+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Penalties and Strikers..

Penalties and Strikers..

Suppose it could apply to any player on the pitch who is in an advanced position, within the opposition penalty area, they become an attacker-My point is that Forwards seem to get the shit beat out of them for diving or going down when there is contact and defenders who foul in the penalty area don't seem to get called out in the same way attackers do when they 'cheat' Have a look at the amount of fouling committed at set pieces by defenders, have a scan through the media the day after a defender gets away with a blatant foul that prevents a goal scoring opportunity, you wont see the furore and outrage that is bestowed on a striker that has 'cheated' in order to gain advantage.

Look at how we perceive what is a fair foul, we hear plenty about 'taking one for the team' when a side break quickly and the opposition are all over the place,that kind of foul is celebrated, it's perceived as almost Honest, yet it's blatant cheating. When a striker dives or extenuates the contact the media and fans start spitting out their cornflakes-Why is that? Are some forms of cheating more noble than others, do we as supporters (and the media) identify with defenders more than strikers, is it because there is a perception that diving, looking for the contact etc is a relatively new aspect in the British game and perceived as a 'Foreign thing' therefore classed as sinister and dishonest?

I played as a defender at a decent enough level, i knew that if i got myself in a poor position or on the wrong side of an attacker and had to make the challenge, then it would have to be spot on, i'd put myself in a bad position and i knew that it was down to me to get the challenge right, i couldn't expect the attacker to help me out by being honest, why should he, he'd done well to put me where i was.

Anyway, Defenders seem to get away with being dishonest, strikers are vilified, why is that?

Re: Penalties and Strikers..

If a defender fouls he’s usually punished by a booking or a penalty or dangerous free kick. There’s not really an attempt to deceive.

With dives, they are more regularly rewarded than punished and they are an attempt to con the ref.

That’s the difference for me

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    If a defender fouls he’s usually punished by a booking or a penalty or dangerous free kick. There’s not really an attempt to deceive.

With dives, they are more regularly rewarded than punished and they are an attempt to con the ref.

That’s the difference for me
    I disagree, cheating is cheating. I've seen defenders physically hold onto players preventing them from moving, I've seen defenders roll into players and knock them off balance, knee players in the back at headers etc. It's all calculated and is a form of cheating. I don't know if what you say about diving being more regularly rewarded than punished is true. Defenders get away with shit loads, isn't any form of cheating wrong, or is it worse when a striker does it?

I always got done for penalties as a big old centre half , always getting turned , therefore severe ugly bodily contact was the only skill left .

Most of the time it looked worse than it was due a bigger man tackling smaller strikers .

Ii was with trying to get away with a good thump on the legs of yet nippy strikers as they tended to stay away , for the rest of game .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I always got done for penalties as a big old centre half , always getting turned , therefore severe ugly bodily contact was the only skill left .

Most of the time it looked worse than it was due a bigger man tackling smaller strikers .

Ii was with trying to get away with a good thump on the legs of yet nippy strikers as they tended to stay away , for the rest of game .
    There you go, it was your job not to get turned, you did, you fouled, sometimes you got away with it, other times you didn't. When the striker went down you couldn't really complain-Could you? As for giving the striker one early to warn them off, fair game, i'd have done the same, but neither of us could complain if the striker turned us over, could we? And i know that Lawnmower was a defender who probably got away with his fair share

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    There you go, it was your job not to get turned, you did, you fouled, sometimes you got away with it, other times you didn't. When the striker went down you couldn't really complain-Could you? As for giving the striker one early to warn them off, fair game, i'd have done the same, but neither of us could complain if the striker turned us over, could we? And i know that Lawnmower was a defender who probably got away with his fair share
    Indeed . I love the way Morrison plays he's no nonesnse, leaves a few good mark's ,lol.

Indeed . I love the way Morrison plays he's no nonesnse, leaves a few good mark's ,lol.
    And that's sort of my point, we give defenders leeway, and so do the media, Strikers aren't afforded the same treatment when they cheat. It's a bit sanctimonious.

I also took a few elbows in the face and the odd kick in the head 😂

In my early days I played up front and the best one was playing in Jubilee Park against some older guy who was a bit shorter than me and couldn’t get off the ground- I was murdering him in the air until one moment I jumped and the ball just seemed to disappear and then fly 30 yards back up the pitch.

The fecker has only gone and caught it and thrown it back up the pitch.

The ref , who must have been well into his 60s completely missed it !

Now THAT was cheating 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    I also took a few elbows in the face and the odd kick in the head ��

In my early days I played up front and the best one was playing in Jubilee Park against some older guy who was a bit shorter than me and couldn’t get off the ground- I was murdering him in the air until one moment I jumped and the ball just seemed to disappear and then fly 30 yards back up the pitch.

The fecker has only gone and caught it and thrown it back up the pitch.

The ref , who must have been well into his 60s completely missed it !

Now THAT was cheating ��
    Tim, that's just good defending, adapting to the environment-and an elderly blind ref

Tim, that's just good defending, adapting to the environment-and an elderly blind ref
    Classy

Haha !

...I've always had you as a Bowie lookalike...skinny and pale..