+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Great spirit - that's what will keep us up

Great spirit - that's what will keep us up

All 3 of our wins have come after conceding the first goal.

Re: Great spirit - that's what will keep us up

I bet the rest of the premier league are afraid of scoring first against us now...

Great spirit and a bit of luck

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I bet the rest of the premier league are afraid of scoring first against us now...
    Yeah those Pensioners had us sussed😡😡😡

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Great spirit and a bit of luck
    Nothing lucky about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Nothing lucky about it.
    Football is a game of fine margins and good fortune that cannot be replicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Football is a game of fine margins and good fortune that cannot be replicated.
    Consider me enlightened.

All I know is that we won the second balls, put in the tackles, got into the right areas and scored goals....more often and in greater numbers.

I don’t have the luck stats to hand though. I’ll give you that.

There has been a disrespectful tone towards Cardiff within the media. Stick it up them and stay up. Wolves may be in the slide.

Consider me enlightened.

All I know is that we won the second balls, put in the tackles, got into the right areas and scored goals....more often and in greater numbers.

I felt Wolves won most of the 50-50s, denied us space and made us look quite average for around an hour. Then something changed, not sure what, but we suddenly had a bit of impetus and I felt we started to get on top of them. They are a bigger side than we are and more than matched us physically (that side of us we know is grossly exaggerated). I felt an equaliser was on the cards if we carried on, and it happened. After that there was only one likely winner.

Consider me enlightened.

My apologies, I though we were talking about the entire season. Today was an excellent result played with great spirit, but we will still need some luck to grind out result over the rest of the season. Hopefully some reinforcements will arrive in January, and we can move up a gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I felt Wolves won most of the 50-50s, denied us space and made us look quite average for around an hour. Then something changed, not sure what, but we suddenly had a bit of impetus and I felt we started to get on top of them. They are a bigger side than we are and more than matched us physically (that side of us we know is grossly exaggerated). I felt an equaliser was on the cards if we carried on, and it happened. After that there was only one likely winner.
    We were a little meek in the first half and maybe I'm being a bit selective memory-wise but I can't remember them having any killer opportunities apart from their goal. I feel the whole of the second half was ours. Even from the kick off, putting it out long to the right wing like a kick off in rugby.....it wasn't pretty but we looked like we meant business.

They had a couple of long shots and that youngster they've got could have done better with the Cavallero cross. Some scrambles in the box as well, but nothing incisive enough from them I felt. They've probably lost 5 of their last six for a reason We've probably won 3 from four at home for a reason .

We were gutsy and passionate in our play for most of the second half. If we didn't win the second balls we got amongst them and tackled well. We limited them and were strong in their box. We won the 50/50 balls when it counted most and broke up play when we needed to.

We were a little meek in the first half and maybe I'm being a bit selective memory-wise but I can't remember them having any killer opportunities apart from their goal. I feel the whole of the second half was ours. Even from the kick off, putting it out long to the right wing like a kick off in rugby.....it wasn't pretty but we looked like we meant business.

They had a couple of long shots and that youngster they've got could have done better with the Cavallero cross. Some scrambles in the box as well, but nothing incisive enough from them I felt. They've probably lost 5 of their last six for a reason We've probably won 3 from four at home for a reason .

We were gutsy and passionate in our play for most of the second half. If we didn't win the second balls we got amongst them and tackled well. We limited them and were strong in their box. We won the 50/50 balls when it counted most and broke up play when we needed to.
    I think the phrase that springs to mind is "one for the purists", but agree with all of that. They looked out of sorts. We wanted it more than them in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I think the phrase that springs to mind is "one for the purists", but agree with all of that. They looked out of sorts. We wanted it more than them in the end.
    True enough. If we do stay up though, I think we'll do it playing ugly. I also feel we might get most joy against these types of teams though, The teams that are a pretty enough to be a mid table side, but don't necessarily have enough fight to beat us at the CCS. I'm thinking of teams like West Ham, Bournemouth and maybe Everton. It'll probably be even more of a slog against Southampton, Palace and Huddersfield. But, we'll have to take points from all of these games at home. It's going to be a close fought thing but fingers crossed. Tonight is definitely encouraging.

True enough. If we do stay up though, I think we'll do it playing ugly. I also feel we might get most joy against these types of teams though, The teams that are a pretty enough to be a mid table side, but don't necessarily have enough fight to beat us at the CCS. I'm thinking of teams like West Ham, Bournemouth and maybe Everton. It'll probably be even more of a slog against Southampton, Palace and Huddersfield. But, we'll have to take points from all of these games at home. It's going to be a close fought thing but fingers crossed. Tonight is definitely encouraging.
    It certainly is.

We're also learning about life at this level. It's easy to forget how much Premier League experience is in the playing staff - virtually none. We wouldn't have won this game 2 months ago, and that's not just down to Wolves' slump. We're a better team than the one that started the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    There has been a disrespectful tone towards Cardiff within the media. Stick it up them and stay up. Wolves may be in the slide.
    To be fair Carragher liked us all night. He even thought we were decent in the first half, which surprises me because our group of fans were very unhappy at half time.

But that second half show (which I've watched again now) was powerful. As Carragher said, Wolves couldn't live with us in the second half.

A brilliant result. We can stay in this league.

One thing Warnock said in his post match comments last night just shows the team spirit and togetherness we have.

"Gunnarsson's made a mistake, we've gotta get him out of it now."

Rallying the whole team to get their teammate out of trouble.

That will win us a fair amount of points going forward. The desire and willingness to work for each other.