+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: OT- I never realised this

OT- I never realised this

Despite driving the length and breadth of the country many times, I never realised that the road numbering system worked like this.

Going clockwise from London by the first digit in their number...IMG_20181113_083740.jpg

Re: OT- I never realised this

I thought it was pretty obvious.

Yeah it is in hindsight

International

What is more interesting is that once a road is allocated a number it keeps it even when it crosses boundaries where other road numbers begin. so for example the A38 starts in Cornwall and goes all the way up to Mansfield and the A46 starts at the A4 in Bath and goes all the way to Grimsby. And all roads off the A4 beginning with a 4 start on the right as you leave London and go north, in numerical order so you get, A40, A41, A42 etc and roads leading off those do the same so A40 then has offshoots A400, A401 A 402 etc.

Boring init???

In the US, interstate roads are numbered with odd by numbers for roads that run between north and south and even numbers between east and west.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    What is more interesting is that once a road is allocated a number it keeps it even when it crosses boundaries where other road numbers begin. so for example the A38 starts in Cornwall and goes all the way up to Mansfield and the A46 starts at the A4 in Bath and goes all the way to Grimsby. And all roads off the A4 beginning with a 4 start on the right as you leave London and go north, in numerical order so you get, A40, A41, A42 etc and roads leading off those do the same so A40 then has offshoots A400, A401 A 402 etc.

Boring init???
    Yes it is.

How was it decided that the A38 started in Cornwall and not Mansfield (obviously it would have been called something)

International

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Yes it is.

How was it decided that the A38 started in Cornwall and not Mansfield (obviously it would have been called something)
    Because roads are numbered to the right of the primary route they come off as you move away from London. All roads in Cornwall start with a 3. So a road starting in Mansfield would only go north and east and have a number beginning with a 1 or 6 depending on whether Mansfield is east (1) or west (6) of the A1

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Because roads are numbered to the right of the primary route they come off as you move away from London. All roads in Cornwall start with a 3. So a road starting in Mansfield would only go north and east and have a number beginning with a 1 or 6 depending on whether Mansfield is east (1) or west (6) of the A1
    Wow how do you know this, its intresting stuff.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    In the US, interstate roads are numbered with odd by numbers for roads that run between north and south and even numbers between east and west.

Why is there an interstate in Hawaii?

There seems to be an anomaly at the north of Shetland