+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Another mass shooting in the land of the free...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Another mass shooting in the land of the free...

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    At the end of the day do you really need stats to back up that it’s easier to kill lots of people with a gun than a knife?
    I didn’t say that. My point is, we are very quick to condemn the yanks and there gun laws. But we have our own problems over here as well with knives and guns( albeit on a smaller scale). At least the yanks hand out large clink sentences. You can murrder someone in cold blood over here at the age of 20, and be back on the streets before your 30. Anyway, that’s another discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I didn’t say that. My point is, we are very quick to condemn the yanks and there gun laws. But we have our own problems over here as well with knives and guns( albeit on a smaller scale). At least the yanks hand out large clink sentences. You can murrder someone in cold blood over here at the age of 20, and be back on the streets before your 30. Anyway, that’s another discussion.
    The yanks have very different laws in different states.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimin...ing_of_killers

And to be honest, I think we have every right to condemn the yanks and their gun laws, as they have hundreds of mass shootings every year and we've had (I think I'm right in saying) three ever.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    The yanks have very different laws in different states.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimin...ing_of_killers

And to be honest, I think we have every right to condemn the yanks and their gun laws, as they have hundreds of mass shootings every year and we've had (I think I'm right in saying) three ever.
    Three would be hungerford, dunblane and Whitehaven?

I think the USA definition is more than 4 people shot not including the shooter or something like that.
    I would imagine that there must have been some incidents during the troubles that would fall into that category, wasn't there a pub that was shot up by one side or other (can't remember which). Maybe they don't count those for some reason.

If it is just that three then they were in 87, 93 and 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Three would be hungerford, dunblane and Whitehaven?

I think the USA definition is more than 4 people shot not including the shooter or something like that.
    I would imagine that there must have been some incidents during the troubles that would fall into that category, wasn't there a pub that was shot up by one side or other (can't remember which). Maybe they don't count those for some reason.

If it is just that three then they were in 87, 93 and 2010
    Yes that's the three I was thinking of. What was the IRA one in a pub? I can only remember pub bombings. Was it in GB or N Ireland?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Yes that's the three I was thinking of. What was the IRA one in a pub? I can only remember pub bombings. Was it in GB or N Ireland?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loughinisland_massacre

In northern Ireland, 6 people killed by uvf terrorists.
    That 87-94 period was definitely the worst period for mass shootings in the UK. Since the law changed there has been one in 24 years.
    Total coincidence but we've also never had a mass shooting under a labour government it seems

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loughinisland_massacre

In northern Ireland, 6 people killed by uvf terrorists.
    That 87-94 period was definitely the worst period for mass shootings in the UK. Since the law changed there has been one in 24 years.
    Total coincidence but we've also never had a mass shooting under a labour government it seems
    Cheers for that. I guess it could be argued (if anyone was interested enough which they're not) that the IRA or other paramilitary groups can get hold of guns in a way that ordinary people/criminals/nutcases can't, so they're not quite the same.