+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grand Slam Of Darts

Grand Slam Of Darts

Jonny Clayton level 10 all against MVG!

Re: Grand Slam Of Darts

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Jonny Clayton level 10 all against MVG!
    And we were leading Chelsea 1-0. Van Gerwen is vulnerable these days, still a great player though.

Price v Whitlock was amazing last night, what was that about? Price has got issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    And we were leading Chelsea 1-0. Van Gerwen is vulnerable these days, still a great player though.

Price v Whitlock was amazing last night, what was that about? Price has got issues.
    Van Gerwen is better than Taylor was in his pomp, just that standards have risen exponentially and MVG, like Taylor, is so used to winning and clawing matches away from the very best when in trouble, that when things don't go so well, they feel pressure and miss shots. There has to be thoughts of "why is this happening? I usually win". Against top opposition, the A game is there, so there might be the odd defeat, but victories are the norm, yet playing against players they'd be expected to beat, when things don't "happen", it creates huge pressure.

As for Price, always thought of him as a cock, but looking more like one who is learning the game, knows how to gee himself up and get the best out of himself and could potentially win a major.

Van Gerwen is better than Taylor was in his pomp, just that standards have risen exponentially and MVG, like Taylor, is so used to winning and clawing matches away from the very best when in trouble, that when things don't go so well, they feel pressure and miss shots. There has to be thoughts of "why is this happening? I usually win". Against top opposition, the A game is there, so there might be the odd defeat, but victories are the norm, yet playing against players they'd be expected to beat, when things don't "happen", it creates huge pressure.

As for Price, always thought of him as a cock, but looking more like one who is learning the game, knows how to gee himself up and get the best out of himself and could potentially win a major.
    Van Gerwen is the best ever, I agree. He's not a pig of a man like Taylor either, good luck to him.

Price isn't quite there yet. I don't think he's got the A game to take him much further but he's not going to die wondering, that's for sure. He's a character, you're not kidding when you say he knows how to gee himself up.

Whitlock caused that!

Gezzy gets the blame. It happens all the time.

Van Gerwen is the best ever, I agree. He's not a pig of a man like Taylor either, good luck to him.
    I've met him once very briefly, at Sophia Gardens at an exhibition. Very much the jovial character of all the players there. Made some joke about being able to say **** Off in Dutch and told Barney that my wife was his stalker (she's a big RVB fan)...

Quote Originally Posted by length View Post
    Whitlock caused that!

Gezzy gets the blame. It happens all the time.
    He was an absolute cock in that final.

Where’s the ref ffs? Going mental cos he scored 91. Time wasting ****.

Can't believe a player with the experience of Anderson allowed it to get to him. Price played well mind and deserved that

Quote Originally Posted by neilw65 View Post
    Can't believe a player with the experience of Anderson allowed it to get to him. Price played well mind and deserved that
    Hard to ignore when you’ve got someone screaming in your face because they scored a ton and not getting their darts out of the board.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Where’s the ref ffs? Going mental cos he scored 91. Time wasting ****.
    The question has to be where that lies within gamesmanship. Consistently giving it large when he should be retrieving his darts. Without being able to get into Anderson's head, Price would have been blitzed off the board. Yes, things go on as part of the game. This should lead to a review of how much players are able to get away with. No problem with a bit of needle, sport is both mental and physical, but tonight Price's antics spoiled what could have been a good final. To be almost universally booed when picking up the trophy says everything.

Hard to ignore when you’ve got someone screaming in your face because they scored a ton and not getting their darts out of the board.
    I agree to a point, but if Anderson had just got on with it then Price would have realised he was getting nowhere. As it was, Price could see he was rattled and just played on it

The question has to be where that lies within gamesmanship. Consistently giving it large when he should be retrieving his darts. Without being able to get into Anderson's head, Price would have been blitzed off the board. Yes, things go on as part of the game. This should lead to a review of how much players are able to get away with. No problem with a bit of needle, sport is both mental and physical, but tonight Price's antics spoiled what could have been a good final. To be almost universally booed when picking up the trophy says everything.
    Made me so angry and I’m just sat at home. You shouldn’t be allowed to scream that loud when you’re in a middle of a leg ffs. Absolute joke.

I agree to a point, but if Anderson had just got on with it then Price would have realised he was getting nowhere. As it was, Price could see he was rattled and just played on it
    Anderson had sorted it out, won 4 on the trot to go 11-8 up, then got broken at the worst time. For a few legs, the shenanigans stopped and the game was an enjoyable tussle. At 13 all, Price started playing up again.

He’s screaming in his face in the middle of a leg before he’s about to take his throw ffs.

I don’t even think it’s gamesmanship. Listen to him afterwards in his interviews. Bloke is just a cock.

Made me so angry and I’m just sat at home. You shouldn’t be allowed to scream that loud when you’re in a middle of a leg ffs. Absolute joke.
    Yes. Hopefully the DRA will address this. There's no way a player should be able to intimidate another player like that on stage.

Peter Manley was another who loved his mind games, though was far more subtle. Apparently, he kept whispering to Adrian Lewis during that ill-mannered quarter final at the Circus Tavern how he was going to fck his mother!

He’s screaming in his face in the middle of a leg before he’s about to take his throw ffs.

I don’t even think it’s gamesmanship. Listen to him afterwards in his interviews. Bloke is just a cock.
    Noticeable how Price was taken off the stage for his interview. How embarrassing must it be to be lifting the trophy to a crowd chanting for his opponent.

The problem now is that he'll think this is the way to be successful and could end up ramping it up a notch or two.

Noticeable how Price was taken off the stage for his interview. How embarrassing must it be to be lifting the trophy to a crowd chanting for his opponent.

The problem now is that he'll think this is the way to be successful and could end up ramping it up a notch or two.
    Needs a few hammerings like he did in the PL, bring him down a peg or two.

First Welshman to win a PDC and I couldn’t be more gutted.

No problem for me, it's for what 100k? Do what you need to get into your opponents head, you're already limited by what you can do in darts so fair play to him. The sport needs characters.

If there is bother between him and other players then it makes future matches more entertaining.

Not forgetting he played some good darts.

Yes. Hopefully the DRA will address this. There's no way a player should be able to intimidate another player like that on stage.

Peter Manley was another who loved his mind games, though was far more subtle. Apparently, he kept whispering to Adrian Lewis during that ill-mannered quarter final at the Circus Tavern how he was going to fck his mother!
    I can't stand Lewis so I think that was acceptable behaviour from Manley as for price the guy is a bellend

Is Price a nasty bit of work or is he merely playing the role of a pantomime villain to boost TV ratings?

This court report from 2010 indicates he's a bad egg.

Rugby player hospitalised after brawl outside Bargoed pub: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/l...-brawl-1886421

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Is Price a nasty bit of work or is he merely playing the role of a pantomime villain to boost TV ratings?

This court report from 2010 indicates he's a bad egg.

Rugby player hospitalised after brawl outside Bargoed pub: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/l...-brawl-1886421
    Lots reckon he's a total prick. That is also my own impression of the guy given his demeanour on stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    No problem for me, it's for what 100k? Do what you need to get into your opponents head, you're already limited by what you can do in darts so fair play to him. The sport needs characters.

If there is bother between him and other players then it makes future matches more entertaining.

Not forgetting he played some good darts.
    Not that good though. Averaged 96 in the final and didn't go much above that in any of the knockout stages, the only realistic chance you've got of winning a major playing like that is bringing the big boys down to your level.

He's a character, for sure, but where do you draw the line? The commentator made a comparison with WWE wrestling in the final and that's the choice that the PDC and Sky have to make now. Is it better for business to be more of a sport entertainment than a sport itself? Will more people buy into it if idiots like Price are allowed to intimidate opponents and create 'entertaining' rivalries like you suggest? Hopefully not but I don't know.