+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Oh dear me Darkie Day' returns to Padstow

Oh dear me Darkie Day' returns to Padstow

Re: Oh dear me Darkie Day' returns to Padstow

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Yes my thoughts exactly ,very strange in these times , I love Padstow as well holiday there most years great beers,pubs ,food.

got to love the Cornish

though it was always part of the winter solstice celebrations, it was never anything to do with race

I believe that " non-whites " can " white-up" for golowan, just to even it out

Gotta luv dem pasties

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Yes my thoughts exactly ,very strange in these times , I love Padstow as well holiday there most years great beers,pubs ,food.
    Padstow a place to be ovoided in Cornwall ditto Newquay

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Controversial because those who look for offence in everything, find it.

Not racist by intent and the symbolism is pagan in nature.

The accusation of racism is absolute nonsense which is evidenced from no arrests made a few years back which is written in the report.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    why Padstow ??

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post

The accusation of racism is absolute nonsense which is evidenced from no arrests made a few years back which is written in the report.
    You can take comfort in the fact that burning effigies of the Pope still takes place in Lewes every year.

They are wearing things that look like 1920s headscarves that an African-American maid might wear. I thought pagan tradition was very very old ?

Pull the other one. Those feckers are well dodgy.

Says they can wear masks as well. Just wear a mask.

You’re way off.

Just because something is old, doesn’t mean it can’t be appropriated by racists or modified to allow blatantly racist acts.

They are dressing up as black people from a time in America when black people were abused and humiliated by white people.

That’s not cool. And to dress it up as an ancient tradition is even more vulgar.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    funny enough some very nice places between then 2 places

Watergate bay is one of them, a nice little bar on the front ( called wax ) nice food, they even sell Jubel ( a peach beer )

Harlyn is a nice beach, Constantine bay has a cracking beach, treyarnon bay has the beach and a nice place to eat ( the YMCA ) its not fine dining but its nice enough

Infact i must agree with you, Padstow and its tourist trap is to be avoided ( loads of high street shops have taken over the place, not to mention rick stein

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    They are wearing things that look like 1920s headscarves that an African-American maid might wear.
    My Nan used to wear the same, isnt it just a head scarf ? ? ? ?

My nan was neither African-American or racist though

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    funny enough some very nice places between then 2 places

Watergate bay is one of them, a nice little bar on the front ( called wax ) nice food, they even sell Jubel ( a peach beer )

Harlyn is a nice beach, Constantine bay has a cracking beach, treyarnon bay has the beach and a nice place to eat ( the YMCA ) its not fine dining but its nice enough

Infact i must agree with you, Padstow and its tourist trap is to be avoided ( loads of high street shops have taken over the place, not to mention rick stein
    The in-laws now live down that way.

We often head for Porthcothon Bay. Hidden away from the coast road so not too busy, easy parking opposite and a nice little shop.

Surely only snowflakes would be offended??

You’re way off.

Just because something is old, doesn’t mean it can’t be appropriated by racists or modified to allow blatantly racist acts.

They are dressing up as black people from a time in America when black people were abused and humiliated by white people.

That’s not cool. And to dress it up as an ancient tradition is even more vulgar.
    Excuse my ignorance but the pictures I saw from the report got them dressed up as traditional yokel, wurzel, carrot crunching garments. I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong.

👍

Excuse my ignorance but the pictures I saw from the report got them dressed up as traditional yokel, wurzel, carrot crunching garments. I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong.

👍
    There is a morris dancer vibe to some of it but look at the woman with a cloth on her head. She’s blatantly going for an afro-american vibe. It also has minstrel music which obviously has a pretty dubious history.

No offence to those of you who were in the army or raise money to “help the heroes” but apparently these guys raise money for HTH as well and generally speaking they tend to be a bit more righty, british nationalists. Less sensitive to minorities maybe.

I don’t get a “fun” vibe from that and I’d feel weird taking my nigerian girlfriend to something like that. It would feel a bit uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    The in-laws now live down that way.

We often head for Porthcothon Bay. Hidden away from the coast road so not too busy, easy parking opposite and a nice little shop.

good call, the next bay over from treyarnon, its a fairly sheltered beach though, only seems to get any surf ( which is why we go down ) at low tide and then its got a nasty rip

we headed to that shop to pick up a wet suit last year, they sell the same fresh baked breakfast pastries as the small store at Constantine bay ( made by chough bakery if i remember rightly , i only remember as the van driver almost ran head on into us )), they do fresh coffee aswell

our good friends and old next door neighbours moved down to wadebridge, but we have camped and surfed around the area for the last 2 years

There is a morris dancer vibe to some of it but look at the woman with a cloth on her head. She’s blatantly going for an afro-american vibe. It also has minstrel music which obviously has a pretty dubious history.

No offence to those of you who were in the army or raise money to “help the heroes” but apparently these guys raise money for HTH as well and generally speaking they tend to be a bit more righty, british nationalists. Less sensitive to minorities maybe.

I don’t get a “fun” vibe from that and I’d feel weird taking my nigerian girlfriend to something like that. It would feel a bit uncomfortable.
    I didn't look at their dress or interpret it in that way. Look , I'm no ex army veteran and extremely left wing. I just think there's nothing to see here.

Even if the dress is appropriated from African/American history (I'm not convinced on that) it's misguided in nature rather than intentionally racist surely?

I have much more of a problem with Yaxley Lennon and his deluded hordes marching through our cities pushing a hate agenda disguised as free speech than this.

I didn't look at their dress or interpret it in that way. Look , I'm no ex army veteran and extremely left wing. I just think there's nothing to see here.

Even if the dress is appropriated from African/American history (I'm not convinced on that) it's misguided in nature rather than intentionally racist surely?

I have much more of a problem with Yaxley Lennon and his deluded hordes marching through our cities pushing a hate agenda disguised as free speech than this.

I think the woman in the second picture is going for this look -

https://goo.gl/images/sHQ9BT

Like I said. It’s just stupid and weird .... and yes, casual racism. The world won’t end because of it but let’s not dress it up as something it isn’t.

There are far more dangerous people out there, you’re right.

I just think you’re wrong about it being nothing.

And I’m not angry or snowflaking. It’s just not a good thing.

I think the woman in the second picture is going for this look -

https://goo.gl/images/sHQ9BT

Like I said. It’s just stupid and weird .... and yes, casual racism. The world won’t end because of it but let’s not dress it up as something it isn’t.

There are far more dangerous people out there, you’re right.

I just think you’re wrong about it being nothing.

And I’m not angry or snowflaking. It’s just not a good thing.
    Red to ask her about the intention regarding her dress sense or lack ot it.

Not sure if it is casual racism though but your point is definitely noted👍