+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best chippie in Wales.

Best chippie in Wales.

There are many more takeaways up here in the Rhondda compared to where I used to live in Cardiff and it's a real act of will power to restrict myself to only having one on my way home from City games. There are some good ones closer to my house, but, for afternoon kick offs at least, I've settled on this one;-

https://www.thecrispycod.co.uk/

My one whinge about it is that it wasn't the cheapest before they put their prices up recently, but now I'd say it's in the expensive class. However, if the higher prices are going towards things like those described in the link below, then I'm happy to pay them because their fish and chip (and curries and pies!) are excellent. Don't take my word for it though, having been voted the best Fish and Chip shop in Wales, it's now one of ten nominations for the award of best in the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46116353

Re: Best chippie in Wales.

It's on my "to try" list.

If you ever pop over the mountain to Hirwaun, Penaluna's comes highly recommended, but again probably a little more expensive. As far as fish and chips goes, I'd rather pay a bit more for a quality feed. Still lots of crap chippies out there selling soggy chips in an ocean of oil, while fish has bones and thick, greasy batter. Yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It's on my "to try" list.

If you ever pop over the mountain to Hirwaun, Penaluna's comes highly recommended, but again probably a little more expensive. As far as fish and chips goes, I'd rather pay a bit more for a quality feed. Still lots of crap chippies out there selling soggy chips in an ocean of oil, while fish has bones and thick, greasy batter. Yuck.
    I was in Hirwaun this morning and tend to get over there about once a week - I'll have a look for Penaluna's.

If you're not put off by higher prices then you should definitely give the Crispy Cod a try.

Any chippy that sells a Victoria pie , if your in North Cardiff the Five Star Fish Bar in Llandaff North is top a top end chippy ,generous servings as well ,one bag of chips is easily shared ,the pies are not left to harden as in some chippies , fish cooked fresh .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Any chippy that sells a Victoria pie , if your in North Cardiff the Five Star Fish Bar in Llandaff North is top a top end chippy ,generous servings as well ,one bag of chips is easily shared ,the pies are not left to harden as in some chippies , fish cooked fresh .
    I concur

Went to the Crispy Cod two weeks ago, and have to say it’s the best fish and chips we’ve had.

Park Street Chippy in Tenby is better than any in Cardiff .

Speronis in Llanrumney is great, loads of City stuff in there too

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    There are many more takeaways up here in the Rhondda compared to where I used to live in Cardiff and it's a real act of will power to restrict myself to only having one on my way home from City games. There are some good ones closer to my house, but, for afternoon kick offs at least, I've settled on this one;-

https://www.thecrispycod.co.uk/

My one whinge about it is that it wasn't the cheapest before they put their prices up recently, but now I'd say it's in the expensive class. However, if the higher prices are going towards things like those described in the link below, then I'm happy to pay them because their fish and chip (and curries and pies!) are excellent. Don't take my word for it though, having been voted the best Fish and Chip shop in Wales, it's now one of ten nominations for the award of best in the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46116353
    Bob you do know that there is a crispy cod in Gelli, little bit nearer than Tonyrefail, and probably be warmer by the time you get home

Zero Plus in Canton cannot be topped, missed it dearly since moving to Nottingham for uni

Po sang next to crispy cod in ton is my favourite

We’ve got a posh local chippie which names the boat the fish was caught by and where and when it was caught. This info is obviously worth paying extra for.

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    Bob you do know that there is a crispy cod in Gelli, little bit nearer than Tonyrefail, and probably be warmer by the time you get home
    Yes, it's the one in Gelli I use - its about a ten minute drive from where I live.

Seconded. Five Star is really good, it doesn’t look anything special but the fish is always great and the large bag of chips is enough for 2-3 adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Siffredi View Post
    Always gone to Feccis when in Tenby and never disappoints. Will have to try Park Street.

Tony Romas in Penclawyd is another favourite of mine. Their lightly battered cockles are the tits.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Zero Plus in Canton cannot be topped, missed it dearly since moving to Nottingham for uni
    Had some from Zero Plus on my way to the game last Friday. They were excellent.

Captains is my local. Didn't know it was in the top 10 in the country but it's certainly very good.

When I lived in Cardiff, Plassey Street was the best. Fairwater was... not.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes, it's the one in Gelli I use - its about a ten minute drive from where I live.
    A fish called Rhondda is decent too Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Siffredi View Post
    I agree. Was only in there last week. Didn't have to queue for a change. Much better than Fecci's .

Had battered halloumi in a chip shop in Machynlleth in the summer. Wish more chip shops would do this for us veggies.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Had battered halloumi in a chip shop in Machynlleth in the summer. Wish more chip shops would do this for us veggies.
    Go to Scotland before Brexit hits ,they do a marvellous fried Mars bar.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    A fish called Rhondda is decent too Bob
    That's one of the ones I meant when I said "There are some good ones closer to my house".

Go to Scotland before Brexit hits ,they do a marvellous fried Mars bar.
    There's a chippy in Borth that does Mars bars in batter.

Our local chippie does a cream egg in batter over XMAS period.

Ive been to the crispy cod and agree it was nice, quite posh for a chippy.

Plassey street in Penarth is my local and that's pretty good.

I used to like XL fish bar on Crwys Road, not sure if its still there and Albany Fish Shop used to be a good one.

Makes me laugh when people rave on about Dorothy's on Caroline Street, I went there sober once, never again!