Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
Is there any evidence that teams in the bottom 3 at Christmas who spend a lot in the January window tend to stay up?
Crikey, there's a challenge! My gut instinct is to say probably not. I reckon it's more important to bring in the right players more than how much is spent. January isn't the best of transfer windows to get the right players in, by all accounts. I suspect (though I could be very wrong here) that more clubs bring in players for the sake of it depending on who they can get, rather than what they need, possibly because the players they need are either too expensive or not available. There's also a possibility that bringing in expensive players who aren't necessarily suitable to a squad, especially like ours, could end up having a negative effect on the team overall, making things worse.

That's why I reckon January is going to be important. We need to bring in players, that's a certainty, but not players just for the sake of it.

If I get bored enough later, I'll have a look at the last few seasons to see if there are any trends either way.