+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Toshack

John Toshack

How many that post on here seen him play for City? and how good was he when he was with us?
    My first season down the City was 74, so missed him by a few years.
    I did however see him play against us at Ninian Park, but for the Jacks. Pretty sure he scored a screamer past us too.

Re: John Toshack

Got the ball near the half way line and every city player stood off him.

The first two games I saw down the city, Tosh scored two against Birmingham City and then a hat trick against Hull. And then he was sold to Liverpool. As a six year old he was my hero, and it broke my heart at the time that he was off to play for someone else. But at least it set me up at an early age to expect disappointment whenever the bluebirds were involved.

He.did score against us when we beat the jacks 3-2 and that was his very last League goal I think.

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    How many that post on here seen him play for City? and how good was he when he was with us?
    My first season down the City was 74, so missed him by a few years.
    I did however see him play against us at Ninian Park, but for the Jacks. Pretty sure he scored a screamer past us too.
    I don’t believe that we ever had a striker since who led the line as he did and who was as good as he was.
    You also need to add that this was a lad from Canton who made his debut at 16....not because we were desperate but because he had so much potential. Check out YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    The first two games I saw down the city, Tosh scored two against Birmingham City and then a hat trick against Hull. And then he was sold to Liverpool. As a six year old he was my hero, and it broke my heart at the time that he was off to play for someone else. But at least it set me up at an early age to expect disappointment whenever the bluebirds were involved.

He.did score against us when we beat the jacks 3-2 and that was his very last League goal I think.
    How did the scoring go in that game? Were we 0-2 down at one stage?
    I've found out who scored in that game, but not the sequence of the goals. > Roger Gibbins, Nigel Vaughan and Trevor Lee for us, Tosh and a Gary Stanley pen for them. 26th Dec 83. Attendance 14,580.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    I don’t believe that we ever had a striker since who led the line as he did and who was as good as he was.
    You also need to add that this was a lad from Canton who made his debut at 16....not because we were desperate but because he had so much potential. Check out YouTube
    Tosh & Clarke were amazing together a joy to see

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post

Broke a lot of peoples hearts,haven’t been down since they sold Toshack was a regular reply when talking Cardiff City after he was sold,my hero too,and someone they should have built a team around they couldn’t wait to get rid of him which was crazy when you think that only a few seasons before they broke the bank to bring an over the hill John Charles to South Wales.Saw his last game for us at QPR where we one to go top of the division.As for how good he was well best header of a ball l have ever seen and although sometimes looking awkward with the ball at his feet scored some fine goals with both feet couldn’t take a penalty mind don’t think he ever scored one for us,how good was he,good enough for Shankleys Liverpool so not to shabby l guess

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Absolutely agree, they were magic and everything about the City in those days. It was like a bereavement when Tosh was sold to Liverpool.

Yes I saw Toshack In his final two years ,simply knew he'd score , he was our best true centre forward .

His games and goals were close , at Liverpool and Cardiff , didn't bag many for Wales.

1965–1970
    Cardiff City, played ,162 scored (74)

1970–1978
    Liverpool ,played 172 ,scored (74)

1978–1984
    Swansea City, played 63 scored (24)

1969–1980
    Wales, played 40 scored (13)

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Yes I saw Toshack In his final two years ,simply knew he'd score , he was our best true centre forward .

His games and goals were close , at Liverpool and Cardiff , didn't bag many for Wales.

1965–1970
    Cardiff City, played ,162 scored (74)

1970–1978
    Liverpool ,played 172 ,scored (74)

1978–1984
    Swansea City, played 63 scored (24)

1969–1980
    Wales, played 40 scored (13)
    That’s just league games, if you include cup games:

Cardiff - Played 207 scored 100 goals
    Liverpool - Played 247 scored 96 goals
    Jacks - Played 78 scored 30 goals

Never saw him play for us, but remember seeing him score a hat trick at NP against the jocks.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Never saw him play for us, but remember seeing him score a hat trick at NP against the jocks.
    I was at that game.....didn’t know whether to laugh or cry.

One of those was a classic too. Two one-twos with Brian Flynn was it?

Wasn't that the game in which Terry Yorath got so cocky that he sat on the ball while it was still in play?

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Aw. c’mon now, Clarke????? It was Clark, the Clarke was Malcolm. Petty, perhaps correcting you but you should be getting Brian’s name right, he’s a City legend !!

Quote Originally Posted by Since64 View Post
    Broke a lot of peoples hearts,haven’t been down since they sold Toshack was a regular reply when talking Cardiff City after he was sold,my hero too,and someone they should have built a team around they couldn’t wait to get rid of him which was crazy when you think that only a few seasons before they broke the bank to bring an over the hill John Charles to South Wales.Saw his last game for us at QPR where we one to go top of the division.As for how good he was well best header of a ball l have ever seen and although sometimes looking awkward with the ball at his feet scored some fine goals with both feet couldn’t take a penalty mind don’t think he ever scored one for us,how good was he,good enough for Shankleys Liverpool so not to shabby l guess
    Tosh in his book,says that Big John Charles was his hero and actually taught him how to Head the Ball correctly,the two worse thinks the club have ever done was sell Tosh when we were top of league 2(now Championship) and not to take him back as Assistant player Manager.
    He was without doubt our best ever player and certainly the best Manager with links to our Club!(Managed Real Madrid twice!)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Think one was from a Flynn chipped free kick. I remember Alan Curtis was involved with at least one other. Can’t remember Yorath sitting on the ball, but would love to have witnessed it.
    Some team that was 😍.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Aw. c’mon now, Clarke????? It was Clark, the Clarke was Malcolm. Petty, perhaps correcting you but you should be getting Brian’s name right, he’s a City legend !!
    Age cider and rushing to post

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    You may be thinking aboug this classic which Brian Flynn scored against Scotland but the final score was 2-2.
    https://youtu.be/rpRMW-4ch2Q
    Worth watching whatever!

My first game at NP was the 4-1 defeat of Blackburn - which happened to be the first match AFTER Tosh left for Liverpool.

"Toshack is a reject" was the chant of the day in the Grange end.

Though i did see him play at NP for Wales at the end of the season - remember the "home internationals" tournament?

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

I went to the same school as Tosh ( Canton High School) although he was in Form 5 and I was in Form 1. He was the idol of a lot us youngsters
    I saw him play a few times and never understood why he’d been sold
    As a poster above has said already it set a trend and it lowered my expectation levels of the club so I’ve only rarely been disappointed since
    His brother was a knob

It was easy to label Toshack as one of those gangling centre forwards that everything bounced off unless it was aimed at his head. However, although he seemed to do things that bit slower than any one else, he was more than decent with the ball at his feet with that goal he scored against us for the jacks being an example of what I mean - he was nowhere near the player he had been by then and I watched his run towards our goal from the halfway line thinking there was no danger to our goal because someone will soon come over and snuff things out, but they never did and Tosh found a way to stick the ball in our net (someone asked about the scoring sequence in that game - I may be wrong but I think we were always in front and led 2-0 and 3-1 at different stages of the match).

In terms of career achievement, I agree Toshack may well be City's best ever player because there were league title winner, FA Cup winner and Fairs Cup winners medals won, as well as some great achievements in a long (in terms of time and miles traveled) managerial career, but I don't think he would be there leading the attack in my best City team I've seen.

Reading light up my the darkness' message, I think he is probably two or three years older than me, because Tosh is seven years my senior (he'll be seventy in March) - as another Cantonian old boy, I can agree with what he says about his brother.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It was easy to label Toshack as one of those gangling centre forwards that everything bounced off unless it was aimed at his head. However, although he seemed to do things that bit slower than any one else, he was more than decent with the ball at his feet with that goal he scored against us for the jacks being an example of what I mean - he was nowhere near the player he had been by then and I watched his run towards our goal from the halfway line thinking there was no danger to our goal because someone will soon come over and snuff things out, but they never did and Tosh found a way to stick the ball in our net (someone asked about the scoring sequence in that game - I may be wrong but I think we were always in front and led 2-0 and 3-1 at different stages of the match).

In terms of career achievement, I agree Toshack may well be City's best ever player because there were league title winner, FA Cup winner and Fairs Cup winners medals won, as well as some great achievements in a long (in terms of time and miles traveled) managerial career, but I don't think he would be there leading the attack in my best City team I've seen.

Reading light up my the darkness' message, I think he is probably two or three years older than me, because Tosh is seven years my senior (he'll be seventy in March) - as another Cantonian old boy, I can agree with what he says about his brother.
    What did he say about his brother Bob? Think his name was Colin? He had a painting and decorating business in Wellington St in the early 80’s. I used to work for the plumbing firm next to it.

What did he say about his brother Bob? Think his name was Colin? He had a painting and decorating business in Wellington St in the early 80’s. I used to work for the plumbing firm next to it.
    He said he was a knob. To be fair, I didn't have many dealings with Toshack's brother (who I think was called Colin, but I knew him by the nickname Chunky - he was quite a different build from Tosh from memory), but the few I did tended to bear out that opinion. I'm talking about the time when Toshack was with City here - there seemed to be an element of reflected glory with him.

Joining Liverpool was actually a great move for Toshack, or any other footballer with ambition for that matter, so you can't really blame him for going. Its just that the timing was all wrong, as we were top of the league and looking good for promotion.