+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Graf Zeppelin crash 1916

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Graf Zeppelin crash 1916

What a soppy pair they are, but I do think they deserve a minutes silence before our next home game

Oh, the humanity.
    OK I know, different crash.

A manned enemy ship. A fishing trawler. I think the fisherman did the right thing.

FYI, the Graf Zeppelin was a commercial airship not built until the late 1920's.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    A manned enemy ship. A fishing trawler. I think the fisherman did the right thing.

FYI, the Graf Zeppelin was a commercial airship not built until the late 1920's.
    I was thinking they could have taken their boat by force, chucked them overboard, and then sailed to Germany (or any other axis nation). It was a tricky dilemma for the captain.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post

Difficult call to make. your average german soldier was just looking to make it through the war no different to the British, and If they'd been clinging to the wreckage for hours and expecting to die then they might not have been able to put up much of a fight.
    But we will never know - if the germans outnumbered the fishermen then maybe the captain thought it was too risky

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Difficult call to make. your average german soldier was just looking to make it through the war no different to the British, and If they'd been clinging to the wreckage for hours and expecting to die then they might not have been able to put up much of a fight.
    But we will never know - if the germans outnumbered the fishermen then maybe the captain thought it was too risky
    That’s probably the reason. I doubt the fisherman were armed

If I had a boat I would have done the decent thing and saved them, death at sea is very cruel as those fisherman would know.

A lot of soldiers on each side were young ordinary lads, who probably would have rathered been down the pub or playing football,they had no choice but to serve .