+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best chippie in Wales.

Re: Best chippie in Wales.

A bit off-topic but when I was younger I remember my local fish shop selling Beanos. It looked like a rissole on the outside, but was full of hot baked beans. Not sure if it was a valleys thing, but it was bloody lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    A bit off-topic but when I was younger I remember my local fish shop selling Beanos. It looked like a rissole on the outside, but was full of hot baked beans. Not sure if it was a valleys thing, but it was bloody lovely.
    I like the sound of a Beano - you could even kid yourself it was quite good for you .

Quote Originally Posted by THE DON View Post
    Ive been to the crispy cod and agree it was nice, quite posh for a chippy.

Plassey street in Penarth is my local and that's pretty good.

I used to like XL fish bar on Crwys Road, not sure if its still there and Albany Fish Shop used to be a good one.

Makes me laugh when people rave on about Dorothy's on Caroline Street, I went there sober once, never again!
    Yes, I was on a training course in the centre of Cardiff one day during the time I worked in Companies House and, for reasons I still cannot fathom, decided to have a chicken curry off the bone from Dorothys for lunch when I was stone cold sober - tried it once, won't be trying it a second time!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I like the sound of a Beano - you could even kid yourself it was quite good for you .
    Sounds like a findus crispy pancake

Yes, I was on a training course in the centre of Cardiff one day during the time I worked in Companies House and, for reasons I still cannot fathom, decided to have a chicken curry off the bone from Dorothys for lunch when I was stone cold sober - tried it once, won't be trying it a second time!
    Thankfully I 'm always drunk when approaching and entering , food is top dollar every time.

Everywhere on Caroline Street is shite

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Sounds like a findus crispy pancake
    It looked like a big fish cake, but with a sausage-meat outside and quite plump, due to the beans.

Then again, what is good for you in a fish shop? It's why they're so popular!

Labelled "Dirty Dot's" and "chicken curry off the floor" for a reason Bob

It wasn't 'chicken curry' off the bone but just "chicken" with curry sauce poured over it.
    Rank but necessary when mullered.

Can anyone shed light on a place in Canton called “Rabbiottis” ? This was open during the early 90’s. My father would always stop here and pick us up fish and chips , I was under the impression it was world renowned , however with hindsight I’m guessing it was the first chippy we passed on the way home.

Dorothys is great at 2 in the morning. You would never go in there any other time.

Following on from your recommendation, I thought I'd pop into the Crispy Cod before a job in Treorchy. Thought the cost was more than reasonable for an excellent plate of fish and chips. Thanks for the heads up!

There are many more takeaways up here in the Rhondda compared to where I used to live in Cardiff and it's a real act of will power to restrict myself to only having one on my way home from City games. There are some good ones closer to my house, but, for afternoon kick offs at least, I've settled on this one;-

https://www.thecrispycod.co.uk/

My one whinge about it is that it wasn't the cheapest before they put their prices up recently, but now I'd say it's in the expensive class. However, if the higher prices are going towards things like those described in the link below, then I'm happy to pay them because their fish and chip (and curries and pies!) are excellent. Don't take my word for it though, having been voted the best Fish and Chip shop in Wales, it's now one of ten nominations for the award of best in the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46116353
    Had a quick shifty at the menu, can’t see a “GLUTEN FREE” option, so it’s a no from me

I enjoy Spertoni's fish bar in Llanrumney - like previously stated loads of Bluebirds memorabilia in the shop

My missus loves the chips from Fintans - Pentwyn

I'm not sure the last time I went in a chippy or a fast food joint TBH. If i had to get something for tea tonight from this type of eatery, I would probably head to the KFC if its still there in City road.

First golden rule, don't go to a chippy that doesn't cook/batter the fish fresh to order. Second, don't go to one that just says 'fish' on the menu.

Youngers in Birchgrove is excellent. Had a superb hake and chips from there last week...

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    I'm not sure the last time I went in a chippy or a fast food joint TBH. If i had to get something for tea tonight from this type of eatery, I would probably head to the KFC if its still there in City road.
    If you haven't been to a fast food joint for a while, avoid KFC. It's gone down hill and it's a long fcuking hill its gone down as well!

Off subject but I worked in companies House between 1979 and 2011=32 years, my name is Malcolm Wilson so we share the same surname. Big fan of zero plus in canton. Oh I just went back on topic at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    Can anyone shed light on a place in Canton called “Rabbiottis” ? This was open during the early 90’s. My father would always stop here and pick us up fish and chips , I was under the impression it was world renowned , however with hindsight I’m guessing it was the first chippy we passed on the way home.
    They've got a small coffee/ sandwich bar on Newport Road now, just next to the Immigration Offices opposite The Mercure Hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    We’ve got a posh local chippie which names the boat the fish was caught by and where and when it was caught. This info is obviously worth paying extra for.
    Is that in Broadlands, Bridgend?

In Cardiff you can't beat Youngers in Birchgrove for quality. Bit steep though.
    More convenient and better value for me is Rock and Malt in Canton. Pint in the Robin Hood while they're frying the fish.

In Tenby Feccis and Park are both good but have been using the one up the road from the latter on the corner. Great value for a huge piece of fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Malckent View Post
    Off subject but I worked in companies House between 1979 and 2011=32 years, my name is Malcolm Wilson so we share the same surname. Big fan of zero plus in canton. Oh I just went back on topic at the end.
    Sometimes visit zero plus after a City game as it's on my way back to the car. Plenty of award certificates and newspaper articles on the wall and a really tasty portion of chips aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gifaffe View Post
    In Cardiff you can't beat Youngers in Birchgrove for quality. Bit steep though.
    More convenient and better value for me is Rock and Malt in Canton. Pint in the Robin Hood while they're frying the fish.

In Tenby Feccis and Park are both good but have been using the one up the road from the latter on the corner. Great value for a huge piece of fish.
    Used to go to the Robin Hood and Romilly on Saturday nights quite often back in my drinking days, but that chippy was never open then - I rarely saw it open during the day as well, so I've never had anything from there. The Duke of Clarence was another Saturday night haunt and there's chippy close to where that pub used to be that has been there for at least twenty years that I've never ever seen open!

International

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    A fish called Rhondda is decent too Bob
    Is that the one in ton Pentre.
    what ever that one is called the fish is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Malckent View Post
    I was in Companies House from 1976 to 1989 and your name does ring a vague bell, what section were you on in the 80s?