+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should we close all libraries?

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Re: Should we close all libraries?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Ironic that the noun Pedagogue originally referred to a slave who took children to school.

More accurately we should use androgogy as I presume we are referring to adults as opposed to children who may use libraries to a lesser extent

Re: Should we close all libraries?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    This is another news report trying to "support" the closing down of public services. Modern libraries supply far more services than "lending" books. They have the internet, so those who can't afford a computer have access to the net, and of course can then access other public services which are only available on line. They run reading clubs/ story telling for pre-school children, and home work clubs for children at school. They are some of the last places elderly people can go to meet others. They are used by people to conduct research through their reference books, family history resources, local newspaper archives etc.

It's always a sad day when a library is closed. Closing libraries is taking away a basic educational resource from those who are less able to afford their own.
    This.
    Libraries are one of the three most important roles of local council.
    Where I live has the busiest library in the state. I have always been a little proud of that fact.
    And they are often in very interesting buildings, which also need protecting.