+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Best tablet with built in wi fi ?

Best tablet with built in wi fi ?

Broadband is crap in my house , talk talk , bt, the lot

What's the best tablet with wi fi

Re: Best tablet with built in wi fi ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Broadband is crap in my house , talk talk , bt, the lot

What's the best tablet with wi fi
    Do you mean 4G i.e. you want to connect to a mobile provider?

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Do you mean 4G i.e. you want to connect to a mobile provider?
    Yep

Yep
    Just so anyone who does know (I don't) will know what you are looking for. I don't really use a tablet as they are the same price as a laptop, so you may as well get a laptop...

I 'tether' my mobile phone to my laptop via bluetooth to be able to connect to the internet when I'm away from a wifi signal. Works well

I like tablets , they are computers for the thick like me

Do you have to pay the external mobile network provider ? And if so , how

I like tablets , they are computers for the thick like me

Do you have to pay the external mobile network provider ? And if so , how
    You basically put a SIM card in - the same as in your phone - and have a contract with them. Quite a few do data only contracts.

If you already have a phone which can connect to the internet then I'd hope that quite a few tablets would allow you to connect to your phone and use the data in that plan if you needed internet access and your wifi wasn't working.

Best SIM only deals for November 2018 - https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/g...sim-only-deals

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Best SIM only deals for November 2018 - https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/g...sim-only-deals
    That's left me even more confused

first you need find a good mobile isp, it will depend on the signal in your area

secondly, see if that 4g is faster than BB, i would think it isnt, it would be rare to get better 4g than BB, unless you really live in the sticks miles away from the exchange

thirdly, get a MIFI unit for the chosen 4g provider

you can then get any tablet and just connect via the wifi on the mifi box

of course, this will mean fook all to you, sorry

You may just be very unlucky in that your abode is a black spot and you'll experience slow speeds whomever your provider and whatever device used is when connecting to the internet there and switching to a different provider for the same result will only cause you greater frustration. If you could get someone there with a phone which connects to the internet via the 3 network, for example, and connectivity and speed is good then one of their SIM only packages would be ideal for you.

Or just go back to magazines and vhs for your fix

You may just be very unlucky in that your abode is a black spot
    Isn't that a given?

Isn't the wifi connected to your house by cable?

The 4g ones will connect to the internet away from a WiFi spot. It's pretty unlikely that they will be quicker.

As for a recommendation I would firstly choose apple or android. I'd only choose apple if you have other apple products i.e. phone, MacBook etc as they work together nicely.
    Assuming it's android it really depends on budget

Threaten to leave your provider you may find ypu will get an upgrade wi fi hub or re wiring from the exchange into the house and new wiring internally . Have you tried using WI fi extenders fix my issue ,but spent good money on a netgear power line 1000mps make sure it has an Ethernet connection as well so you can run cables from it to tele or laptop in another room

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Or just go back to magazines and vhs for your fix

So the WiFi router in your home is connected to the Internet via WiFi?

You may just be very unlucky in that your abode is a black spot and you'll experience slow speeds whomever your provider and whatever device used is when connecting to the internet there and switching to a different provider for the same result will only cause you greater frustration. If you could get someone there with a phone which connects to the internet via the 3 network, for example, and connectivity and speed is good then one of their SIM only packages would be ideal for you.
    Take it to Blind Pugh....

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    So the WiFi router in your home is connected to the Internet via WiFi?
    no,via the phone line / cable

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    no,via the phone line / cable
    So how can you be in a bad spot? Surely, if you have cable coming into the house and a decent router, your connection should be just the same as everyone else's?

Don't they guarantee speeds over there?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    So how can you be in a bad spot? Surely, if you have cable coming into the house and a decent router, your connection should be just the same as everyone else's?

Don't they guarantee speeds over there?
    in theory your whole street should be the same, but the closer to the " telephone exchange " ( we have small " sub-exchanges" in area's ) the faster you will be ( shorter distance for the signal to travel over the cables )
    But that falls down with SKY TV/BB having its own section is exchanges, so BT could over sell connections at the exchange ( slower speeds due to more people using the bandwidth ) and SKY might only have 1/2 the connections ( thus faster )

Of course we then have cable ( or some do ) and that will be faster as it is using modern fibre-optic cables with alot more space to move faster bandwidth

as for the " black spot " you could be down a country lane miles from the exchange and still be connection via the old copper cable from the 70's / 80's, this will of course be slow

then you have the 3G / 4G / Mobile black spot that will be caused by very poor mobile phone reception , this might vary from service providers who might have a mobile mast near by or not

Oh and cable will guarantee a speed, most will just give you a min guarantee to cover bases ( but that will likely be a very low meg speed