+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fulham manager sacked

Fulham manager sacked

Fulham have sacked manager Slavisa Jokanovic and replaced him with former Premier League-winning boss Claudio Ranieri.

Re: Fulham manager sacked

Interesting take on FFP Fulham have.

Ranieri has failed at plenty of clubs, but Fulham's chances of staying up have to be brighter than they were now.

Despite this season's failure I still like Jokanović and think he's a top manager.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

There must be something else going on at Fulham. Jokanovic got them playing good football in the Championship they sign some good talent and then can’t perform

Something not quite right there

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Despite this season's failure I still like Jokanović and think he's a top manager.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    There must be something else going on at Fulham. Jokanovic got them playing good football in the Championship they sign some good talent and then can’t perform

Something not quite right there
    Isn't it as simple as their defence?

Jokanovic spent £100 million in the summer on a side that currently has the worst defence in any of the major European leagues. They've looked badly disorganised whenever I've seen them. The goals conceded are bound to drain the confidence of the rest of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

Jokanovic spent £100 million in the summer on a side that currently has the worst defence in any of the major European leagues. They've looked badly disorganised whenever I've seen them. The goals conceded are bound to drain the confidence of the rest of the team.
    They also had one shot on target vs Huddersfield, we have scored as many as them! Their passing just goes nowhere, it's intricate 50 yards from goal. They're about to get a lot more direct though.

I would agree with that. Even in the Championship, teams that put pressure on them often got their rewards. The problem was that, at that level, Fulham played most teams off the park in the second half of the season, so their defence was not always tested to its fullest, and by players of a different level to the ones we're seeing now.

They have good players, if ranieri gets them playing well this isn't good news for us. But let's wait and see.

So, Fulham to finish above us?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    They have good players, if ranieri gets them playing well this isn't good news for us. But let's wait and see.
    This. I previously saw this as a four team scrap for 17th place between City, Huddersfield, Southampton and Fulham.

Depending on how he hits the ground, that might well be reduced to a 3 team non-scrap.

I think it's fair to say that Fulham have a team that under the right manager could be perform better. And I think that Ranieri will have the chops to get this team performing well enough to avoid the drop. They now have a team with some great players and a very good manager. You'd have to say their chances have improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    They also had one shot on target vs Huddersfield, we have scored as many as them! Their passing just goes nowhere, it's intricate 50 yards from goal. They're about to get a lot more direct though.
    If you look at their stats from the first couple of months of the season, they were creating plenty of chances and getting a fair amount of shots on target. However, that's diminished significantly from the end of September onwards. No doubt their defensive failings have affected the rest of the team as time has gone on.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    This. I previously saw this as a four team scrap for 17th place between City, Huddersfield, Southampton and Fulham.

Depending on how he hits the ground, that might well be reduced to a 3 team non-scrap.

I think it's fair to say that Fulham have a team that under the right manager could be perform better. And I think that Ranieri will have the chops to get this team performing well enough to avoid the drop. They now have a team with some great players and a very good manager. You'd have to say their chances have improved.
    It could also be added that in Ranieri's second season at Leicester, they looked absolutely awful and he was bereft of ideas on how to fix things. Something went wrong there, almost as quickly as things had clicked beautifully the season before. Some blame the players, but whatever went wrong, Ranieri didn't sort it out and he paid for it with his job.

He used to like tinkering around with the team when things weren't working. That's not what Fulham need at the moment.

There's the potential for this to go quite badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post

I'd add Burnley to that list

Fulham will improve under Ranieri

If they beat Southampton in their next game that could mean the end of Hughes which could mean a new manager bounce there as well

If you look at their stats from the first couple of months of the season, they were creating plenty of chances and getting a fair amount of shots on target. However, that's diminished significantly from the end of September onwards. No doubt their defensive failings have affected the rest of the team as time has gone on.
    Perhaps but it was still hardly free flowing. Granted their defence has been appallingly bad, some would even say rubbish but there's clearly a major attitude problem there, some of the players believe they're far better than they are. Perhaps Ranieri can turn it around once the rot sets in it can be hard to stop. They were embarrassingly bad against us, and then somehow even worse against Huddersfield. It wasn't as if they were getting cut to ribbons either, you'd have hoped someone in that side could have rolled their sleeves up and tried to win the game, considering Huddersfield only managed 2 shots on target themselves.

Good job we got three points off them already. I don't think they'll still be in the mix come May.

Have to see how it pans out. They are set up to play very differently to how Leicester used to play.

I like ranieiri but hope this goes poorly for them.

Bet FOF is back to jizzing everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It could also be added that in Ranieri's second season at Leicester, they looked absolutely awful and he was bereft of ideas on how to fix things. Something went wrong there, almost as quickly as things had clicked beautifully the season before. Some blame the players, but whatever went wrong, Ranieri didn't sort it out and he paid for it with his job.

He used to like tinkering around with the team when things weren't working. That's not what Fulham need at the moment.

There's the potential for this to go quite badly.
    You could also say that the groundwork for the title winning team wasn't undertaken by Ranieri, but by Pearson, they flew in the second half of the previous season.

They could do with a Madine, shall we let him go for say, 10 million?

If you look at ranieri’s record one thing he always seems to have is a very strong start.

He won 5 of his first 10 and Leicester, 6 of his first 10 at nantes, 7 of his first 10 at Parma etc.

He might be the perfect manager if he gets his usual bounce.

my first reaction was..so what glad he is not coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by rs3100 View Post
    You could also say that the groundwork for the title winning team wasn't undertaken by Ranieri, but by Pearson, they flew in the second half of the previous season.
    Absoulty right Pearson did the hard work and kept them up not Ranieri, yes he won the Premiership after that incredible survival , the recruitment was not just Ranieri either ,Kanti was a genuis signing, will Fulham spend more ??

All a bit worrying for Fulham ,Ranieri is no guarantee of safety ,strangely Pearson maybe better skilled to keep them up ,perhaps Ranieri should give him a ring .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Absoulty right Pearson did the hard work and kept them up not Ranieri, yes he won the Premiership after that incredible survival , the recruitment was not just Ranieri either ,Kanti was a genuis signing, will Fulham spend more ??

All a bit worrying for Fulham ,Ranieri is no guarantee of safety ,strangely Pearson maybe better skilled to keep them up ,perhaps Ranieri should give him a ring .
    Nor did his Leicester team play the way Fulham play (or last season at least).
    They were a counter attacking side with pace to burn, probably with about 30/40% possession per game. Great to watch at times.

That's twice Jokanovic has taken a team into the Premier League only to get sacked almost immediately.

I like Ranieri but he really isn’t a manager you want in a relegation scrap. Give me a Warnock over a Ranieri when you need to scrap for every point.