+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What has been your favourite season supporting Cardiff?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: What has been your favourite season supporting Cardiff?

59/60/60/61

Re: What has been your favourite season supporting Cardiff?

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln blue View Post
    59/60/60/61
    Yep, I was 13-15 years old and not a care in the world. 59-60 we had what seemed like a super team many of which were Cardiff born and bred and played their entire careers as Bluebirds - Vearncombe in goal, Ron Stitfall, Alan Harrington, Colin Baker, Frank Rankmore. A great season was capped off with a 1-0 NP win over Villa to confirm promotion to Div 1; young Graham Moore scored the winner in front of 60,000. Villa also went up (only 2 in those days) leaving Liverpool in 3rd and 8 points adrift.

60-61 saw City finish a creditable 15th (of 222 mind) with 37 points. Spurs won the League / FA Cup double, the first time it had ever been done but in doing so they lost an evening game 3-2 at Ninian Park, a game in which Derek Hogg scored 2; I was behind the Grange goal that evening going nuts when Hogg scored the winner. The following season 61-62 saw City relegated in 21st place, returning to the 2nd Division with Chelsea who finished 22nd and last.

Not sure why those seasons stay so vividly in my mind; I was young, went with a few pals from Llanrumney and we made it a full day out. Of course there was a certain innocence about life in those days as well, which elevates it in the memory. Great stuff.