Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cornelius.

Cornelius.

Re: Cornelius.

No bombshells then.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    No bombshells then.
    No, but I wouldn't expect any, he was just a kid thrown into what was something of a powder keg of a club at the time - we only got to hear about what was said about him in public, but I wouldn't mind betting there was a lot worse being said in private.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    No, but I wouldn't expect any, he was just a kid thrown into what was something of a powder keg of a club at the time - we only got to hear about what was said about him in public, but I wouldn't mind betting there was a lot worse being said in private.
    He was put in for training with the youngsters for a reason as his first touch was horrendous. He was a a figure of ridicule amongst the youngsters.

What on earth was Malky thinking or did he panic.

Why on earth didn't we go for Troy Deeney back then!!

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    He was put in for training with the youngsters for a reason as his first touch was horrendous. He was a a figure of ridicule amongst the youngsters.

His career before and since suggests that there was a lot more to him than we ever saw. The management have to take some blame for not getting the best out of him.
    We didn't play to his strengths at all. And by the time he was back from his ankle injury we were pretty dysfunctional as a team.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    His career before and since suggests that there was a lot more to him than we ever saw. The management have to take some blame for not getting the best out of him.
    We didn't play to his strengths at all. And by the time he was back from his ankle injury we were pretty dysfunctional as a team.
    His prolonged ankle injury. Wales Online reported he was back in training weeks before we saw him again. It was a very strange saga, I think Malky was just trying to delay the inevitable.

And yet, he's played in Serie A, Ligue 1, the Champions League and played in a World Cup Finals tournament for a top ten in the world team - not sure any of the City youngsters who were ridiculing him five years ago have managed that yet.

If I remember rightly, Cornelius may well have been our first signing of the summer of 2013, so I don't think it was panic which drove Mackay to go after him - he was a disastrous signing who was completely wrong for what we needed at that time, but I think his subsequent career has shown that he's not as bad as he looked most of the time while he was here.

He's proved he's not a top level striker. He flopped at Atalanta, and he's not scored for Bordeaux. According to Bellamy, he had a bad attitude and there's a reason he came to us and not a bigger club, something Fulham are finding our now about their "star signings". I've also heard stories about him being a figure of ridicule amongst the kids, which is why Mackay changed his tact about him being "one for the future". Good luck to him but we certainly haven't missed him. His "header" against Man City is still the worst/best thing I've ever seen for City.

Still, he's ahead of Zohore in the Denmark striker rankings, which says a lot more about Ken's form than it does about Cornelius.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He's proved he's not a top level striker. He flopped at Atalanta, and he's not scored for Bordeaux. According to Bellamy, he had a bad attitude and there's a reason he came to us and not a bigger club, something Fulham are finding our now about their "star signings". I've also heard stories about him being a figure of ridicule amongst the kids, which is why Mackay changed his tact about him being "one for the future". Good luck to him but we certainly haven't missed him. His "header" against Man City is still the worst/best thing I've ever seen for City.

Still, he's ahead of Zohore in the Denmark striker rankings, which says a lot more about Ken's form than it does about Cornelius.
    He's scored twice for Bordeaux, and last season scored 6 times from 13x 90 minutes for Atalanta.
    I'm not saying he's a world beater but he's better than we saw

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    And yet, he's played in Serie A, Ligue 1, the Champions League and played in a World Cup Finals tournament for a top ten in the world team - not sure any of the City youngsters who were ridiculing him five years ago have managed that yet.

If I remember rightly, Cornelius may well have been our first signing of the summer of 2013, so I don't think it was panic which drove Mackay to go after him - he was a disastrous signing who was completely wrong for what we needed at that time, but I think his subsequent career has shown that he's not as bad as he looked most of the time while he was here.
    I seem to recall the Fulham manager (was it Martin Jol?) saying around the time that they had looked at him and that they thought that he had some potential. However, he believed that something nearer £500k was a more realistic price and was astounded at what we paid.

It's amazing how history has been re-written regarding the signing Cornelius.

When he arrived at Cardiff, as the first signing of the 2013/14 season, he had just turned 20 year of age. He had finished the previous season as top scorer in the Danish League with 18 goals, he'd scored for Copenhagen in the Europa League and he'd already made 5 appearances for the Danish national side, scoring in a 3-0 World Cup qualifier victory over the Czech Republic. He'd won the Danish League's Player of the Year award and the Danish Young Talent of the Year award, ahead of players such as Southampton's Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg (who was at Bayern Munich at the time) and Chelsea's Andreas Christensen.

He'd previously been linked with Everton and Stoke and was given glowing recommendations by that great judge Ole Gunnar Solsksjaer, who reckoned Manchester United should take a look at him.

I can remember how excited some of the contributors on this board were when he signed as they believed Mackay had bagged one of Europe's most promising youngsters. I also remember being told I was an idiot who was merely bitter about the re-brand when I dared to suggest the reported fee of £8.5 million was a bit steep for a player with his lack of experience.

He's scored twice for Bordeaux, and last season scored 6 times from 13x 90 minutes for Atalanta.
    He got 3 league goals last season. I was looking at some out of date figures but he's scored 1 goal in nearly 400 league minutes this season.

Clearly he is better than what we saw, he didn't look like he should be getting paid to play! He's certainly not one that got away either.

He's proved he's not a top level striker. He flopped at Atalanta, and he's not scored for Bordeaux.
    He's scored once, a couple of weeks ago against Lyon.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueToujours View Post
    I seem to recall the Fulham manager (was it Martin Jol?) saying around the time that they had looked at him and that they thought that he had some potential. However, he believed that something nearer £500k was a more realistic price and was astounded at what we paid.
    What he actually said was: "He (Cornelius) was on our shadow list, but I thought it was not only too much, but we couldn't afford to buy him."

The same ones who used to slate him left, right and centre are probably the same ones that sing Danny Ward's name religiously whilst he's warming up. Couldn't make it up!

So you’re counting the goals he got as a sub, but not his substitute appearances

Nice manipulation of stats.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    The same ones who used to slate him left, right and centre are probably the same ones that sing Danny Ward's name religiously whilst he's warming up. Couldn't make it up!
    Couldnt make what up?

Whats Ward got to do with Cornelius.?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    So you’re counting the goals he got as a sub, but not his substitute appearances

Nice manipulation of stats.
    No, I am counting his substitute appearances.

If you add up all of the minutes he played last season and divide it by 90 it comes to just over 13. So he played the equivalent of 13 full games.

It is the only sensible way to look at that kind of data for players who are on the bench a lot.

He flopped, he's not the first and won't be the last.

But I still think the club and Tan were completely wrong in releasing that press release about him.

No, I am counting his substitute appearances.

If you add up all of the minutes he played last season and divide it by 90 it comes to just over 13. So he played the equivalent of 13 full games.

It is the only sensible way to look at that kind of data for players who are on the bench a lot.
    In 924 minutes, he scored 3 Serie A goals. That's 308 minutes per goal, or a goal every 3.5 games. League goals are the best judge of players, certainly not Europa League games vs Everton's reserves who are already out of the competition by the time you come on.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post

But I still think the club and Tan were completely wrong in releasing that press release about him.
    I don't think anyone can deny that. Tan acted like that for the best part of 3 seasons so we shouldn't be too surprised.

In 924 minutes, he scored 3 Serie A goals. That's 308 minutes per goal, or a goal every 3.5 games. League goals are the best judge of players, certainly not Europa League games vs Everton's reserves who are already out of the competition by the time you come on.
    That's still not too shabby

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post

Yeah very harsh on someone who was still a young kid at that point. Fortunately he doesn't seem that bitter about it now.

Yeah very harsh on someone who was still a young kid at that point. Fortunately he doesn't seem that bitter about it now.
    Exactly, he was a teenager, probably away from home for the first time in his life and, apparently, he had kids his own age at the club taking the piss out of him - unless he said to City I'm not signing for you unless you pay me 45 grand a week I don't think I'll be joining in with those who still want to slag him off even after all of this time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    It's amazing how history has been re-written regarding the signing Cornelius.

When he arrived at Cardiff, as the first signing of the 2013/14 season, he had just turned 20 year of age. He had finished the previous season as top scorer in the Danish League with 18 goals, he'd scored for Copenhagen in the Europa League and he'd already made 5 appearances for the Danish national side, scoring in a 3-0 World Cup qualifier victory over the Czech Republic. He'd won the Danish League's Player of the Year award and the Danish Young Talent of the Year award, ahead of players such as Southampton's Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg (who was at Bayern Munich at the time) and Chelsea's Andreas Christensen.

He'd previously been linked with Everton and Stoke and was given glowing recommendations by that great judge Ole Gunnar Solsksjaer, who reckoned Manchester United should take a look at him.

I can remember how excited some of the contributors on this board were when he signed as they believed Mackay had bagged one of Europe's most promising youngsters. I also remember being told I was an idiot who was merely bitter about the re-brand when I dared to suggest the reported fee of £8.5 million was a bit steep for a player with his lack of experience.
    Agreed, this revisionism with regards to Cornelius is ridiculous, people just want to look clever by slating him now as if the majority weren't excited by his signing