+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another mass shooting in the land of the free...

Another mass shooting in the land of the free...

Re: Another mass shooting in the land of the free...

I feel so sorry for the level headed moderates in that country.
    They have to live with right wing republican nut jobs who, when confronted on these events think the solution is more guns.
    The 2nd amendment was probably a good idea 150 years ago when half the country was a lawless wilderness but not today.

The fallout from the mid-terms has polarised the country even more. It's such an angry nation.

The answer is everyone over the age of 5 should have a gun so they can defend themselves.There I beat Trump to it.

What I love (in a shake my head laugh at the black humour of it) is the NRA enthusiasts now saying because California has strict gun laws this is why it has happened.
    No mentions of the victims who’s blood is still warm merely rants about constitutional rights

The answer is clearly to have people with guns in every school, bar, shop, religious building, government building etc etc. That should bring unemployment levels down.

Some of the anti-Acosta comments on Twitter are genuinely worrying. I really hope someone doesn't do something stupid.

Within 10 years they will have an annual purge.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    The answer is everyone over the age of 5 should have a gun so they can defend themselves.There I beat Trump to it.
    Next headline :

Nursery carnage as first-grader revisits former school

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    Some of the anti-Acosta comments on Twitter are genuinely worrying. I really hope someone doesn't do something stupid.
    That press conference
    Trump had to be coked up ffs.

There was a mass killing at a local paper and nothing changed, if anything things got much worse. It's very sad to see America go down this route and be led there by the President.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    That press conference
    Trump had to be coked up ffs.
    ....and the alleged doctored video making it look worse than it was. I've always felt we look differently upon America because of Disneyland, McDonalds, Coca Cola and the Simpsons, as well as the fact they speak English. It's as much of a basket case of a nation as the ones they invade, in the name of free speech and democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    I feel so sorry for the level headed moderates in that country.
    They have to live with right wing republican nut jobs who, when confronted on these events think the solution is more guns.
    The 2nd amendment was probably a good idea 150 years ago when half the country was a lawless wilderness but not today.
    The second amendment is over 200 years old. Written to protect citizens from tyrannical government. (like the British) by forming an armed militia as had been done at the start of the revolutionary war. The idea that it provides individual citizens to own assault weapons if ****ing ludicrous. But then arms is a very lucrative business so what are you going to do?

Just read this on Twitter

More Americans have died from gunshots in the last 50 years than in all of the wars in American history. Since 1968, more than 1.5 million Americans have died in gun-related incidents.

There seems to be general agreement that the shooter was a former marine - it's being said that he suffered from PTSD.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    There seems to be general agreement that the shooter was a former marine - it's being said that he suffered from PTSD.
    And he’d acting irrationally recently held in custody and cleared for release by a police psychologist
    Poor bloke (the psychologist) must be going through hell now

....and the alleged doctored video making it look worse than it was. I've always felt we look differently upon America because of Disneyland, McDonalds, Coca Cola and the Simpsons, as well as the fact they speak English. It's as much of a basket case of a nation as the ones they invade, in the name of free speech and democracy.
    Your probably right, I was watching the demonstrations on TV tonight in Pakistan because they released a women from death row who was caught saying a blasphemy comment ,and thought what year are we in , you then view the same type of angst demonstrations in the USA and it does make you wonder.

I am so thankfully I'm British .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Your probably right, I was watching the demonstrations on TV tonight in Pakistan because they released a women from death row who was caught saying a blasphemy comment ,and thought what year are we in , you then view the same type of angst demonstrations in the USA and it does make you wonder.

I am so thankfully I'm British .
    Are you?
    For mass yank shootings, see UK stabbings.
    I’d wager there’s more people stabbed to death over here, than people killed in mass shootings over there, considering population sizes.
    It’s legal to carry guns over there. Illegal to carry knives over here.
    Who has the bigger problem?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Are you?
    For mass yank shootings, see UK stabbings.
    I’d wager there’s more people stabbed to death over here, than people killed in mass shootings over there, considering population sizes.
    It’s legal to carry guns over there. Illegal to carry knives over here.
    Who has the bigger problem?

You’ve answered that question. Possession of a knife in a public place is at least illegal and there are efforts (sadly not enough) to try and curb the problem.

In the USA gun culture within certain parts of the population is glorified. I’m sure someone will be along with the stats but it’s quite disturbing when you read after any mass shooting how the answer from a sizeable amount of people in the USA aid to arm more people.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    You’ve answered that question. Possession of a knife in a public place is at least illegal and there are efforts (sadly not enough) to try and curb the problem.

In the USA gun culture within certain parts of the population is glorified. I’m sure someone will be along with the stats but it’s quite disturbing when you read after any mass shooting how the answer from a sizeable amount of people in the USA aid to arm more people.
    Both problems have no solution. Do you think there would be less shootings in America if carrying guns became illegal?

Both problems have no solution. Do you think there would be less shootings in America if carrying guns became illegal?
    Less is difficult to say, but you'd imagine there'd be fewer massive death tolls like the las Vegas shooter as it would become even harder to get hold of automatics.

Stabbing and knives is obviously terrible, but no one stabs and kills a dozen people. Maybe the stats show there's more death by knives per person in the UK than by guns in the US. I doubt it but I'd take knives every time as I can run from a guy with knife.

Ok, I've looked 2017, 688 homicides in the UK for 66m people. That's all, including the terrorist attacks in London and Manchester. About 1 in 100,000 people.

2017 in the USA, over 14,000 killed in mass shootings (4+ killed) in population 325m. About one in 25,000 people.

It's not even close and the UK stats are EVERYTHING not just knives. Don't believe the hype. When you read "up 20%" stories you need to see the raw figures or its meaningless.

Edit:

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...isto/23298797/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43905407

Also interesting to note in that article, it says over 14,000 killed and 29,000 injured in those American incidents. That is, get hit and there's a 1 in 3 chance of death.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Less is difficult to say, but you'd imagine there'd be fewer massive death tolls like the las Vegas shooter as it would become even harder to get hold of automatics.

Stabbing and knives is obviously terrible, but no one stabs and kills a dozen people. Maybe the stats show there's more death by knives per person in the UK than by guns in the US. I doubt it but I'd take knives every time as I can run from a guy with knife.

Ok, I've looked 2017, 688 homicides in the UK for 66m people. That's all, including the terrorist attacks in London and Manchester. About 1 in 100,000 people.

2017 in the USA, over 14,000 killed in mass shootings (4+ killed) in population 325m. About one in 25,000 people.

It's not even close and the UK stats are EVERYTHING not just knives. Don't believe the hype. When you read "up 20%" stories you need to see the raw figures or its meaningless.

Edit:

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...isto/23298797/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43905407
    How do you know those stats are real 🤔

How do you know those stats are real ��
    Yeah mate, probably thousands of people being stabbed in the UK without anyone being told, papers or police. Feck me...

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Yeah mate, probably thousands of people being stabbed in the UK without anyone being told, papers or police. Feck me...
    No need to get excited Lardy. It’s just that your telling me not to believe the hype, then quoting stats that you think are gospel.
    The killer in the States yesterday was an a ex marine with mental health problems.
    The stabbers over here are mostly gang members and wanna be gangsters.
    Whether weapons are legal or illegal doesn’t matter. It’s the human mind that is the problem.

No need to get excited Lardy. It’s just that your telling me not to believe the hype, then quoting stats that you think are gospel.
    The killer in the States yesterday was an a ex marine with mental health problems.
    The stabbers over here are mostly gang members and wanna be gangsters.
    Whether weapons are legal or illegal doesn’t matter. It’s the human mind that is the problem.
    To be honest, the "people don't believe in experts" thing really annoys me, this weird pride in ignorance is the biggest factor in the country crashing downhill in my opinion.

You had a guess about uk knives vs us mass shootings, fair enough. But after seeing you were massively wrong, instead of saying "I'm probably wrong" you seem to be saying "I'm probably right and the figures are wrong". Can you not see how nuts that is?