+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Welsh Income Tax

Welsh Income Tax

Just got a letter from HRMC stating the income tax I pay now as a resident , living and earning in Wales , will be set by the Welsh Government ,I guess it could be set higher than the current level, ones personal allowance remains the same as the rest of the UK .

Re: Welsh Income Tax

Bit late for the postman in it

There will be no change in the foreseeable future. Unless of course you are in higher tax brackets.

Don't see how they can change things - is it based on where you live or where you work?

Company payroll software will be a nightmare if it has to maintain two different tax systems that might changes depending on location.

The Welsh Government might have the power but will be reluctant to use it. The Scots have had tax raising powers for years and haven't to my knowledge increased the tax burden on their population.

Is that the tax raising powers that they said the would never want when they were voted in...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Don't see how they can change things - is it based on where you live or where you work?

Company payroll software will be a nightmare if it has to maintain two different tax systems that might changes depending on location.
    According to the letter it depends on where you live. If you live in Wales a C will be added to the front of your tax code. Company payroll software will simply adhere to the new code, the same way as married persons allowance is.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Bit late for the postman in it
    I have complained about these night deliveries ,no one is battering an eyelid

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    The Welsh Government might have the power but will be reluctant to use it. The Scots have had tax raising powers for years and haven't to my knowledge increased the tax burden on their population.
    They have slightly different rates with a lower burden on smallerincomes and a higher rate of 46% .
    If I remember correctly the armed forces adjusted their pay rates to ensure those personell employed in Scotland end up with the same take home pay.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Second rate politicians voting themselves more powers so they can charge the poor taxpayers for their own economic shortcomings Shock

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Were any of that lot down the Bay involved in lying to the public about Brexit
    Why aren’t they going to be charged with criminal deception like Johnson Gove and the other twats should be

Wrong - Basic rate in Scotland is now 21p

I voted no to a Welsh assembly so I am not amused that the amount of income tax I pay might be increased. I would be happy to pay extra tax ONLY IF it was ring-fenced for the NHS in Wales and not for increasing the number of AM's or the cost of running the WAG.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I voted no to a Welsh assembly so I am not amused that the amount of income tax I pay might be increased. I would be happy to pay extra tax ONLY IF it was ring-fenced for the NHS in Wales and not for increasing the number of AM's or the cost of running the WAG.
    Who has the political power at the Assembly?

Quote Originally Posted by Grandstand Boy View Post
    Wrong - Basic rate in Scotland is now 21p
    I said the tax burden hadn't increased meaning the Scots had raised no money by adjusting the rates. I could be wrong but have heard this stated on many occasions on the former Daily Politics show and Adam Boulton's politics programme on Sky.

what do higher income tax payers these days ?

Over £46k it's 40%. Over £150k it's 45%.
    If WAG decides it's going to raise the higher rate, I'll probably just bring forward my retirement date to avoid it.
    They're taking their role in keeping Wales as a low-wage economy very seriously to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    According to the letter it depends on where you live. If you live in Wales a C will be added to the front of your tax code. Company payroll software will simply adhere to the new code, the same way as married persons allowance is.
    That would work ok if you change the thresholds - not sure if you actually change the %

Companies are already having to deal with these differences for the Scottish variations.

I said the tax burden hadn't increased meaning the Scots had raised no money by adjusting the rates. I could be wrong but have heard this stated on many occasions on the former Daily Politics show and Adam Boulton's politics programme on Sky.
    In 2018/19 Evil Janice Krankie and her finance chums adjusted the rates of income tax here in Scotland. Now there is a starter rate of 19%, then 20%, then 21% and then 41% which kicks in after earning £31,581 above your personal allowance. The top tax bracket of 46% kicks in on earnings of £150,000 above your personal allowance.

In this same year, the rest of the UK pay 40% at £34,501 above the personal allowance, and 45% from £150K.

I have a close eye on the Scottish budget next month as the 40% bracket is moving to £50,000 for the rest of the UK (or £37,500 above the standard personal allowance of £12,500). If the SNP do not at least match the increase of basic rate of £3,000 then middle income earners will fall even further behind their colleagues elsewhere in the UK.

Evil Janice believes that anybody earning over £43,430 is rolling in cash and should be taxed more heavily to assist the poorest in society. I'd like her to knock my door in the next campaign so I can ask her if she thinks my "hourly rate" is excessive, when I factor in the untold hours working at home away from the workplace.

Friends up here believe that the SNP are taking now so they can offer a big financial "give away" when it comes to voting time but I don't buy this at all.

Now whether this rebalancing of tax has increased the tax burden I do not know, but I'd be surprised if it hadn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dargavel View Post
    In 2018/19 Evil Janice Krankie and her finance chums adjusted the rates of income tax here in Scotland. Now there is a starter rate of 19%, then 20%, then 21% and then 41% which kicks in after earning £31,581 above your personal allowance. The top tax bracket of 46% kicks in on earnings of £150,000 above your personal allowance.

In this same year, the rest of the UK pay 40% at £34,501 above the personal allowance, and 45% from £150K.

I have a close eye on the Scottish budget next month as the 40% bracket is moving to £50,000 for the rest of the UK (or £37,500 above the standard personal allowance of £12,500). If the SNP do not at least match the increase of basic rate of £3,000 then middle income earners will fall even further behind their colleagues elsewhere in the UK.

Evil Janice believes that anybody earning over £43,430 is rolling in cash and should be taxed more heavily to assist the poorest in society. I'd like her to knock my door in the next campaign so I can ask her if she thinks my "hourly rate" is excessive, when I factor in the untold hours working at home away from the workplace.

Friends up here believe that the SNP are taking now so they can offer a big financial "give away" when it comes to voting time but I don't buy this at all.

Now whether this rebalancing of tax has increased the tax burden I do not know, but I'd be surprised if it hadn't.
    Somewhat agree with the broader point but she isn't responsible for you being a doormat to your employer.

Unfortunately the tax burden isn't on the rich it is on those with relatively high incomes. Policy makers need to approach this more intelligently. At the moment they are hammering those on PAYE until every single one of them is equally poor, whilst the majority of those super rich who have benefited immensely from growing up and living/working here hide their cash somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dargavel View Post

No we don't. It's £46k.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    No we don't. It's £46k.
    £11850 allowance + £34501 = £46351. Which is what the previous poster stated.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    £11850 allowance + £34501 = £46351. Which is what the previous poster stated.
    Yep. Fair cop.