+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 3 5 2 Formation Suits Sol Bamba.

3 5 2 Formation Suits Sol Bamba.

I reckon that was Sol's best game last night, and Morrison looked a lot more comfortable playing in a three. Props to Bruno as well, as he looked at ease in his natural position, he's taken a fair bit of shit from a minority of supporters while playing out of position at Right back, and he's done ok there.

I believe that three at the back suits us more that a flat four, three in the centre means that there's always a man spare, which really helps Morrison as he lacks pace and sometimes a bit of composure, it means that he has that little extra bit of support and insurance. Morrison doesn't have the luxury of recovery that Bamba has. So, even though Morrison benefits and Bruno gets to play in his natural position, Bamba in effect becomes that spare man who can get on the front foot and carry the ball into midfield, he's our best central defender at carrying the ball and playing on the front foot. I thought he was great last night, getting in front of his man and making interceptions, carrying the ball into that pocket between the midfield and defence and showing some very composed moments under pressure.

Obviously, not all teams we play against are going to have one man upfront with midfielders trying to break at pace like Wolves did, or knock long balls and support like Wolves tried last night, it sort of played into our hands and during the second half when we played five yards further up the pitch our formation was affective.

So, to conclude, that was a massive positive for me last night after a first half that was low on quality from both sides. A special mention for Arter and Gunnar who didn't take a step backwards even when things weren't quite going our way, they both worked so hard and in my opinion wore Wolves down with their work rate and glimpses of real quality during the second half. Ralls looked more urgent during the second period as well.

The only negative for me is that we need to create more chances in and around the box, the ball was given to Murphy and there was a reluctance to support the man with the ball, he performed well in the first half. We deserved that last night, but we need to try and play through teams to create chances where we can, as we can't rely on World class goals to get us the points when we need them. Great second half and much to be positive about.

Re: 3 5 2 Formation Suits Sol Bamba.

I think it suits the players we have. But it will be down to who we play as to whether we play it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I think it suits the players we have. But it will be down to who we play as to whether we play it again.
    Yup, agree. The problem will be pace or quick attack minded midfielders who break quickly, and whether our wide players fancy tracking the fullbacks! Warnock got it right last night, i don't particularly like a flat four at the back, especially as Warnock doesn't allow our fullbacks to get forward because we play with wingers. As long as Murphy, Hoilett and Harris understand their role then i'd be much happier playing that way.

With Warnocks preference with wingers , I can’t see us playing this system too often.

Although with a fully fit squad ie Bennett and Richards providing the wing back roll. It could be a useful tactic for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    With Warnocks preference with wingers , I can’t see us playing this system too often.

Although with a fully fit squad ie Bennett and Richards providing the wing back roll. It could be a useful tactic for us.
    Fair shout, although i don't think that Bennett and Richards could play the wing back roll (certainly going forward) as well as Hoilett, Harris or Murphy. Camarasa is no defender but he did look more comfortable in a wider position last night.

Yes I think your right , Sol was excellent, and we had a better shape , if the midfield and forwards had controlled the ball better, and provided better movement we'd could have wrapped it up earlier.

Great performance from Sol. However i hope to never see that personnel and line up start ever again.

We're still rubbish at set pieces though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Great performance from Sol. However i hope to never see that personnel and line up start ever again.
    Why not? It just means that our wide players need to track the fullback or midfielder, on the plus side it means that we are more attack minded, especially at home. I enjoyed the openness during the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    We're still rubbish at set pieces though.
    Nothing to do with any formation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Why not? It just means that our wide players need to track the fullback or midfielder, on the plus side it means that we are more attack minded, especially at home. I enjoyed the openness during the second half.
    They weren't expecting it. Try that with a half decent fully prepared side and weve got problems. The system is ok. But we need genuine wing backs and central midfielders who can pass the ball to consistently make it work.

Camarasa and Hoillet shouldnt start there again. Just my opinion. I think Camarasa is wasted there. He should be first choice central midfield.

Nothing to do with any formation.
    Never said it was.

They weren't expecting it. Try that with a half decent fully prepared side and weve got problems. The system is ok. But we need genuine wing backs and central midfielders who can pass the ball to consistently make it work.

Camarasa and Hoillet shouldnt start there again. Just my opinion. I think Camarasa is wasted there. He should be first choice central midfield.
    Not a formation I would enjoy watching every week if I had a pacemaker.

In my opinion there isn't that much to be fearful of outside of the top six, especially at home, and Wolves had the personnel and time to change things. I believe that it gives us more chance of winning games at home, although we do need more quality in midfield when it comes to keeping the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Not a formation I would enjoy watching every week if I had a pacemaker.
    You should watch the game instead of participating in middle distance running-could be bad for your heart!

much prefer a back 3 as it suits Manga and Bamba as we saw last night. however we need to get our shape in front Gunnerson looks at ease playing the holding role but not sure Ralls is better than Camarsa in the middle leaving NML or Harris to play on the right?