but the outpouring of grief in the last week OUTSIDE OF LEICESTER has amazed me sometimes. Perhaps I’m wrong but I don’t remember the same when Mathew Harding died in similar circumstances.

I found the whole day uncomfortable and the lead up to it. It was right and proper that we all paid our respects beforehand in the circumstances but it should have ended there. I felt like I was part of a Leicester city day hosted in our own stadium. Didn't enjoy a second of it and glad it's over.

I don't see what all the fuss is about regarding having a minutes silence before a game. I have witnessed hundreds of them myself, and been involved in a few as a player. They are normally held for people who are directly connected to the game of football. Some people seem to think that empathising with strangers is wrong, but Leicester City were our guests yesterday. Gestures of goodwill don't cost anything and are always appreciated. It should also be mentioned that lacking empathy is the number one characteristic of sociopaths. I've met a few and they are really horrible people.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    It’s a strange one. The days of having typical British reserve and a stiff upper lip are long since gone. That’s good in one sense but there is now an emotional overload in reaction to certain events where to the vast majority of us strangers are involved. It is perhaps a reflection on our lives where life is so fast paced and pressurised. The emotional release may be reflective and a reaction to our own day to day stresses. Life is more emotionally demanding these days but less physically so compared to the generations that went before us.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post

".....who may or may not be the saint he’s being made out to be".

Pretty sure he was pilloried by Leicester fans for sacking Ranieri.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    150,000 people worldwide die every day, 1,600 Britons die every day, 75 Welsh men and women die every day. We must be thankful that only a minuscule fraction are deemed worthy enough to be remembered at mass public gatherings.
    Glad you got that off your chest Organ Morgan. I mean it was only a tragic accident that happened a week ago involving amongst the other victims the chairman of outbound opponents yesterday.
    How inconsiderate of us to remember them at our mass public gathering, I hope you’re ok as you sound really down about this!

Cardiff City fans die regularly, former Cardiff City players also die regularly, fans of visiting teams die regularly, their former players also die regularly. A tiny few are awarded a formal remembrance the like of yesterday.

As stated in another thread, it's not about paying respects for a person or persons who have died but respecting a decision someone else made. If, for example, a person at the club or at the FA decided that fellow humans who had died recently in some tragedy or disaster in Yemen or elsewhere were deserving of a similar tribute there'd have also been absolute silence guaranteed.