+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scottish football

Re: Scottish football

Quote Originally Posted by JennyWren View Post
    Spanish League, what is Barca's wage bill compared to Levante? EPL, what is Man C's wage bill compared to Cardiff's?

French League, what is PSG's wage bill compared to Caen's?

That's not the point, what is Barca's wage bill compared to THE REST OF THE LEAGUE added together?
    Nowhere near I would guess, likewise the other examples you gave.

In fairness to Rangers, they are making a decent fist of the europa league group stages

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    In fairness to Rangers, they are making a decent fist of the europa league group stages
    Indeed, surprising a few.
    Gerrard stock Is on the rise.

That's not the point, what is Barca's wage bill compared to THE REST OF THE LEAGUE added together?
    Nowhere near I would guess, likewise the other examples you gave.
    Many more teams in the Spanish League than the Scotch.

Premier League need to make it more competitive. My idea is to introduce a dynamic handicap system based on the current table when fixtures are played by penalising the higher placed team with a player less for a set number of minutes, perhaps four minutes per place. For example, top of the league team versus the 11th ranked, the top team plays with ten men for the first 40 minutes of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Premier League need to make it more competitive. My idea is to introduce a dynamic handicap system based on the current table when fixtures are played by penalising the higher placed team with a player less for a set number of minutes, perhaps four minutes per place. For example, top of the league team versus the 11th ranked, the top team plays with ten men for the first 40 minutes of the game.
    Make no difference to our game against Man City, it looked as though they had 22 men on the pitch at times.........no, not at times, all the time😂

Some staggering numbers in this thread.

https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/stat...496263680?s=19

The SPL is a joke.
    Real Madrid and Barca wage bill, €882m.

Rest of La Liga €883m.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Real Madrid and Barca wage bill, €882m.

Rest of La Liga €883m.
    That's 2 clubs then isn't it? At least there is some competition.
    That said it isn't a good situation either.

That's 2 clubs then isn't it? At least there is some competition.
    That said it isn't a good situation either.
    Celtic play in a league of 12, there are 20 teams in La Liga. It's the same thing.

Celtic play in a league of 12, there are 20 teams in La Liga. It's the same thing.
    I would argue that Celtic are playing in a league of one and Barcelona in a league of 2 (and a bit) which isn't the same.

There are probably other leagues out there which are close to the financial dominance that Celtic currently have though.

But it’s not the same is it. I don’t hate it but I do think it’s a joke that it’s taken even remotely seriously as a league and all the hyperbole about Celtic and Rangers belng massive clubs does my head in.

You mention €883m in La Liga for the remaining clubs that’s an average of €50m ish. In Scotland that number for the remaining clubs is only circa 10% of that number.

Scotland also has about 10% of the people it’s only got 2 million more than Wales FFS.

UEFA spotted the error years ago - in my opinion they’re lucky that their champions don’t have to pre qualify much earlier for European competitions and it’s only past glories that help there.

2 big fish in a very small pool. I’d find a way of bringing the entire Scottish system into the English system and have their leagues as feeder leagues (at appropriate levels) to the English system. You could do the same with the Welsh League I guess, but then all the bullshit politics of FIFA and national teams will kick in.

I would argue that Celtic are playing in a league of one and Barcelona in a league of 2 (and a bit) which isn't the same.

There are probably other leagues out there which are close to the financial dominance that Celtic currently have though.
    If Rangers weren't relegated, it would be the same. Soon enough, Rangers will be back at the top table and it'll be a La Liga mark 2.

Re SOC, there's no "error", Scottish teams did poorly in Europe so their coefficient dropped. As well as the fact the top 4 leagues wanted a monopoly on spaces in the CL.

If Rangers weren't relegated, it would be the same. Soon enough, Rangers will be back at the top table and it'll be a La Liga mark 2.

Re SOC, there's no "error", Scottish teams did poorly in Europe so their coefficient dropped. As well as the fact the top 4 leagues wanted a monopoly on spaces in the CL.
    You could be right, and I hope you are. The detailed look at ranger's finances aren't that pretty though. They've been stretching to get back in contention with Celtic, but are still miles off.
    Rangers are making a loss each year and Celtic, despite spending almost 3 times as much as rangers on wages, make a profit.
    This is due to the European money and commercial revenue that Celtic get absolutely dwarfs all of the other revenue streams in the league.
    If rangers owners have deep enough pockets to close the gap with Celtic and then are able to grow the commercial revenue to match then it might become competitive again.

As much as Scottish football is a joke, nobody can deny the passion the fans have for the game. Not massive crowds, apart from Celtic and Rangers, but they do get an atmosphere going, and the Tartan army must be amongst the best set of international fans around, considering the numbers they take to away games, and they’ve had the middle of a donought to shout about for over 20 yrs.