+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: One thing I don't get about opposing players and managers at Cardiff City Stadium.

One thing I don't get about opposing players and managers at Cardiff City Stadium.

Given that City kicked the game off yesterday, I presume that Lewis Dunk win the toss for Brighton and he did something which I'm always amazed doesn't happen more often. If I was a captain or manager of a side playing away from home, I'd always get the home team to play towards their noisiest fans in the first half if my team won the toss. I'd make Liverpool play towards the Kop. Man United play towards the Stretford End etc. - sides come to Cardiff, run out on to the Family Stand side of the ground and, almost always, decide to stay where they are if they win the toss, I just don't get it.

I know it didn't work out for Brighton yesterday, but it's so obvious that City prefer to play towards the Canton End in the second half and I'd always look to do something that my opponents don't want.

Re: One thing I don't get about opposing players and managers at Cardiff City Stadium.

Paul Trollope? Or do we just win the vast majority of coin tosses?

Re: One thing I don't get about opposing players and managers at Cardiff City Stadium.

Perhaps away teams are happy with the usual set up as they will be playing towards their fans 2nd half also.

Also, there’s the old adage “Keep the home fans quiet” at the start of the game, so the home team playing towards the noisy fans first half goes against this.

Its more likely city claim the left hand side of the tunnel and run out on that side, probably our dressing room is on the left (canton side) dont know for certain mind.

Ah right, you meant the toss

In the autumn/winter lunchtime kickoffs, the keeper in front of the Canton is hindered by the low sun. A big disadvantage, I'd say.

I can’t remember the last time we attacked the canton end first half.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

So that’s it then

From now on if the opposition win the toss and play away from the Canton stand so we can’t attack towards the noisy supporters in the second half what you’re saying is we’re fkd

The Canton ain't no Grange End.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Yesterday. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Given that City kicked the game off yesterday, I presume that Lewis Dunk win the toss for Brighton and he did something which I'm always amazed doesn't happen more often. If I was a captain or manager of a side playing away from home, I'd always get the home team to play towards their noisiest fans in the first half if my team won the toss. I'd make Liverpool play towards the Kop. Man United play towards the Stretford End etc. - sides come to Cardiff, run out on to the Family Stand side of the ground and, almost always, decide to stay where they are if they win the toss, I just don't get it.

I know it didn't work out for Brighton yesterday, but it's so obvious that City prefer to play towards the Canton End in the second half and I'd always look to do something that my opponents don't want.
    Commas again. Grrrrrrrrr 😡😡😡😡

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It makes more noise. But doesn't have the edge

The Canton sings

'we beat Real madrid
    we won the FA Cup'

Creates a great atmosphere. And I'm all for it. They are great

Back in the day though it was

'I was born under the Grange End Star,
    Boots are made for kicking,
    Knives are made for stabbing,
    And if i see a Swansea fan ill kick his f*cking head in!!'

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    The Canton sings

'we beat Real madrid
    we won the FA Cup'

Creates a great atmosphere. And I'm all for it. They are great

Back in the day though it was

'I was born under the Grange End Star,
    Boots are made for kicking,
    Knives are made for stabbing,
    And if i see a Swansea fan ill kick his f*cking head in!!'
    Happy days

Now its " And If i see a Swansea fan ill hug him and buy him a Starbucks christmas brulee latte "

Times have changed, we wouldnt want to cause them offence or even offend any of our own fans

Quote Originally Posted by Rees E Carty View Post
    Commas again. Grrrrrrrrr ��������
    Nothing wrong with these little butterflies.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    I believe the last time it happened was in Neil Warnock's second home game in charge against Sheffield Wednesday in October 2017 - Whitts scored from a free kick early in the game and Wednesday's second half equaliser in a 1-1 draw was at the Canton End.

Other stands can join in too...

Quote Originally Posted by Rees E Carty View Post
    Commas again. Grrrrrrrrr ��������
    At the risk of encouraging you, can you be more specific in your complaint so that the rest of us can evaluate it?

(Ideally, I think a point like yours is best handled in a PM to the OP, but that's just me.)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I hope you mean The Grange End circa 1967-1972 and not the poxy concrete one.