+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: New European club competition announced

New European club competition announced

A third European competition with the working title 'Europa League 2' will be introduced from 2021, Uefa has confirmed.

The seventh-placed team from the Premier League will enter the play-offs of the new tournament.

As part of Uefa's 2021-2024 cycle, the Europa League will be halved in size to 32 teams with an extra play-off round between the group stage and last 16.

The new tournament will be played on Thursdays alongside the Europa League.

Every country's champions will still enter the Champions League, but the other teams from smaller countries will go straight into 'UEL2' qualifying instead of the Europa League's early rounds.

The new competition and Europa League will have the same format - eight groups of four teams with the winners going into the last 16. There will be a play-off before that round for the teams who finish second in the group and sides who finish third in the groups of the higher tournament.

The winners of the tournament will qualify for the following season's Europa League.

The Champions League format does not change.

Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin said: "The new competition makes Uefa's club competitions more inclusive than ever before. There will be more matches for more clubs, with more associations represented in the group stages.

"This competition was born out of ongoing dialogue with clubs through the European Club Association."

At least 34 countries will have teams in a group stage, compared to 26 at the moment.

Re: New European club competition announced

Sounds horrendous. If they are going to do something doing it completely different to the snoozefest the Europa league is.

A very early April Fools'?

A kind of LDV Vans Trophy for Europe? Might give Wales' clubs more of a chance of a run in Europe. I like the Europa League; it reminds me of Sportsnight when I was a lad and exotic sounding teams you'd never heard of before were featured. I don't watch it now though cos those twats at BT have gobbled it up. Maybe ITV4 could show this new Euro Vase thing.

Why not go back to the European cup (for league winners only), UEFA Cup and Cup winners cup?

It just sounds like another burden for middling teams trying to climb the the EFL ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Why not go back to the European cup (for league winners only), UEFA Cup and Cup winners cup?
    $$$$$$

Now if the Europa league 2 had been for Europes second tier leagues only,such as our Championship , that would be of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Now if the Europa league 2 had been for Europes second tier leagues only,such as our Championship , that would be of interest.
    I like that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_corneli View Post
    I like that idea.
    And would it not be nice if the powers of world football and the rich boys clubs , helped fund this potential second tier competion