+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Goalkeeping question

Goalkeeping question

Not that I have anything against Etheridge, but how do others assess his communication skills with the rest of the back 4? Some keepers are vocal and are great organisers. Etheridge, despite many qualities, is a quiet keeper. Could it be worth trying Smithies, who has much more experience than Etheridge, just to see if he might be more able to help sort out our back 4? It would be harsh on Etheridge, without a doubt, I'm just considering options. Over to you all.

Re: Goalkeeping question

I don't think he's our problem if you look at the last few goals that have gone in.

I don't think looking at him is our priority either. He does a solid job, apart from his kicking accuracy.

Last week I watched Smithies playing for the Development team on that pitch that runs parallel to Leckwith Road. You can hear everything that's being said by the players if you watch a game there and I didn't hear Smithies saying much - so, if we're talking about communication skills, I wouldn't say he warranted selection over Etheridge on that score based on what I didn't hear last Monday..

I think Neil, seems to be shouting and pointing (more than Gunners, let it be known Jimmy ), all the time.

He is not the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Last week I watched Smithies playing for the Development team on that pitch that runs parallel to Leckwith Road. You can hear everything that's being said by the players if you watch a game there and I didn't hear Smithies saying much - so, if we're talking about communication skills, I wouldn't say he warranted selection over Etheridge on that score based on what I didn't hear last Monday..
    Fab. That's what I was interested in. Thanks.

I think Etheridge is turning into a real good keeper slowly but surely. clubs will be coming for him especially if we don't stay up.

We have loads of problems.

Goalkeeper isnt 1 of them.

Etheridge has one serious fault which is the speed & accuracy of his distribution. It was so frustrating on Saturday, the amount of times Murphy or Reid were free or 1 on 1 and Etheridge held onto the ball was poor. We have to take every opportunity that we can and not releasing the ball quickly lost us several opportunities. Man City have scored twice this season from long kicks and also tried it against us, if it's good enough for Pep it should be good enough for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    I think Etheridge is turning into a real good keeper slowly but surely. clubs will be coming for him especially if we don't stay up.
    Yes I begining to think he's fast becoming a very valuable asset, especially when you see the top clubs with very decent replacements on the bench ,look at Heaton and Hart at Burnley.

Etheridge is probably our most consistent player, a bit like Marshall was the last time we were in the PL. he has come on leaps and bounds since he joined us. I have always rated Smithies though, but why we paid £3.5m to have him as a back up I just don't know./

If Etheridge hadn't already committed to play for the Philippines, he would surely have had a call up for England by now. The called up Betenelli for the last game! Apart from Pickford they don't have much, Hart is out of it, Pope and Heaton have been injured. Their loss.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Etheridge is probably our most consistent player, a bit like Marshall was the last time we were in the PL. he has come on leaps and bounds since he joined us. I have always rated Smithies though, but why we paid £3.5m to have him as a back up I just don't know./

If Etheridge hadn't already committed to play for the Philippines, he would surely have had a call up for England by now. The called up Betenelli for the last game! Apart from Pickford they don't have much, Hart is out of it, Pope and Heaton have been injured. Their loss.
    Camp is playing well at Birmingham,surely he and Murphy were OK as backups saving £3.5m? Money for a RB or extra money for a Striker?