+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ashley Williams pre game on camera “look at these mugs doing the ayatollah”

Re: Ashley Williams pre game on camera “look at these mugs doing the ayatollah”

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I hate the Ayoltah, and what it actually represents ,and I think we should stop asking our players and managers doing it ,we are not Shiite Muslims, or in Iran.

We could have players ,fans ,staff and others completely at odds with is a actual origin.
    I also dislike the ayatollah for these reasons but I also dislike our fans being called mugs by the national captain

The origins of it is perfectly innocent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ay...l_celebration)

The Ayatollah celebration came into use at the Cardiff City games in 1990. It was originally performed by the singers and fans of a Welsh-language punk group called U Thant. It was first performed by the Cardiff City fans at the Sincil Bank, home of Lincoln City, on 15 September 1990, the day after U Thant had played a gig at Cardiff's Chapter Arts Centre. U Thant's singer had been inspired by footage of attendants at the funeral of Ayatollah Khomeini, which was broadcast live on British TV, doing the movement to express their grief at his death.

It has been claimed that it was initially used as a sign of despair at the way the team were playing. It quickly became very popular with the fans of the club, and has since been used in terms of celebration and support for the team. Away games at Hereford United and Peterborough United in 1992 helped cement its place in the fans' repertoire.

I hate the Ayoltah, and what it actually represents ,and I think we should stop asking our players and managers doing it ,we are not Shiite Muslims, or in Iran.

We could have players ,fans ,staff and others completely at odds with is a actual origin.
    Neither are we The greatest team the world has ever seen, maybe we should scrap that one as well. The Ayatollah is a bit tired now, but it is unique to us, and if the reasons are true for it's inception, then I would say that it epitomises the black humour of City fans during the eighties and nineties, a much needed staple when getting trounced by Hereford, Maidstone etc. The real meaning to it has been lost, as has the macabre humour that existed during the era of the Ayatollah, but one thing is for sure, it's unique to us, it's original, and if supporters of other clubs take 5 minutes to explore its origins then they'll see that it was of the time, unique, topical and quite clever. It beats throwing an inflatable sheep about.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Neither are we The greatest team the world has ever seen, maybe we should scrap that one as well. The Ayatollah is a bit tired now, but it is unique to us, and if the reasons are true for it's inception, then I would say that it epitomises the black humour of City fans during the eighties and nineties, a much needed staple when getting trounced by Hereford, Maidstone etc. The real meaning to it has been lost, as has the macabre humour that existed during the era of the Ayatollah, but one thing is for sure, it's unique to us, it's original, and if supporters of other clubs take 5 minutes to explore its origins then they'll see that it was of the time, unique, topical and quite clever. It beats throwing an inflatable sheep about.
    Top post it is the most unique of all football chants ect

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Top post it is the most unique of all football chants ect
    I think that anyone would be hard pressed to find another chant like the Ayatollah, especially in this country. I looks a bit naff now, but I think it's clever, and it pisses off-bemuses plenty of away fans, it's also quite funny to think that it's the first thing that a new signing has to do in order to gain approval from the fans. Some young 20 something with no idea what it means or how it started, it's along the lines of a sacha baron cohen set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Welshcake. View Post
    I also dislike the ayatollah for these reasons but I also dislike our fans being called mugs by the national captain
    Absoulty.

Hopefully it's his last game as his welcome won't be nice at the stadium, he was always disliked and I suspect he knows that, as he has been booed and insulted a few times in the Welsh shirt.

Should have stuck with Darcy Blake and Collins .

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I do agree, however in it's current state of challenging one to do it I personally feel it's run its ourse .

having said that , when we are at Wembley in the cup finals with the full version with lowering of the chant , and then raising the anthem , it was quite a sight and noise.

I distinctly remember being outside a Baker Street pub in London and ( all ) the tour buses stopping to allow tourists to take pictures of these mental white lads banging thier heads in an Arabic Ayatollah fashion ,they did looked very bemused tourists .

It's a pity its not been developed into a bigger football anthem , engaging it with both the culture of Iran and Wales , in a sort of men of harlech , Ayatollah hybrid chant .

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Look at the facts, the Jacks hate us, even the small time they had above us, they still couldnt let it go, We cast a massive shadow down West and they have to live in it, it is hard for them

Most city fans hate the jacks, they are scruffy urchins who lack the style and finesse for cardiff fans

" Their Ash " is a honoured Jack, add to the fact that he is English ( that one is for Grangetown blue ) he is never really going to like city fans is he
    Spot on Matt, reading there forum they think he’s great again now after slating him constantly since he left the dump that’s falling down

Absoulty.

Hopefully it's his last game as his welcome won't be nice at the stadium, he was always disliked and I suspect he knows that, as he has been booed and insulted a few times in the Welsh shirt.

Should have stuck with Darcy Blake and Collins .
    He hasn't always been disliked. If that's how it started then it stopped with the together stronger message, and we should remember that this is when Wales reached an international tournament team again.

Unless I have whooshed based on your final sentence?

One of the best atmospheres at the CCS was with Wales when we sang Hymns and Arias, Calon Lan and the hummed version of MoH. As the Barry Horns say, "this is Wales."

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    What interests me about your view here is do you feel the same way about the other English players in our squad?
    I do, (but you knew that). Anyone who plays for Wales, because their own country doesn't want them, shouldn't deny players caps for THEIR country. Turner and Shawcross did the right thing, and politely declined.

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    I do, (but you knew that). Anyone who plays for Wales, because their own country doesn't want them, shouldn't deny players caps for THEIR country. Turner and Shawcross did the right thing, and politely declined.
    Interesting choice of words. Just to be clear you are happy for players born in England to play for us if their own country wanted them but they chose us over them?

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    Interesting choice of words. Just to be clear you are happy for players born in England to play for us if their own country wanted them but they chose us over them?
    If a player was born in England, with an English Mother, English Father, and 3 English Grand parents, I'd expect him to play for England if he had the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Look at the facts, the Jacks hate us, even the small time they had above us, they still couldnt let it go, We cast a massive shadow down West and they have to live in it, it is hard for them

Most city fans hate the jacks, they are scruffy urchins who lack the style and finesse for cardiff fans

" Their Ash " is a honoured Jack, add to the fact that he is English ( that one is for Grangetown blue ) he is never really going to like city fans is he

Does it really matter what people wear....?

City fans are hardly leading the terrace fashion apart from the odd few. I was wearing Stone Island 28 years and took a further ten years to catch on.

Imagine being upset about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    There seems to be some mugs on here, if a Cardiff player or former player had a cheeky dig at the jacks I’m sure they would be loving it. I’m sure I read on here that city make up 1/3 of Wales fans what about the Mickey Mouse Liverpool and Man Utd fans?

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    There seems to be some mugs on here, if a Cardiff player or former player had a cheeky dig at the jacks I’m sure they would be loving it. I’m sure I read on here that city make up 1/3 of Wales fans what about the Mickey Mouse Liverpool and Man Utd fans?
    The Jacks are "loving it", he's their hero again now. Some of them hated him (almost) as much as I do before this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I was upset WAY before this!

Its pretty widely acknowledged, even by fans of other clubs, that Cardiff make up the bulk of Wales' support

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Its pretty widely acknowledged, even by fans of other clubs, that Cardiff make up the bulk of Wales' support
    Let's be honest we only really have 20/25k roughly

Let's be honest we only really have 20/25k roughly
    +2 Reading fans

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    +2 Reading fans
    Ash has his say,
    "I think it’s obviously disappointing, but it was not meant how it came out. There was a bit of banter between me and Sean Connelly who is a Cardiff physio. Apologies if it caused offence to anyone. What you can’t see if Sean is stood just in front of the picture, but he’s also in it. We have a lot of banter about that. I’ve got nothing against Cardiff fans, they’re great when they’re with Wales."

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...shley-15437536

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Ash has his say,
    "I think it’s obviously disappointing, but it was not meant how it came out. There was a bit of banter between me and Sean Connelly who is a Cardiff physio. Apologies if it caused offence to anyone. What you can’t see if Sean is stood just in front of the picture, but he’s also in it. We have a lot of banter about that. I’ve got nothing against Cardiff fans, they’re great when they’re with Wales."

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...shley-15437536
    ....and let this nonsense now come to an end. Some of the stuff on here has been hugely ott. Father D you started this. You now need to repent for your sins.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    ....and let this nonsense now come to an end. Some of the stuff on here has been hugely ott. Father D you started this. You now need to repent for your sins.
    Yeah, he needs a slap on the head.............with both hands🤪🤪🤪

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    - largest population in Wales
    - smallest distance to travel to home games in Wales
    - biggest club stadium in Wales

I'd be surprised if City fans didn't make up bulk of the support, but I know for sure it's a better atmosphere when fans from the north are there and a bulk of our best players have come through Swansea system. And lets not forget the job Newport did in hosting the Welsh women either.

What have we done recently as Wales anyway? We have beaten Ireland twice, did ok against Mexico and Uruguay. We've also had some unsavoury stories creep back in with behaviour off the pitch. We need to pull together to ensure that Brooks, Ampadu, Mepham, Smith and the like have the best chance of following the path set out by Williams, Allen, Ramsey, Bale and HRK rather than one more trodden.