+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Another mass shooting in the land of the free...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Another mass shooting in the land of the free...

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    You’ve answered that question. Possession of a knife in a public place is at least illegal and there are efforts (sadly not enough) to try and curb the problem.

In the USA gun culture within certain parts of the population is glorified. I’m sure someone will be along with the stats but it’s quite disturbing when you read after any mass shooting how the answer from a sizeable amount of people in the USA aid to arm more people.
    Both problems have no solution. Do you think there would be less shootings in America if carrying guns became illegal?

Re: Another mass shooting in the land of the free...

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Both problems have no solution. Do you think there would be less shootings in America if carrying guns became illegal?
    Less is difficult to say, but you'd imagine there'd be fewer massive death tolls like the las Vegas shooter as it would become even harder to get hold of automatics.

Stabbing and knives is obviously terrible, but no one stabs and kills a dozen people. Maybe the stats show there's more death by knives per person in the UK than by guns in the US. I doubt it but I'd take knives every time as I can run from a guy with knife.

Ok, I've looked 2017, 688 homicides in the UK for 66m people. That's all, including the terrorist attacks in London and Manchester. About 1 in 100,000 people.

2017 in the USA, over 14,000 killed in mass shootings (4+ killed) in population 325m. About one in 25,000 people.

It's not even close and the UK stats are EVERYTHING not just knives. Don't believe the hype. When you read "up 20%" stories you need to see the raw figures or its meaningless.

Edit:

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...isto/23298797/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43905407

Also interesting to note in that article, it says over 14,000 killed and 29,000 injured in those American incidents. That is, get hit and there's a 1 in 3 chance of death.