+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Wetherspoons

  1. #1

    Wetherspoons

    Has anyone been in one recently?

    Not sure if they are all like it, but the Pontypridd one earlier was absolutely littered with pro brexit propaganda.
    Putting the dubious nature of their claims to one side, it struck me as odd that a business would do this - yes there are businesses who's owners have publically stated support for the EU or for Brexit, but I can't recall others who actively try to directly convince their customers one way or another.
    Certain newspapers I suppose, but are there any other examplesof this kind of thing, either pro or anti brexit?

  2. #2

    Re: Wetherspoons

    I ****ing hate Weatherpoons pubs with a passion.

    Another reason to keep out of them

  3. #3
    International Mrs Steve R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Barry
    Posts
    28,918
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Wetherspoons

    Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    I ****ing hate Weatherpoons pubs with a passion.

    Another reason to keep out of them
    They have the BBC news on most of the time, got to be worth going in for

  4. #4

    Re: Wetherspoons

    I'm a big fan of all of them except the Great Western near Cardiff General which has an awful layout. I've only noticed pro-Brexit material at the Pontypridd one and a single poster with Stop Messing Around at the Aneurin Bevan. Maybe all outlets are availed but only displayed when a manager can be arsed and agrees with the sentiment.

  5. #5

    Re: Wetherspoons

    Went into the Wetherspoons Forty Foot in Dun Laoghaire the night before the Ireland vs Wales game. Lots of advertising for Beamish at €2.50 a pint but nothing pro-Brexit. Perhaps its horses for courses!

  6. #6
    International Mrs Steve R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Barry
    Posts
    28,918
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Wetherspoons

    Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Went into the Wetherspoons Forty Foot in Dun Laoghaire the night before the Ireland vs Wales game. Lots of advertising for Beamish at 2.50 a pint but nothing pro-Brexit. Perhaps its horses for courses!
    More like flies for courses last time I went in one

  7. #7

    Re: Wetherspoons

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    More like flies for courses last time I went in one
    Hope they were still there when you left

  8. #8
    International Mrs Steve R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Barry
    Posts
    28,918
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Wetherspoons

    Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Hope they were still there when you left
    Yeah, I'm a veggie

  9. #9

    Re: Wetherspoons

    I was reading a Brexit notice in the toilet of the Ivor Davis Canton , he basically states that free trade outside of the Euro zone is being restricted, he feels we would be better served with being able to trade worldwide , and that the trade zone agreement in Europe, isn't that free ,in fact it's very restrictive , and costly , for non European imports.

    I suppose a sort of monopoly.??

  10. #10

    Re: Wetherspoons

    They have a go a Jagermeister in their little pamphlets and big up the British replacement

  11. #11

    Re: Wetherspoons

    Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    They have a go a Jagermeister in their little pamphlets and big up the British replacement
    Bloody hell very unfair healthiest drink on the planet and originates from our good old European allies ,namely Germany

    Its a digestif drink made up of 56 herbs and spices ,made famous in NYC bars

  12. #12

    Re: Wetherspoons

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I was reading a Brexit notice in the toilet of the Ivor Davis Canton , he basically states that free trade outside of the Euro zone is being restricted, he feels we would be better served with being able to trade worldwide , and that the trade zone agreement in Europe, isn't that free ,in fact it's very restrictive , and costly , for non European imports.

    I suppose a sort of monopoly.??
    I suppose this kind of idea is predicated on the notion that an independent UK would be able to get better terms than as part of the EU with these other nations, for these non European Imports.

    On a like for like basis I find that extremely unlikely, given the bargaining power of a bloc like the EU. An independent UK could, of course decide to make other concessions like opening up the NHS to foreign bidders, or accepting lower standards than the EU (chlorinated chicken) but is that really the way we want to go?

  13. #13

    Re: Wetherspoons

    Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I suppose this kind of idea is predicated on the notion that an independent UK would be able to get better terms than as part of the EU with these other nations, for these non European Imports.

    On a like for like basis I find that extremely unlikely, given the bargaining power of a bloc like the EU. An independent UK could, of course decide to make other concessions like opening up the NHS to foreign bidders, or accepting lower standards than the EU (chlorinated chicken) but is that really the way we want to go?
    We could buy our chicken from Gus at Los Pollos soon

  14. #14

    Re: Wetherspoons

    Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Has anyone been in one recently?

    Not sure if they are all like it, but the Pontypridd one earlier was absolutely littered with pro brexit propaganda.
    Putting the dubious nature of their claims to one side, it struck me as odd that a business would do this - yes there are businesses who's owners have publically stated support for the EU or for Brexit, but I can't recall others who actively try to directly convince their customers one way or another.
    Certain newspapers I suppose, but are there any other examplesof this kind of thing, either pro or anti brexit?
    I noticed it in the one in Ponty a little while ago and made it known that I wouldn't go back to another Wetherspoon while its owner was intent on trying to brainwash its customers with propaganda.

  15. #15

    Re: Wetherspoons

    Star wars bars, they are great, was in one on Monday night, Mos Eisley revisited, feel the force.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •