+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Good pubs near the London stadium

Good pubs near the London stadium

Just leaving Edinburgh airport for Stansted and excited to tick off another ground. Can any City fans recommend a good pre-match pub nearish to the stadium?

Re: Good pubs near the London stadium

no..it's as baron as wembley..stop off a couple of tube stops earlier to find a decent pub

Crate Brewery, which is over the canal / Hackney Wick area, and TapEast which is in Westfield, are both decent enough but are likely to be full of West 'am

Otherwise The Cow (also in Westfield and about 5 mins from the ground) is alright, a bit more like a modern gastro pub, but again likely to have a a fair amount of Hammers knocking about, and also not sure what the deal is with away fans at any of these.

Thanks both. I’m staying in Docklands, so I’ll probably find a nearby pub/bar for some food and a couple of beers before heading to the stadium.

Also - up the road in Leyton is Leyton Technical, which I've not been to but heard decent things of.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dargavel View Post
    Just leaving Edinburgh airport for Stansted and excited to tick off another ground. Can any City fans recommend a good pre-match pub nearish to the stadium?
    In a word: No. It's at the back of a westfield shopping centre. Dreadful place for a stadium really. There are chain restaurants in the shopping centre and few "pubs" like the Cow. And the canteen in John Lewis.

I live 5 minutes from the ground. Suggestions above are correct, but there is a couple of bars near me in East Village which aren't completely packed to the rafters and just a 10 minute walk to the ground.

Neighborhood - 52-54 Celebration Ave, East Village, London E20 1DB

Let me know if you have a spare and fancy a pint and I'll meet you

King Edward in Stratford is a decent enough boozer in a listed building. Tap East in Stratford is alright for a microbrewery place. If you go to Hackney Wick on the other side of the Olympic Park then Howling Hops and Crate are decent for food and drink although I guess not "pubs" in the traditional sense.

No clue what any of them are like on a match day mind. Has any designated away pub been announced?

Work colleague from Leyton way suggested Northcote Arms, North Star and Birkbeck Tavern.

Otherwise it's slim pickings round the ground.

International

The railway tavern was always a good watering hole.
    Where the bus from Stansted stops walk away from westfield eastwards and cross the railway at first opportunity. It's about 100 yards on your right. you can google it railway tavern hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    King Edward in Stratford is a decent enough boozer in a listed building. Tap East in Stratford is alright for a microbrewery place. If you go to Hackney Wick on the other side of the Olympic Park then Howling Hops and Crate are decent for food and drink although I guess not "pubs" in the traditional sense.

No clue what any of them are like on a match day mind. Has any designated away pub been announced?

Work colleague from Leyton way suggested Northcote Arms, North Star and Birkbeck Tavern.

Otherwise it's slim pickings round the ground.
    What other types of colleague are there?

I tried the Cow and had a quick pint of DoomBar but it was in a plastic glass so wasn’t great. Now in the King Edward VII on the High Street which is exactly the sort of pub I was after. Lovely pint of London Pride which is a favourite real ale of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dargavel View Post
    I tried the Cow and had a quick pint of DoomBar but it was in a plastic glass so wasn’t great. Now in the King Edward VII on the High Street which is exactly the sort of pub I was after. Lovely pint of London Pride which is a favourite real ale of mine.
    I was in the King Edward VII from 6-6.30 waiting for a mate but he was delayed. Nice pub but not the place to start tapping my head to find fellow travelling fans though!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I was in the King Edward VII from 6-6.30 waiting for a mate but he was delayed. Nice pub but not the place to start tapping my head to find fellow travelling fans though!
    We had a pint in the Bow Bells and the Little Driver but yeh, very much “under cover.”