+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gunnarsson - Premier league player

Gunnarsson - Premier league player

What a performance today and he’s been quality since he’s some back.
    Didn’t think he had it in him but he has.

Re: Gunnarsson - Premier league player

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    He was great today and I admire your optimism, hope you're spot on. I'd say that he needs to perform like that for a sustained period before we can say for sure, although it looks promising as he's probably not 100% yet due to his lay off with injury.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Always been a top player in my eyes..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Always been a top player in my eyes..
    I've always liked him, always thought that he lifts the players around him. He's a decent footballer and his influence on the players around him is massive. There does seem to be a bit of a Ralls v Gunnar thing going on with our support, can't understand why.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He was great today and I admire your optimism, hope you're spot on. I'd say that he needs to perform like that for a sustained period before we can say for sure, although it looks promising as he's probably not 100% yet due to his lay off with injury.
    He is an International Captain with many caps so of course he is Premier League class and our most experienced player at top level football.

He didn't celebrate the winning goal but instead walked slowly down the front of the Ninian giving the whole stand a Viking stare. Mr. Angry :) Daring us not to believe.

He does the dirty stuff efficiently and has great positional sense.

Although I was hopeful, I didn't think we'd pull off a victory today with Arter out. I was less hopeful when I heard that Ralls (decent considering he's been out) and Cunningham (poor) were starting.

Our victory is testament to Gunnarson, who seems to be getting back to full fitness and is a very important to the side.

Thought it was a good game for unheralded players yesterday. Gunnarsson was very good throughout the second half when we generally gave a demonstration of how not to play when up against ten men, while Harris showed he can contribute at this level and would have been more of a factor if we could have done a better job of getting him on the ball.

I thought Gunnar was half our problem. He was man marking March until he was subbed. This meant we ended up with 5 at the back with a huge hole in midfield. He always drops too deep. Maybe he is only doing what he's told.

Better the second half but movement off the ball was poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Porth Pouncer View Post
    I thought Gunnar was half our problem. He was man marking March until he was subbed. This meant we ended up with 5 at the back with a huge hole in midfield. He always drops too deep. Maybe he is only doing what he's told.

Better the second half but movement off the ball was poor.
    I thought our problem is that we don't play possession football and found it difficult unlocking a side as opposed to catching them on the break.I also thought Warnock solved the problem you mention by subbing Ralls for Reid.

His work in winning the ball was superb. Only issue I had was his use of it when they sat back, it wasn’t great.
    Personally I thought we should have gone 3 at the back when they went down to 10. Taken Manga off and brought Reid on.

We were far too slow moving the ball and as said above we don’t really have the creativity to break teams down when they sit back.

Biggest disappointment for me was Murphy, his first poor game in a City shirt and I have to feel for Manga, he looks so uncomfortable at right back. Brighton basically gave him as much space as he wanted and Ralls kept passing to him

He’s a Warnock player, and he’s been fantastic ever since Neil took over. He’s had the off bad game tha usually comes after returning from injury. Although this time he seems to got up to pace straight away.

He was outstanding as he was in the last home game , not sure if he can put this effort in, week in and out , and it would be wrong of us to expect that . (Others have to step up .)

Patterson is also covering a lot of ground and working his socks off.

Edridges save was world class.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post

Biggest disappointment for me was Murphy, his first poor game in a City shirt and I have to feel for Manga, he looks so uncomfortable at right back. Brighton basically gave him as much space as he wanted and Ralls kept passing to him
    Both Murphy & Hoilett came back for the ball when we had possession. Both have plenty of pace & should have played on the shoulder of the full back but they both dropped back and compressed the space instead of opening the width up. It also meant that when they got the ball they had to beat both the midfielder & fullback.

When we have so much pace with Murphy, Harris & Reid I don't understand why we don't put the ball in behind fullbacks, we're forever putting the ball behind or to the feet of the wide players instead of trying to turn defences.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    He was outstanding as he was in the last home game , not sure if he can put this effort in, week in and out , and it would be wrong of us to expect that . (Others have to step up .)

Patterson is also covering a lot of ground and working his socks off.

Edridges save was world class.
    Last home game was Leicester, I thought he was poorin that one, but excellent v Fulham

I thought he got better when he was given the Captain's arm band. He seems to thrive when he's the captain.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I've always liked him, always thought that he lifts the players around him. He's a decent footballer and his influence on the players around him is massive. There does seem to be a bit of a Ralls v Gunnar thing going on with our support, can't understand why.
    This is it for me, he makes everyone better, he gives us something else rather than just what he does on the pitch. He's got that drive that we lack without him in the team. Will be interesting who misses out vs Everton, or whether he plays all 4 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Last home game was Leicester, I thought he was poorin that one, but excellent v Fulham
    You're right, he was anonymous against Leicester. I'm not quite sure why some in this thread are saying he's been outstanding since he came back.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    You're right, he was anonymous against Leicester. I'm not quite sure why some in this thread are saying he's been outstanding since he came back.
    He's made a difference in the games we've won? That's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He's made a difference in the games we've won? That's why.
    The point I was trying to make is that some are saying he's been quality since he came back - I was pointing out that he hasn't been quality in every game he's played since his return... the Leicester game.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    The point I was trying to make is that some are saying he's been quality since he came back - I was pointing out that he hasn't been quality in every game he's played since his return... the Leicester game.
    Everyone was poor against Leicester but he's made a hell of a difference in the other games.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    I thought he got better when he was given the Captain's arm band. He seems to thrive when he's the captain.
    He was the effective captain from the first whistle. I'm not knocking Morrison, but Gunnar was the one talking and organising through the whole game, and he was like an on-field coach to Kadeem for 90+ minutes. As a DM he is excellent - he wins so many balls back when we have lost possession, and stays just the right side of the line when it would be easy to concede fouls. Maybe he is lacking a bit with pinpoint 50 yard passes, and as Vincent says, he doesn't score enough goals from our own half. But everything else - great performance.