+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Away form

Away form

The eagle-eyed among us will have spotted that our away form, granted there's been some tough fixtures there, has been underwhelming. I've had a look at teams' overall away form in the Premier League since it was reduced to 20 teams in 1995.

Derby County have the worst ever record away from home, winning 3 points on the road all season. It has to be said that's a better points average than we're currently managing. Fulham's is worse than ours this season, by virtue of losing 2 more away games than us.

There have been 4 occasions where teams have not won away from home all season - Hull (2009/10), Derby (2007/08), Coventry (1999/2000) and Leeds (the season after they won the old first division).

In terms of what is required to stay up, generally teams with the worst away records go down though, again, there are 7 occurrences of the team with the worst away record staying up. On 25 occasions have teams had less than 10 points on the road, 5 stayed up. Coventry, as mentioned were winless in 1999/2000, stayed up. It's not rocket science to suggest that good home form can compensate and ensure safety. There are also examples of teams winning 20 points and more away from home and being relegated due to dismal home form.

It's not uncommon for teams to have a pretty dismal record away from home at this point in the season, there are a number of occurrences of teams having just 1 point at this stage. Teams that struggle tend to pick up a few more results over the second half of the season. With a better looking set of fixtures on our travels, that has to be our hope.

Re: Away form

City won't win one game away from home this season.

A draw is a forlorn hope.

Re: Away form

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop View Post
    City won't win one game away from home this season.

A draw is a forlorn hope.
    We will likely win at both Watford and Palace.
    I am confident.
    I saw a lot to admire last night until yet again it went pear shaped. We are definitely in almost every game. We need some luck.