+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who should we go for in January

Who should we go for in January

I'm no expert, I don't know what wages players are on, I don't know what fees we'd have to pay for academy player etc, however, it is obvious that we need to strengthen in January. Some on here say right back, midfielder and striker is all we need, others say we need much, much more.

I've done no research other than (I think) the majority of these players are out of contract soon (and I think they are their preferred positions), so could we get them on the cheap. Even if we could get them on the cheap, would they be viable options, would they come to us, would their club sell them to us, would Warnock want them or would you want them here? Some may even be ludicrous or they may not, I don't know, I'm just a city fan.

Right backs, Danny Simpson (31, Leicester), Martin Kelly (28, Palace), Domini Iorfa (23, Wolves), Erik Durm (26, Huddersfield)

I was going to mention Declan Rice as a CB from West Ham, but I have seen that he is playing regularly, so will most probably sign a new contract.

Midfielders, Ben Arfa (31, Stad Rennais), Jack Rodwell (27, Blackburn), Nemanja Radoja (25, Celta Vigo), Brahim Diaz (19, Man City, possible loan?)

Forwards, Markovic (24, Liverpool, possible loan), Lorrente (33, Spurs, Loan), Maupay (22, Brentford), Callum Robinson (23, Preston), Iker Munian (25, Athletic Bilboa).

Any other suggestions welcome, especially if the ones I've suggested are no good, cost too much, ludicrous.

Re: Who should we go for in January

Think Danny Simpson and Martin Kelly are decent shouts for a club with our finances.

Not so sure about the midfielders - I'd say they are lower priorities than other positions.

Lorrente on loan would be a realistic target in my opinion and Brentford could probably be tempted to part with Maupay, but I'm not sure how much he'd cost.

Lacina Traore on a free from Roma

And Paul Onuachu from FKM in Denmark

2 physical 6 foot 7+ strikers

Play them both up front in a twin towers approach, with Paterson just behind.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Think Danny Simpson and Martin Kelly are decent shouts for a club with our finances.

Not so sure about the midfielders - I'd say they are lower priorities than other positions.

Lorrente on loan would be a realistic target in my opinion and Brentford could probably be tempted to part with Maupay, but I'm not sure how much he'd cost.
    Think I should have put Diaz as a forward typed player not midfielder.

Danny Simpson and Neil Maupay are great shouts in fairness. I'd have a look at someone like Defoe too.

£10 million for a half season rental of Rambo's contract anyone ? Then let him walk as a FA.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Lacina Traore on a free from Roma

And Paul Onuachu from FKM in Denmark

2 physical 6 foot 7+ strikers

Play them both up front in a twin towers approach, with Paterson just behind.

Do we have any scouts bringing forward players from Europe ?

From what I remember Camarase was a fluke, a happenchance piece of good fortune rather the result of a good scouting network

We need more because imo Europeans can be more skillful and don’t cost as much in signing or In inflated wages than Brits

In today’s press conference Warnock said the club had already had a few knock backs on prospective January signings - either because the player didn’t fancy a move to Cardiff or because they had recently found some form and their price had risen too high.

I can’t remember exactly what he said but my impression was that he was talking about strikers and I’m sure he referred to European leagues!

A random name for you ... £600k bargain striker, International, 33 goals in last 77 games. 6'3" . Sory Kaba

I don't think we will attract anyone of real quality , I've always felt that English players dont fancy Cardiff as a choice, where as the Scottish and Irish lads do.

Realistically we may need to settle for a Cameron Jerome type striker.

Wayne Rooney and Gary Cahill. Just invest in big wages not fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    A random name for you ... £600k bargain striker, International, 33 goals in last 77 games. 6'3" . Sory Kaba
    Looks strong and fairly quick, although playing at the Spanish second division at the moment.

I think 600k is extremely unlikely though

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I don't think we will attract anyone of real quality , I've always felt that English players dont fancy Cardiff as a choice, where as the Scottish and Irish lads do.

Realistically we may need to settle for a Cameron Jerome type striker.
    If i hear that name again I'll cry.

How about Llorente on loan from spurs? Spurs' wage structure, although it dwarfs ours, is definitely more conservative than other big teams. Can't see him on more than 50k a week, perhaps we could pay half that. He's a proven goalscorer and is physical

If we don't get another win between now and Christmas, I think we'd be better off saving everything for the summer and making some quality long term signings.

Chuks Aneke is doing very well at league 2.

Could be a low risk Omar Bogle type of gamble

There's a young goalscorer at MK Dons called Rhys Healey who we could probably afford.

IMHO it will be more difficult to sign a striker now than at the start of the season. At least then we were still on a level playing field, i.e. 0 points with the other clubs. By January we'll be deep in a relegation battle and less of an attraction, especially for any permanent signing.

I hope NW surprises us all & pulls of a coup.

I guess we'll see VT's true intent as well, all in to stay up or minimise investment & accept relegation.

On team on January 12th against Huddersfield will reveal all.

I would have thought a loan signing would be the best option for club and player in January.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    I would have thought a loan signing would be the best option for club and player in January.
    So Llorente?

I don’t see spurs letting him go tbh. They need him as back up for Kane. Plus as an ex Swansea player I just dont see it working.

I think we have to set our sights lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    IMHO it will be more difficult to sign a striker now than at the start of the season. At least then we were still on a level playing field, i.e. 0 points with the other clubs. By January we'll be deep in a relegation battle and less of an attraction, especially for any permanent signing.

I hope NW surprises us all & pulls of a coup.

I guess we'll see VT's true intent as well, all in to stay up or minimise investment & accept relegation.

On team on January 12th against Huddersfield will reveal all.
    Unless like you say NW pulls of a coup, we can only afford expiring contracts, lower leagues or abroad (which could be part of NW coup). Any others than Maupay we could realistically entice?

Btw Llorente contract expiring so.unlikely to be loaned out.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    In today’s press conference Warnock said the club had already had a few knock backs on prospective January signings - either because the player didn’t fancy a move to Cardiff or because they had recently found some form and their price had risen too high.

I can’t remember exactly what he said but my impression was that he was talking about strikers and I’m sure he referred to European leagues!
    Getting his excuses in early by the sounds of it

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Shhh View Post
    So Llorente?
    No chance

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    If we don't get another win between now and Christmas, I think we'd be better off saving everything for the summer and making some quality long term signings.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Wayne Rooney and Gary Cahill. Just invest in big wages not fees.
    That appeals ,good quality players ,who are great adverts for the game , as long as we drop them away at season end ,it woudl be a bold move and may keep us up ?.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Shhh View Post
    we can only afford expiring contracts, lower leagues or abroad
    Not sure how you calculate that, the bottom club in the Premiership is guaranteed £95 Million in TV & prize money, Wolves got £7M last season for winning the Championship. I know there are other payments, like the parachute payments but the cost of relegation in TV & prize money is around £90Million.

I don't agree with sitting back and taking our chances next year (ask the Jacks, West Brom or Stoke). I'm not advocating an uncontrolled spend but to sit back and lose £90Million is unacceptable business practise.