+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Watching the highlights now

Watching the highlights now

Definite pull back from Maguire, but definitely outside the area. He was last man,although there was another defender near, should have been a booking too.

Also, we were totally dominant for the first half hour, so some of the comments about us being rubbish seem to forget this.

Leicester players constantly in the refs face

Ninian linesman missed the offside prior to the Bamba ‘handball’- no surprise, he was feckin useless

We don’t have anything like the arial dominance we had in the Championship

Re: Watching the highlights now

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Definite pull back from Maguire, but definitely outside the area. He was last man,although there was another defender near, should have been a booking too.

Also, we were totally dominant for the first half hour, so some of the comments about us being rubbish seem to forget this.

Ninian linesman missed the offside prior to the Bamba ‘handball’- no surprise, he was feckin useless

Does it show the foul on Murphy before their goal? Of course a top premier league team would not accept a foul closer to their goal than ours as defence for conceding 60 seconds later but we are not a top premier league team and need these decisions to go our way.

Good honest post

I think we're too naive & too nice.

Apart from Arter's petulance and Ralls red card, we're being out fouled, bullied and not in the referees face like most of the teams we've played. Leicester we're very good at that aspect of the game, like Newcastle before them. The tugs, holding, screaming, staying down and blatant harassing of the referee are a side of the game City need to learn quickly. Surprisingly I think we're too honest.

We were on top for the first 25 minutes but we run out of ideas when the opposition adjust, that's a concern as it feels that if we don't get anything during that period then we don't really have an answer or a plan to change things, we really need to capitalise when we're on top. The worry for me is that there isn't much method in our play, get at them early and see if we can pinch a goal is all well and good if it works and we can compose ourselves when the opposition start to put on the pressure. The majority of yesterdays performance was poor, Murphy looked a threat and did well, but our midfield was very poor, giving the ball away, conceding possession and lumping the balls into channels isn't going to be good enough at this level. We really needed a point yesterday, for me it's a big opportunity lost, especially at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I think we're too naive & too nice.

Apart from Arter's petulance and Ralls red card, we're being out fouled, bullied and not in the referees face like most of the teams we've played. Leicester we're very good at that aspect of the game, like Newcastle before them. The tugs, holding, screaming, staying down and blatant harassing of the referee are a side of the game City need to learn quickly. Surprisingly I think we're too honest.
    Des, with respect those traits aren't going to improve our chances of winning games. We can do all of the things you've mentioned and work even harder than we are now, it isn't going to be enough, we need some quality to compliment the hard work.

we need the team to be balanced to have any chance to stay up. Too many times teams attack down our right as they know Manga is not a right back and has no support. Morrison is struggling as his positional play can let him down and leaves Manga isolated as someone else stated. We are also obsessed with getting the ball up field in the air when a low cross could be more effective, Maybe time to go 3.5.2?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Des, with respect those traits aren't going to improve our chances of winning games. We can do all of the things you've mentioned and work even harder than we are now, it isn't going to be enough, we need some quality to compliment the hard work.
    I agree with your point but a good example is that Murphy got pulled back every time he went passed their fullback yesterday, Manga had the chance to do the same when Chilwell went passed him but didn't. Probert seemed to think pulling was an acceptable part of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I agree with your point but a good example is that Murphy got pulled back every time he went passed their fullback yesterday, Manga had the chance to do the same when Chilwell went passed him but didn't. Probert seemed to think pulling was an acceptable part of the game.
    Agree with that, a bit of cynical fouling at the correct time is a must. We do need to impose ourselves more.

Totally dominant? We we're doing OK and it was an even first half. Maybe if Camarasa's fee kick had gone in it would have been a different game. Once they scored though, it was all over. As for the arial dominance we once enjoyed, it's been completely snuffed out. We are being dominated in all areas of the game. We don't even look tough anymore. Last year we out fought everyone in midfield, defended like lions, attacked with pace and were very dangerous from set pieces. This year we're second best all over the pitch.

Someone e-mailed me this morning mentioning the Bamba handball incident and he said that Vardy was played onside because the ball reached him off a City player. Having now seen the incident on the club website, I'd say he was right because the ball comes off Etheridge thereby playing Vardy onside..

if you mean me about the rubbish comment, I did mention we were the better side for the first quarter of the game, but we were virtually non existent as an attacking force after that, Leicester were able to win nearly all of the 50/50s, they continuously passed the ball through us while retaining possession for long periods and when we finally did get the ball, we passed it straight back to them. We finished the game playing "parks football" - as you say, we don't have the aerial dominance we did have in the Championship, yet pumping the ball up in the air towards Paterson, Madine, Ward, Morrison etc was the sum total of our attacking ploys during the last fifteen minutes or so of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Someone e-mailed me this morning mentioning the Bamba handball incident and he said that Vardy was played onside because the ball reached him off a City player. Having now seen the incident on the club website, I'd say he was right because the ball comes off Etheridge thereby playing Vardy onside.
    That rule doesn't apply to goalkeepers making saves.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Someone e-mailed me this morning mentioning the Bamba handball incident and he said that Vardy was played onside because the ball reached him off a City player. Having now seen the incident on the club website, I'd say he was right because the ball comes off Etheridge thereby playing Vardy onside..

if you mean me about the rubbish comment, I did mention we were the better side for the first quarter of the game, but we were virtually non existent as an attacking force after that, Leicester were able to win nearly all of the 50/50s, they continuously passed the ball through us while retaining possession for long periods and when we finally did get the ball, we passed it straight back to them. We finished the game playing "parks football" - as you say, we don't have the aerial dominance we did have in the Championship, yet pumping the ball up in the air towards Paterson, Madine, Ward, Morrison etc was the sum total of our attacking ploys during the last fifteen minutes or so of the game.
    The deflection issue is a red herring.
    When the ball was originally played Vardy was offside.
    He might still have been offside when it hit our guy, but he was offside when the ball was played and 6-8 yards from goal, so I can’t even see it could be argued he wasn’t interfering.

I’d say our initial dominance went on longer than just th first 22 minutes, it only seemed to be the last 10-15 before half time that Leicester got in it( there were 30 minutes gone when Camerasa hit the bar, 37 minutes gone when Leicester had their 1st big chance ) and it was far from one sided in the 2nd half as evidenced by the highlights.

Not sure who said we were rubbish, there were quite a few very negative posts above.

Anyone would have thought we were thrashed.