+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Neil Warnock, a manger who talks a simple game but prepares in detail..

Neil Warnock, a manger who talks a simple game but prepares in detail..

..picked up his brief interview on BBC after the game. The usual good stuff from him about the players, fans, club, all pulling together etc, but then he said something along the lines of how they looked at how the Southampton manager had set up his sides in Germany and that he normally employed 3 different systems, and set the City up to counter these.
    Just shows how much work goes on between matchdays, and that our Neil is as 'scientific' as the best of them..

Re: Neil Warnock, a manger who talks a simple game but prepares in detail..

We really do have a gem of a manager. Last of the old school. Could probably go down as the best we’ve ever had if he keeps us up with the squad we’ve got.
    When he eventually leaves, he’s gonna be hard to replace.

I heard he rolls a dice to determine the number of midfielders for each game, and then fills up the rest of the team with defenders.

There was an analysis of Warnock's tactical nous done by somebody before, can't remember who. Might have been Osian Roberts? Where he is breaking down our tactical fluidity during a game against Middlesbrough, and showing how effective it is.

He talks a simple game but he knows what he's doing for the most part. Always keeps his cards close to his chest.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky Tree View Post
    There was an analysis of Warnock's tactical nous done by somebody before, can't remember who. Might have been Osian Roberts? Where he is breaking down our tactical fluidity during a game against Middlesbrough, and showing how effective it is.

He talks a simple game but he knows what he's doing for the most part. Always keeps his cards close to his chest.
    Yeah it was Osian Roberts

Whenever Roberts is co-commentating on Cardiff he tends to go on about how impressive we are tactically and the way we're set up

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Yeah it was Osian Roberts

Whenever Roberts is co-commentating on Cardiff he tends to go on about how impressive we are tactically and the way we're set up
    No ,no, no! We can’t have this! we are the worse Premier League team in history ! Cardiff have a Neanderthal manager who sends his players out to kick opposition players off the park and spend their time lumping it up to the big striker ! The manager and the club should not have been allowed to be promoted and he has the audacity to only spend £30 million and not run the club into millions of debt ! How dare someone praise Mr Warnock’s technical abilities

Has he a crib for a bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I heard he rolls a dice to determine the number of midfielders for each game, and then fills up the rest of the team with defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky Tree View Post

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43948672

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    We really do have a gem of a manager. Last of the old school. Could probably go down as the best we’ve ever had if he keeps us up with the squad we’ve got.
    When he eventually leaves, he’s gonna be hard to replace.
    Absolutely and spot one , I hope we will became his swansong and if he does step down he stays in some capacity , you cant buy what he has brought to the game , its not about being super tactically aware , its about man management , motivation , a very underrated set of skill.

A lot of clubs have brought in these super duper technically Europeans, in a belief they are the only answer , its not just about ones PowerPoint presentation, or if they played in a European league and the passing game is the only tactic .

I would say in my view he's fast approaching the magical Jimmy Scoular .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Absolutely and spot one , I hope we will became his swansong and if he does step down he stays in some capacity , you cant buy what he has brought to the game , its not about being super tactically aware , its about man management , motivation , a very underrated set of skill.

A lot of clubs have brought in these super duper technically Europeans, in a belief they are the only answer , its not just about ones PowerPoint presentation, or if they played in a European league and the passing game is the only tactic .

I would say in my view he's fast approaching the magical Jimmy Scoular .
    In my opinion he’s surpassed Scoular, ok there were the fantastic European nights but Scoular couldn’t get us over the finishing line at league level. Malky did but had the tools to do it, Warnock has done it with a bit of string & some sticky back plastic. Us & the football community should look back on these last couple of seasons with him in charge as a bloody miracle.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Great article. Warnock's old fashioned in many ways but him, Jepson and Blackwell think outside the box when it comes to tactics.

That was it, cheers fella.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    In my opinion he’s surpassed Scoular, ok there were the fantastic European nights but Scoular couldn’t get us over the finishing line at league level. Malky did but had the tools to do it, Warnock has done it with a bit of string & some sticky back plastic. Us & the football community should look back on these last couple of seasons with him in charge as a bloody miracle.
    If you're of a certain age, it's almost a rule that you have to consider Jimmy Scoular to be the best City manager you've seen, but it's getting harder and harder to overlook Neil Warnock's claims to that title - in fact, I gave up doing that at the end of last season.

You mention those great European nights, but Warnock, or most City managers of the past thirty odd years never had the virtual guarantee of Cup Winners Cup football that our team of the late sixties and most of the seventies had. Indeed, for the past quarter of a century or so, the only way City could ever play in European football was through qualifying the "English way", which basically means that we need to be winning FA and Football League cup competitions or through finishing in the top six or so of the Premier League. Fair play to Dave Jones and Malky Mackay, they got us close to the Cup wins, but I always considered the top six route as an impossibility - it's still really hard to see us making it, but Warnock has made it a little bit more attainable.

I've mentioned stacks of times before that I'm not a great fan of what I understand the "Warnock way" to be, but one thing Ihave changed my mind about is that he is, essentially, a defensive minded manager - anyone in charge of a Premier League "struggler" who goes into a game with the formation we had against Wolves ten days ago cannot be called a defensive manager!

Neil Warnock is, by some distance, the best manager I've seen at the club.

If you're of a certain age, it's almost a rule that you have to consider Jimmy Scoular to be the best City manager you've seen, but it's getting harder and harder to overlook Neil Warnock's claims to that title - in fact, I gave up doing that at the end of last season.

You mention those great European nights, but Warnock, or most City managers of the past thirty odd years never had the virtual guarantee of Cup Winners Cup football that our team of the late sixties and most of the seventies had. Indeed, for the past quarter of a century or so, the only way City could ever play in European football was through qualifying the "English way", which basically means that we need to be winning FA and Football League cup competitions or through finishing in the top six or so of the Premier League. Fair play to Dave Jones and Malky Mackay, they got us close to the Cup wins, but I always considered the top six route as an impossibility - it's still really hard to see us making it, but Warnock has made it a little bit more attainable.

I've mentioned stacks of times before that I'm not a great fan of what I understand the "Warnock way" to be, but one thing Ihave changed my mind about is that he is, essentially, a defensive minded manager - anyone in charge of a Premier League "struggler" who goes into a game with the formation we had against Wolves ten days ago cannot be called a defensive manager!

Neil Warnock is, by some distance, the best manager I've seen at the club.
    Thanks TOBW , as a fan of a certain age ,you have articulated what I should have said ,however I did not want the ghost of Jimmy standing over me in judgement ,or being upset .

Thanks TOBW , as a fan of a certain age ,you have articulated what I should have said ,however I did not want the ghost of Jimmy standing over me in judgement ,or being upset .
    I only said Warnock had surpassed him because Scoular’s passed on, wouldn’t want that mad Jock knocking my front door to argue the case, he was a beast of a man and I reckon some opponents took scars to their graves😱😱😱

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I only said Warnock had surpassed him because Scoular’s passed on, wouldn’t want that mad Jock knocking my front door to argue the case, he was a beast of a man and I reckon some opponents took scars to their graves😱😱😱
    I'm sleeping with the lights on tonight ,he was terrifying alive imagine him appearing as a ghostly ghoul.

I'm sleeping with the lights on tonight ,he was terrifying alive imagine him appearing as a ghostly ghoul.
    Jimmy Ghoular😂😂😂