+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Giggs

Re: Ryan Giggs

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    We lost narrowly to Denmark who are a better team and then we lost a friendly. This is Wales. What is everyone expecting?
    The result was narrow, the performances less than it seemed. It was close as our squad is better than theirs, its just that fact we don't have a clue about breaking teams down

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    We lost narrowly to Denmark who are a better team and then we lost a friendly. This is Wales. What is everyone expecting?
    Two draws against Denmark which a more experienced, "street wise" manager would have got us. A win over a poor Albanian team, and a far less 'Bobby Gould style' defeat against Spain!

Giggs is always going to be an easy target for his off the field issues and fact he prioritised man United over Wales.

Especially with United being the most hated team.

Albania game was disappointing but it was just a team thrown together in what was a pretty much a pointless game. There was enough good players to show what they can do and they didn't.

Denmark we didn't deserve to lose and missed some easy chances. I know Denmark are not a big name but they drew with finalists Croatia in the world cup and winners France.

The away game was disappointing but we certainly weren't favourites.

International football you can only work with players you have and based on that you certainly have to play the system he is if want to get as many of the better players in.

People say to go with vokes but he is trying to play with a fluid front 3 not a target man.
    People are putting a lot of their hopes on Ampadu who was superb v ireland but disappointing against Denmark away and lost his man and head in the home game.
    I didn't want Giggs to be manager but I can certainly see what he's trying to do.

The losses against uruguay and Mexico are quite good considering players had available and the opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Giggs is always going to be an easy target for his off the field issues and fact he prioritised man United over Wales.

Especially with United being the most hated team.

Albania game was disappointing but it was just a team thrown together in what was a pretty much a pointless game. There was enough good players to show what they can do and they didn't.

Denmark we didn't deserve to lose and missed some easy chances. I know Denmark are not a big name but they drew with finalists Croatia in the world cup and winners France.

The away game was disappointing but we certainly weren't favourites.

International football you can only work with players you have and based on that you certainly have to play the system he is if want to get as many of the better players in.

People say to go with vokes but he is trying to play with a fluid front 3 not a target man.
    People are putting a lot of their hopes on Ampadu who was superb v ireland but disappointing against Denmark away and lost his man and head in the home game.
    I didn't want Giggs to be manager but I can certainly see what he's trying to do.

The losses against uruguay and Mexico are quite good considering players had available and the opposition.
    Playing a conentional striker in Roberts/Vokes limits the fluidity of the front three

Personally I'd like to see Bale up front with Ramsey in the number 10 role with Brooks wide right and one of Wilson/Lawrence/James/Woodburn etc on the other side (Personally lean towards Wilson) with them swapping roles with Bale a the game dictates. Something similar to what we saw in the first game against Ireland

Hennessey

Roberts Mepham Chester Davies

Ampadu Allen

Brooks Ramsey Wilson/Lawrence

Bale

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC27 View Post
    The result was narrow, the performances less than it seemed. It was close as our squad is better than theirs, its just that fact we don't have a clue about breaking teams down
    You honestly think the Welsh Squad is better than Denmark?

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Touch and go. There's not a massive difference, I'm more concerned with the manner of the defeat. It was pretty abject. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46147506

Man for man, there's obviously stand outs and they have more depth but they play to a plan. I can't work out what Giggs is trying to do, except keep the ball for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    player for player, yes

why play Bale at number 9 where he has his back to goal and cant utilise his pace. Maybe play Lawrence up top with Bale and Brooks supporting and Ramsey joining from midfield.

I don't blame Giggs for using these glorified friendlies to see what talent is out there, but I hope he settles on a consistent lineup for the Euro qualifiers. Finding Brooks, Roberts, Wilson and Ampadu is a big plus in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiwbina Blues View Post
    why play Bale at number 9 where he has his back to goal and cant utilise his pace. Maybe play Lawrence up top with Bale and Brooks supporting and Ramsey joining from midfield.
    I didn't mean number 9, i mean a second striker, who can drift, not stuck out wide tracking back, and doing a ramsey aka trying to do everything

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I don't blame Giggs for using these glorified friendlies to see what talent is out there, but I hope he settles on a consistent lineup for the Euro qualifiers. Finding Brooks, Roberts, Wilson and Ampadu is a big plus in my opinion.
    "finding"... Think Bournemouth found brooks, chealsea found ampadu, liverpool found wilson and roberts is no great shake. There's utilising young players and then there's just doing it for the sake of it, trying to make 26 year old nobodies into promising prospects

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC27 View Post
    "finding"... Think Bournemouth found brooks, chealsea found ampadu, liverpool found wilson and roberts is no great shake. There's utilising young players and then there's just doing it for the sake of it, trying to make 26 year old nobodies into promising prospects
    Finding they are capable of making the step up ...

They were also playing for Wales age group teams before they signed any professional contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Finding they are capable of making the step up ...

They were also playing for Wales age group teams before they signed any professional contracts.
    Giggs didn't find them

Ampadu, Brooks, Wilson and Woodburn were all given their first caps by Coleman, whilst Tyler Roberts had already been involved with training camps under Coleman. Giggs didn't "find" anyone except maybe James Lawrence, who's family had rung the FAW to tell them about his eligibility

It would have taken a bloody fool not to recognise that Brooks (first team at Bournemouth), Wilson (first team at Derby and hugely impressive at Hull last season), Ampadu (probably one of Europe's hottest prospects) and Roberts (Leeds United regular) couldn't make the step up past the likes of Cotteril, Robson-Kanu, Edwards and Shaun MacDonald

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Giggs didn't find them

Ampadu, Brooks, Wilson and Woodburn were all given their first caps by Coleman, whilst Tyler Roberts had already been involved with training camps under Coleman. Giggs didn't "find" anyone except maybe James Lawrence, who's family had rung the FAW to tell them about his eligibility

It would have taken a bloody fool not to recognise that Brooks (first team at Bournemouth), Wilson (first team at Derby and hugely impressive at Hull last season), Ampadu (probably one of Europe's hottest prospects) and Roberts (Leeds United regular) couldn't make the step up past the likes of Cotteril, Robson-Kanu, Edwards and Shaun MacDonald
    I'm talking about giving them game time since he took over and letting them settle into the team, hence finding out if they were up to the task! Also you've got the wrong Roberts

Just pointing out that had we drawn at home against Denmark, we would have got through after the draw against Ireland in Aarhaus.

I know that the Den v Irl game might have turned out different if that were the case, but it just goes to show that a draw for us might not have been terrible.

Could the FAW sack Giggs any time soon?

I think Giggs has done well.

When we've played well we have looked ****ing brilliant.

Yes there are other games we haven't done as well, but hey, this is Wales. Do people not remember when we scraped an away win in Andorra?

Coleman's team were a good counterattacking side, but pretty easy to nullify if you were tactically astute. Giggs sides seem to offer more against a camped defence.
    I thought they did pretty well against a strong Denmark side, and were a little unlucky.

The main point for me though is we seem to be progressing, whilst bringing through a load of talented youngsters.
    Toshack blooded a lot of youngsters and we have benefited from that, but in doing so he also took us down to 117 in the FIFA rankings and into the 5th Ranking pot , which makes qualifying a lot more difficult.

Under Giggs we are playing good football, and blooding youngsters and getting a similar amount of good results as ever.
    I was extremely dubious of his appointment, not least because of that video of his rousing team speech at man utd, but I think he is doing a really good job so far.

How did Coleman or speed do when they first took over?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think Giggs has done well.

When we've played well we have looked ****ing brilliant.
    At which games did we look ****ing brilliant? Please don't tell me it was the two we played against Ireland? This current Irish team is the worst I have seen in 35 years. So bad infact, that they sacked their manager and assisstant O'Neil and Keane, not long after playing us

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    At which games did we look ****ing brilliant? Please don't tell me it was the two we played against Ireland? This current Irish team is the worst I have seen in 35 years. So bad infact, that they sacked their manager and assisstant O'Neil and Keane, not long after playing us
    If only they were that bad the previous time we played them at home

Ireland drew twice against Denmark and their Management resigned were not sacked? We did look brilliant against Ireland at home compared to Coleman’s team in the World Cup qualifying game against them? Give the guy a chance,better record than Coleman despite playing kids?

I think looking brilliant against Ireland is the root of the problem.

Giggs doesn’t realise that there is more to being a successful team than playing well against weaker teams.

Denmark are not nice to watch but they are potentially through to the Euros already.

That’s the difference.

Giggs didn't find them

I wish Warnock had recognised that Wales had some outstanding talent and signed some of them?

Denmark are an established and well drilled international side who are ranked 10th in the world, so I'm not sure why some people expect a team in transition to roll them over every time we play them.

Asking a question and then dictating that two good performances aren't included in the answer seems a bit unfair

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Asking a question and then dictating that two good performances aren't included in the answer seems a bit unfair
    The performance away in Ireland wasn't great, Wilson bailed us out

The performance away in Ireland wasn't great, Wilson bailed us out
    I didn't say it was great