+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Saturday 8th of December. In my humble view that will be decision day.

Saturday 8th of December. In my humble view that will be decision day.

There is nothing I would like more than to see NW keep us in the Premiership this season.
    And despite always believing that the chances of staying up are very small I have also believed that being near the bottom of the Premiership is a far better option than being in the lottery that is the Championship. I really don’t believe that going down would guarantee new success in that division.

Taking some points off Brighton, Wolves at home and maybe at West Ham has to happen if we want to improve our chances of staying up. Then comes Southampton at home on Dec 8th. Another ‘not easy ‘ game but easier than many.
    If by then we are not totting up some points or at least showing ourselves capable of doing so then the question re NW’s future might be firmly on the table.

Will he go, will he stay whatever, will he be given money to spend during January?

In terms of timing alone if he were to resign or be fired then early December has got to be better than January thus giving somebody else the chance to try get more from the players and sign new.
    If he is to be given more money then getting players in and quickly must be the focus.

What must be avoided is not signing anybody until the last few days of the transfer window, in apparent desperation, whilst results might continue to be a problem.

So I hope that by 6pm on December the 8th that NW is absolutely clear on the best route forward for CCFC for the rest of the season and that the Board fully support his plan.

If we still get relegated with NW as Manager then the question of whether somebody else could have avoided it will always exist. I think we all know that sometimes it works, more often it doesn’t.

Re: Saturday 8th of December. In my humble view that will be decision day.

:

Have to agree with your post .

I would add a few points that may play out .

Warnock may not fancy another year in either league ,so let's prey a plan is underway .

I do think in a scenario of him going we do have a very strong backroom team ,whom i'm assuming want to continue working after Warnock.

He and the club have been fair and loyal to those that took us up , which I personally wanted, based on the last promotion failure to do so , and to maintain the squads unique togethernes.

If we buy sensibly we may survive ,who knows, we must not though waste our money on wannabes,just after last chance pay day's, and lengthy contracts, we cannot go back to those bad old days .

Biggest disappointment for me has been Zohore and Hoilett in this league ,they were such positives in the Championship,perhaps they have been found out,at this level ?.

I love the Championship and it's uncertainty, better than the Premiership , and the continued thoughts of losing every bloody game , or sneaking a win ,it's a league way beyond us at the moment .

I posted a few weeks ago that I believe Warnock will walk if he isn't enjoying his football. That may very well come if we carry on losing and get cut adrift.
    I agree that Soton is a very big match and could define our season.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    There is nothing I would like more than to see NW keep us in the Premiership this season.
    And despite always believing that the chances of staying up are very small I have also believed that being near the bottom of the Premiership is a far better option than being in the lottery that is the Championship. I really don’t believe that going down would guarantee new success in that division.

Taking some points off Brighton, Wolves at home and maybe at West Ham has to happen if we want to improve our chances of staying up. Then comes Southampton at home on Dec 8th. Another ‘not easy ‘ game but easier than many.
    If by then we are not totting up some points or at least showing ourselves capable of doing so then the question re NW’s future might be firmly on the table.

Will he go, will he stay whatever, will he be given money to spend during January?

In terms of timing alone if he were to resign or be fired then early December has got to be better than January thus giving somebody else the chance to try get more from the players and sign new.
    If he is to be given more money then getting players in and quickly must be the focus.

What must be avoided is not signing anybody until the last few days of the transfer window, in apparent desperation, whilst results might continue to be a problem.

So I hope that by 6pm on December the 8th that NW is absolutely clear on the best route forward for CCFC for the rest of the season and that the Board fully support his plan.

If we still get relegated with NW as Manager then the question of whether somebody else could have avoided it will always exist. I think we all know that sometimes it works, more often it doesn’t.
    Agree completely with this and I would say that if Neil Warnock was still in charge of a City team preparing for a season in the Championship next summer with a large transfer budget to spend, I wouldn't have great faith in him spending it well - he has made some outstanding signings while he's been here, but, almost entirely when he's been shopping in the cheaper end of the market, he's spent about 35 million pound in transfer fees this year and, of the five players brought in, only Josh Murphy and, perhaps, Bobby Decordova-Reid would be classed as members of our strongest eleven.

I mentioned in an another thread that, if Vincent Tan is going to consider a change of manager, then a defeat on Saturday would present the club with a fortnight to work on getting a replacement in. I think Mr Tan will stay loyal to Neil Warnock, but if he doesn't, then a defeat on Saturday would mean that we had lost nine out of our last ten matches (ten in eleven if you include the Norwich match) - all four managers who have left the job under Vincent Tan's ownership had better records than that at the time they were sacked.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Biggest disappointment for me has been Zohore and Hoilett in this league ,they were such positives in the Championship,perhaps they have been found out,at this level ?. .
    I think Zohore's drop in form and interest has been our major issue this season. No doubts Warnock believed he was good enough to lead our attack, which is why he wasn't in such a rush to spend lots on a striker. Zohore's slump in form has made that decision appear foolish, plus it has probably cost us games.

Thinking about it, has Zohore's drop in form been totally unexpected? Some were suggesting Zohore wasn't at his best at times last season. It looks like the second half of the 2016/17 season is the best we're going to get from him. Shame, as he's more than good enough at this level if he has the desire.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Have to agree with your post .

I would add a few points that may play out .

Warnock may not fancy another year in either league ,so let's prey a plan is underway .

I do think in a scenario of him going we do have a very strong backroom team ,whom i'm assuming want to continue working after Warnock.

He and the club have been fair and loyal to those that took us up , which I personally wanted, based on the last promotion failure to do so , and to maintain the squads unique togethernes.

If we buy sensibly we may survive ,who knows, we must not though waste our money on wannabes,just after last chance pay day's, and lengthy contracts, we cannot go back to those bad old days .

Biggest disappointment for me has been Zohore and Hoilett in this league ,they were such positives in the Championship,perhaps they have been found out,at this level ?.

I love the Championship and it's uncertainty, better than the Premiership , and the continued thoughts of losing every bloody game , or sneaking a win ,it's a league way beyond us at the moment .
    Whats the point of being in the Championship if you dont want to be sucessful and get promotion to the Premier League to test yourself against the best and improve, so that hopefully one day you can be an established top level team ?. Its not that long ago that Man City, Man Utd, Spurs, Chelsea were in the Championship/Division One or lower. Do you think that any of their fans had the defeatist attitude that is regularly evident on here ? Clubs like Leeds, Sheffield Utd, Sheffield Wednesday, Forest, West Brom, Stoke etc etc would give anything to be in our position now and wouldn't be continually moaning about it.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Its not that long ago that Man City, Man Utd, Spurs, Chelsea were in the Championship/Division One or lower.
    Manchester City were last at Championship level in 2002, 16 years ago.

Chelsea were last at Championship level in 1989, 19 years ago.

Tottenham were last at Championship level in 1978, 40 years ago.

Manchester United were last at Championship level in 1975, 43 years ago.

None of these clubs are even remotely comparable to Cardiff City in terms of their histories.

Whats the point of being in the Championship if you dont want to be sucessful and get promotion to the Premier League to test yourself against the best and improve, so that hopefully one day you can be an established top level team ?. Its not that long ago that Man City, Man Utd, Spurs, Chelsea were in the Championship/Division One or lower. Do you think that any of their fans had the defeatist attitude that is regularly evident on here ? Clubs like Leeds, Sheffield Utd, Sheffield Wednesday, Forest, West Brom, Stoke etc etc would give anything to be in our position now and wouldn't be continually moaning about it.
    So you want City to play at the highest level but you're not displeased that it's patently obvious we won't be next season? I don't think clubs like Leeds or West Brom or any of the clubs you mention would be remotely jealous of our weak showing in the EPL this year. I'm sure they all wish for better.

Its not that long ago that Man City, Man Utd, Spurs, Chelsea were in the Championship/Division One or lower.
    You post some absolute drivel, but this will take some beating.

Give Warnock the season, because were not going to stay up whoever is in charge, then wish him all the best. He was initially a short term fix and we cant plan properly for the future with a 70 year old at the helm.

Another season of Warnock ball is not very appealing regardless of the division we are in next year.

People will have been born and had grand children in the time since Man United and Spurs were in the old Second Division .

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Chelsea were last at Championship level in 1989, 19 years ago..
    ?

Well I at least don't hold TLG in thrall, believing everything he says is gospel......

Chelsea were last at Championship level in 1989, 19 years ago.
    My arithmetic was poor there. It’s 29 years, not 19.

I think I’m right in saying Manchester United have only played in the second tier for one season since the 1930’s, and yet our friend chose to compare them to Cardiff City.

What a plum.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Well I at least don't hold TLG in thrall, believing everything he says is gospel......
    Does anyone?

Does anyone?
    Even StattoDML didn't bother to query yer math.

You must have a little clout on here

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Give Warnock the season, because were not going to stay up whoever is in charge, then wish him all the best. He was initially a short term fix and we cant plan properly for the future with a 70 year old at the helm.

Another season of Warnock ball is not very appealing regardless of the division we are in next year.
    Agreed. We need a long term plan. Like Bournemouth. The foundations are there. Two more quality long term signings to replace Arter and Camarasa are needed. Then should we get promoted we're going to have to replace Bamba and sign an experienced center forward. There's no way to do it on the cheap.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Agreed. We need a long term plan. Like Bournemouth. The foundations are there. Two more quality long term signings to replace Arter and Camarasa are needed. Then should we get promoted we're going to have to replace Bamba and sign an experienced center forward. There's no way to do it on the cheap.

The kind of quality we need is not cheap and for some reason we are not considered by quality players as a club to play for

The only way to attractive to the kind of players we need is to demonstrate a modicum of success

Catch 22

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I think Zohore's drop in form and interest has been our major issue this season. No doubts Warnock believed he was good enough to lead our attack, which is why he wasn't in such a rush to spend lots on a striker. Zohore's slump in form has made that decision appear foolish, plus it has probably cost us games.

Thinking about it, has Zohore's drop in form been totally unexpected? Some were suggesting Zohore wasn't at his best at times last season. It looks like the second half of the 2016/17 season is the best we're going to get from him. Shame, as he's more than good enough at this level if he has the desire.
    I'm not sure that Zohore was good enough for the Premier league over a season, although i'd have predicted that he was capable of playing the odd good game or doing good things during a game. Ken is an odd player, not an out and out striker or a poacher of goals, when he first came onto the scene he was very good at receiving the ball in a deep position with his back to goal and turning defenders, he caused chaos and had a good eye for the final ball. I don't know what has happened to him, he looks overweight and slow in pace and reaction, it's like his head has gone. I said earlier in the season that he looks finished, that may sound dramatic, but everything about his play and demeanour looks like a man who has had enough. When I look at players and how they play, run and communicate I try to profile their character, some players are easier than others, like Morrison, Bamba, Gunnar etc, but Zohore seems emotionless, his face doesn't show much and he's not very expressive, it's very difficult to try and work out his character and how he's thinking. TOBW mentioned that he thought that there was an element of immaturity in Zohores game, i'd say that is the best description of him I've seen on here. I wonder if his non selection by Denmark for the world cup has affected him, or the expectation level of City fans as for a long period he was classed as an underdog.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

I think we, and the management team at Cardiff got it badly wrong about his ability in the top league, the only thing I note or refer too , was when this declined started , was it not close to the January transfer window last year ? .

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I'm not sure that Zohore was good enough for the Premier league over a season, although i'd have predicted that he was capable of playing the odd good game or doing good things during a game. Ken is an odd player, not an out and out striker or a poacher of goals, when he first came onto the scene he was very good at receiving the ball in a deep position with his back to goal and turning defenders, he caused chaos and had a good eye for the final ball. I don't know what has happened to him, he looks overweight and slow in pace and reaction, it's like his head has gone. I said earlier in the season that he looks finished, that may sound dramatic, but everything about his play and demeanour looks like a man who has had enough. When I look at players and how they play, run and communicate I try to profile their character, some players are easier than others, like Morrison, Bamba, Gunnar etc, but Zohore seems emotionless, his face doesn't show much and he's not very expressive, it's very difficult to try and work out his character and how he's thinking. TOBW mentioned that he thought that there was an element of immaturity in Zohores game, i'd say that is the best description of him I've seen on here. I wonder if his non selection by Denmark for the world cup has affected him, or the expectation level of City fans as for a long period he was classed as an underdog.
    The potential is there but maybe not to be seen at Cardiff City.

A new challenge is perhaps needed. A loan to a championship club may rekindle his appetite for the game. He may improve with different coaching techniques.

Sadly, I think that the current 'Cardiff' way is not bringing the best out of our players; certainly not at this level.

NW deserves all his plaudits for our promotion, as does his backroom staff.

Should a decision be made by VT to explore other options and bring in a management team who have a different approach then the times ahead could well be exciting.

The Bellamy option would create a refreshing impetus and perhaps better players would be attracted. I appreciate he has yet to manage but I believe that his footballing nous is one day going to make a club (like us or Norwich) a decent outfit.

Nothing against the nationalities of our current squad, but an injection of a few Welsh players (who were affordable this summer ... Brookes and Vokes for instance) may also prove to be an asset.