+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Changing managers outside the window

Re: Changing managers outside the window

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I'm just glad other industries are more forgiving than football
    I heard a number of pundits talking about Trollope's position as our manager at the time. The general consensus was that Trollope is great being out with the players on the coaching field but, as manager, would have spent most of his time in the office dealing with the crap that goes with being in charge. I can't recall any one of them saying that it was a position that Trollope would grow into. Some people don't make the step up and become good managers, regardless of how much time they're given.

For me, the only shame is that we didn't keep hold of him as a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I heard a number of pundits talking about Trollope's position as our manager at the time. The general consensus was that Trollope is great being out with the players on the coaching field but, as manager, would have spent most of his time in the office dealing with the crap that goes with being in charge. I can't recall any one of them saying that it was a position that Trollope would grow into. Some people don't make the step up and become good managers, regardless of how much time they're given.

For me, the only shame is that we didn't keep hold of him as a coach.
    On the other hand, there is more than one way of being a manager. If you have a weakness in your skill set then improve or bring someone else in to over that aspect. Some managers spend a lot of time on the training pitch, others leave that to the coaches entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    On the other hand, there is more than one way of being a manager. If you have a weakness in your skill set then improve or bring someone else in to over that aspect. Some managers spend a lot of time on the training pitch, others leave that to the coaches entirely.
    Or it could be that Trollope is an excellent coach, useless manager and shouldn't have been given the job in the first place.

I'm not blaming Trollope in any of this, or knocking his abilities by the way. Far from it. But at the time, his position as manager clearly wasn't working and our performances, morale etc were plummetting. It wasn't as if things were starting to get better. They were getting worse. That says 100% that Trollope wasn't suitable for the requirements of being a manager. In the end he chopped and changed personnel and formations so often trying to find a winning formula, that it went tits up. He, along with Solskjaer, were our worst two managers since the millennium. Slightly ironic, that, because Slade was arguably propped up by Trollope's excellence as a coach and assistant, but Slade could manage. Trollope clearly couldn't.