+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff find a way in game they “had to win”.

Cardiff find a way in game they “had to win”.

Re: Cardiff find a way in game they “had to win”.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    When you listen to both Duffy and Hughton after the match you would have thought that Bamba was about 5 yards offside in the build up to his goal. Hughton even said it was an easy decision for the linesman to make (paraphrasing as I can’t remember his actual words). The linesman couldn’t see through Hoilett and not a single Brighton defender appealed, yes he was offside but it wasn’t the straightforward decision that Brighton made it out to be post match.

Quote Originally Posted by rs3100 View Post
    When you listen to both Duffy and Hughton after the match you would have thought that Bamba was about 5 yards offside in the build up to his goal. Hughton even said it was an easy decision for the linesman to make (paraphrasing as I can’t remember his actual words). The linesman couldn’t see through Hoilett and not a single Brighton defender appealed, yes he was offside but it wasn’t the straightforward decision that Brighton made it out to be post match.
    Yes, I've seen both of the game's main talking points on Match of the Day now and I certainly agree with you about Bamba's goal - as Gary Lineker said, the right decision would have been made if VAR was in place, but, without it, it was a very tough decision for the linesman to get right.

As for the sending off, I just don't get how anyone could think it wasn't the right decision by Martin Atkinson given the modern day interpretation of what constitutes a red card offence.

Quote Originally Posted by rs3100 View Post
    In fairness Shearer summed it up nicely on MOTD last night. Bamba wasn't offside initial, but marginally as the ball went back in and the lino and ref would have had to have had xray eyes to have seen through Hoilett.

I seem to be missing something here, as well as the pundits, as bamba was not offside as the ball came in from a throw in, and unless the rules have been changed you cannot be offside from a throw in!

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    I seem to be missing something here, as well as the pundits, as bamba was not offside as the ball came in from a throw in, and unless the rules have been changed you cannot be offside from a throw in!
    He was offside when Manga headed it back in.

Strange that no-one is discussing the cast iron pelanty we should have had early in the 2nd half for hand ball, the officials also missed that but 1/2 the Ninian saw it

Yes, I've seen both of the game's main talking points on Match of the Day now and I certainly agree with you about Bamba's goal - as Gary Lineker said, the right decision would have been made if VAR was in place, but, without it, it was a very tough decision for the linesman to get right.

As for the sending off, I just don't get how anyone could think it wasn't the right decision by Martin Atkinson given the modern day interpretation of what constitutes a red card offence
    Have you seen the half-time analysis from the live coverage?

Something like -

"it was a harsh red"
    It was Cunningham's responsibility to anticipate the challenge and not get hurt" - WTF???

But Shearer on MOTD said it was a stonewall red.

As for the sending off, I just don't get how anyone could think it wasn't the right decision by Martin Atkinson given the modern day interpretation of what constitutes a red card offence.
    Pundits and fans, and some players, request VAR regularly now but few talk about how it would work. How far do you wind the tape back? Leicester's goal last weekend came from them winning the ball from Murphy in their own half but a clear foul took place. Does VAR go back to that incident? In the World Cup we saw refs still get it wrong, we saw incidents look much worse than they were when slowed down and from several different angles, we saw excitement drained as the monitors were checked and we saw that as fans, pundits and players we don't always agree with the letter of the law because sometimes it's wrong. VAR is easy to say but you need to talk about how it would work, something pundits rarely do.

Haven’t seen the Bamba offside decision again yet, but I think it’s harsh to say we only deserved a point.
    Although we lacked guile and direction we dominated the game and all the stats support that.

I also thought that in general the ref was for once fair and Brighton are a very physical side and virtually all our free kicks were justified.

Once again I’m surprised at just how physical sides are in this division.

Newcastle and Brighton are as big and nasty as most of the Championship sides were, with perhaps the exception of Millwall and maybe Birmingham.

We again struggled to compete in the air

You make the point correctly that the way to deal with playing against ten men is to make them work by dragging them all over the pitch and stretching the defensive line(s).
    Unfortunately our passing, in general, was so poor that our players seemed more concerned with just holding onto the ball rather than looking to penetrate them and risk losing it.

How many of us were fuming when the ball was given to Gunnar for another one of his "ineffective" long throws when an easier throw, return pass and cross seemed the better option?
    It was from this throwin that the confusion and goal came about and judging from our crossing/passing generally and lack of times we caused them problems, whether we like it or not, the long throw seems here to stay.

Even though it was a bit too close to the end for comfort, paradoxically it was almost perfect timing when we got the winner.
    After our "patient" build up work for the goal, mindful of our frailty defensively compared to how organised we were last year, there was little time to get really concerned about an equaliser.

Yes, there are quite a few things we can still be critical of and there is plenty of basic work to be done on the training field, but getting the three points will do wonders mentally for players, coaches and fans alike.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Pundits and fans, and some players, request VAR regularly now but few talk about how it would work. How far do you wind the tape back? Leicester's goal last weekend came from them winning the ball from Murphy in their own half but a clear foul took place. Does VAR go back to that incident? In the World Cup we saw refs still get it wrong, we saw incidents look much worse than they were when slowed down and from several different angles, we saw excitement drained as the monitors were checked and we saw that as fans, pundits and players we don't always agree with the letter of the law because sometimes it's wrong. VAR is easy to say but you need to talk about how it would work, something pundits rarely do.
    No complaints about players surrounding the ref this week, surge?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

First I noticed it was when watching a Brighton fan's reaction video

I think it was the fastest Gunnarsson moved all match!

A league table where goal difference is the only thing that counts nearly always gives a good view of the best and worst teams in the division. As it stands we’re one of the bottom 5 (which feels right) but I think it shows that it’s going to be tight all season. There’s a gap to Palace who will be too good defensively to go down and then you have Newcastle where I think the same will apply - they’ll be no fun to watch but will be tougher to beat than the 5 worse teams

The difference between that and Ralls red card was that yesterday the referee already had the red card coming out of his pocket before any protestations. That’s why Neil probably thought Kane was a twat (as did I)

Although the deflection from Kadeem’s cross benefitted us. If it hadn’t taken the deflection, Cunnigham was free, clear and running onto the prospective cross. I thought it was a good cross into a dangerous area from Kadeem.

How the two instances where Morisson was clattered in the box not penalties? The ones for which he recieved treatment. Both involved Brighton players hitting him and not the ball.

And how the red card can be seen as anything else us beyond me. Rosienior’s interpretation of events on tv was a joke.

And Bamba’s goal. All happened at such pace, with so many bodies scattered and moving around the 6 yard box it was impossible for the officials to see that Sol was one inch offside.

Indiscriminate use of commas again. Goes well beyond parenthetical info, introductions, separating independent clauses blah blah. V poor. Must do better.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    The difference between that and Ralls red card was that yesterday the referee already had the red card coming out of his pocket before any protestations. That’s why Neil probably thought Kane was a twat (as did I)
    Ah, righto. That was the difference. Not because it was City players on this occasion. Did Kane charge at the referee and protest? Not my recollection. I thought he ran over to Ralls, but there we go. You know best.

Regardless, I wasn't referring specifically to the Spurs incident. Surge complains about opposition players surrounding the ref on a regular basis. He did so last week after City played Leicester. He didn't this week, though.

Ah, righto. That was the difference. Not because it was City players on this occasion. Did Kane charge at the referee and protest? Not my recollection. I thought he ran over to Ralls, but there we go. You know best.

Regardless, I wasn't referring specifically to the Spurs incident. Surge complains about opposition players surrounding the ref on a regular basis. He did so last week after City played Leicester. He didn't this week, though.
    I would be surprised if you could find me complaining about it before last week. I don't think I complained about Spurs doing it, which was more similar to yesterday for the red card, but i complained a lot about Leicester surrounding the ref for the number of times they did it. I get your point but are you confusing the amount of complaining last week for regular complaining?

As I said, I get your point but would be surprised if you could find any example before last week.

Oh I’m sorry. You obviously made up in your own mind the fact that I’d written that Kane ran to the ref to protest.

Righto

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Oh I’m sorry. You obviously made up in your own mind the fact that I’d written that Kane ran to the ref to protest.
    Oh, I'm sorry too. We were talking about players protesting to the ref. You said: "The difference between that and Ralls red card was that yesterday the referee already had the red card coming out of his pocket before any protestations. That’s why Neil probably thought Kane was a twat (as did I)."

I guess you just mentioned Kane because, well, uh, I don't know, maybe you just randomly decided to mention him.

I would be surprised if you could find me complaining about it before last week. I don't think I complained about Spurs doing it, which was more similar to yesterday for the red card, but i complained a lot about Leicester surrounding the ref for the number of times they did it. I get your point but are you confusing the amount of complaining last week for regular complaining?
    Possibly. Probably. I don't know. I'm not paying enough attention these days. Must do better.

Oh, I'm sorry too. We were talking about players protesting to the ref. You said: "The difference between that and Ralls red card was that yesterday the referee already had the red card coming out of his pocket before any protestations. That’s why Neil probably thought Kane was a twat (as did I)."

I guess you just mentioned Kane because, well, uh, I don't know, maybe you just randomly decided to mention him.
    Righto - I’ll leave you to your imagination