+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blocking

Blocking

I wanted to see their goal over as I thought there was some blocking going on, haven’t as yet, but more obvious perhaps was Patterson’s block on their keeper for our equaliser.

Foul ? Or not ?
    I’d say no, but I’ve seen them given.
    The ref Marriner didn’t seem to bothered about pushing, shirt pulling and blocking mind
    Certainly let the game flow. I thought Wolves were cynical and the free kick count could have been double the 12-3 it was.

Our discipline is superb by the way. Only 3 free kicks, albeit with a fairly lenient ref against the best footballers in the world 🙂😂

Re: Blocking

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    I wanted to see their goal over as I thought there was some blocking going on, haven’t as yet, but more obvious perhaps was Patterson’s block on their keeper for our equaliser.

Foul ? Or not ?
    The ref Marriner didn’t seem to bothered about pushing, shirt pulling and blocking mind
    Certainly let the game flow. I thought Wolves were cynical and the free kick count could have been double the 12-3 it was.

Our discipline is superb by the way. Only 3 free kicks, albeit with a fairly lenient ref against the best footballers in the world 🙂😂
    It looked more like a nudge than a block. Actually, it's difficult for a ref to call a block at a corner.. I mean a player is entitled to stand his ground and hold a position.

On another note: Paterson certainly puts a lot of effort in during a game, however, I think he looks for the free-kick too often. The commentators were highlighting this aspect of his game and questioning how a big unit like him goes down so easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    It looked more like a nudge than a block. Actually, it's difficult for a ref to call a block at a corner.. I mean a player is entitled to stand his ground and hold a position.

On another note: Paterson certainly puts a lot of effort in during a game, however, I think he looks for the free-kick too often. The commentators were highlighting this aspect of his game and questioning how a big unit like him goes down so easily.
    Dis they debate the ‘penalty’ incident?

Just pure clever play from Patterson he doesn’t need to get out of the way, but as already been alluded to he’s going down way to easy needs to try and stay on his feet but you got to love the guys effort he doesn’t stop running

Foul ? Or not ?

Our discipline is superb by the way. Only 3 free kicks, albeit with a fairly lenient ref against the best footballers in the world ����
    Think you should have added "for a bunch of cloggers" after "is superb by the way" Tim .

I agree about the Paterson block and I've just been watching a Wolves video in which they saw the keeper should have just cleaned him out, they didn't think a foul should have been given.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Think you should have added "for a bunch of cloggers" after "is superb by the way" Tim .

I agree about the Paterson block and I've just been watching a Wolves video in which they saw the keeper should have just cleaned him out, they didn't think a foul should have been given.
    That was pretty much my view.

Just wondered if I was being a bit 1 eyed.

You don’t see many free kicks for ‘obstruction ‘ these days, but maybe that’s what it was ?

That was pretty much my view.

Just wondered if I was being a bit 1 eyed.

You don’t see many free kicks for ‘obstruction ‘ these days, but maybe that’s what it was ?
    I may be wrong, but I don't think the obstruction law exists any more.

Callum Paterson has been a bloody superstar for us for well over a year.
    He didn’t win many headers last night which was odd. Maybe the conditions didn’t help. His work rate and fitness are astounding. A true athlete. How many players in that position regularly play 90 minutes week in week out.

His positioning for our opener was brilliant. If you get a chance to see it again look how he sprints 6 yards away from his man to get in front of their keeper. Foul my arse.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    Callum Paterson has been a bloody superstar for us for well over a year.
    He didn’t win many headers last night which was odd. Maybe the conditions didn’t help. His work rate and fitness are astounding. A true athlete. How many players in that position regularly play 90 minutes week in week out.

His positioning for our opener was brilliant. If you get a chance to see it again look how he sprints 6 yards away from his man to get in front of their keeper. Foul my arse.
    Callum is a really intelligent footballer and knows instinctively where to position himself. He was physically battered by their defence last night and will be sore today but he never gives up. One of the best players I have seen at Cardiff. He’s moving into McNaughton territory for me in terms of legend status.

Regarding the Paterson incident: could you ever imagine Jim Eadie or Bill Irwin not sorting an opposition forward and clearing the danger before that goal? Their keeper should have been far more assertive.

StT.
    <><

His two footed jumping into the net celebration, wonderful

https://twitter.com/aedanab/status/1...864925698?s=21

I can't remember lots of protests from the Wolves defence when the ball was put in. My feeling was that Patricio bottled it.

Disclaimer: I haven't seen the goal on TV, so if I'm wrong, then feel free to take the piss!

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Just pure clever play from Patterson he doesn’t need to get out of the way, but as already been alluded to he’s going down way to easy needs to try and stay on his feet but you got to love the guys effort he doesn’t stop running
    Agree with this Patterson was closer to the ball than Patricio he's got to alter his position.

Patterson does try and win free kicks but his positioning is so clever for someone who isn't a striker

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Half the time there was no one to pass too.

The only option was to take the free kick and regroup for a set piece

The keeper should have been more assertive, I'd be very disappointed if Etheridge conceded in a similar fashion

I may be wrong, but I don't think the obstruction law exists any more.
    The law still exists, but it isn't called obstruction these days. It's called 'Impeding The Progress Of An Opponent Without Contact'. It reads as follows:

"Impeding the progress of an opponent means moving into the opponent’s path to obstruct, block, slow down or force a change of direction when the ball is not within playing distance of either player."

This was debated earlier on Soccer Saturday. It was clearly a foul by Patterson, but more fool the keeper for not making more of an effort to go through him or claim the foul. Patterson certainly got away with it but it was pathetic goalkeeping.

Agree it was a foul. However there is fouling at every set piece in the box. It was pathetic keeping. He should have cleaned Patterson out.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The law still exists, but it isn't called obstruction these days. It's called 'Impeding The Progress Of An Opponent Without Contact'. It reads as follows:

"Impeding the progress of an opponent means moving into the opponent’s path to obstruct, block, slow down or force a change of direction when the ball is not within playing distance of either player."

This was debated earlier on Soccer Saturday. It was clearly a foul by Patterson, but more fool the keeper for not making more of an effort to go through him or claim the foul. Patterson certainly got away with it but it was pathetic goalkeeping.
    Flipping heck. There would be a foul every few minutes if that law was used fully

I haven't seen it again but I though if Morrison hadn't been there then the ball would have fallen to Patterson's new position. Wouldn't that suggest the ball was in playing distance?

I'll have to watch again.

Flipping heck. There would be a foul every few minutes if that law was used fully
    There would be every set piece in every game.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    His two footed jumping into the net celebration, wonderful

https://twitter.com/aedanab/status/1...864925698?s=21
    Paterson is making damn sure the ball is in the net

If you want to watch blatant blocking watch Dale Stephens when Brighton scored against us.

Never a foul, he simply positioned himself to challenge for the ball as it was coming it. he’s allowed to do that. Of course he knew he was making it hard for the keeper at the same time. The keeper should have cleaned him out.

I'm not sure if it was a foul or not but one thing I do know is that we are getting treated far less harshly by referees than we were last time we were in the premier league.

I honestly felt like there's was corruption involved with the officiating last time we were up there but this season I feel we have had the rub of the green more often than not and even when it's gone against us I feel it's because of genuine human error.

It was clearly a foul by Patterson, but more fool the keeper for not making more of an effort to go through him or claim the foul. Patterson certainly got away with it but it was pathetic goalkeeping.
    One the Wolves defence didn't appeal for.