+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Six straight away losses and the Premier League’s lowest wage budget hindering Cardiff City’s attempt to defy the odds.

Six straight away losses and the Premier League’s lowest wage budget hindering Cardiff City’s attempt to defy the odds.

Re: Six straight away losses and the Premier League’s lowest wage budget hindering Cardiff City’s attempt to defy the odds.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    No problem.

I think you've undersold Dan Griffiths' goal for the Academy yesterday, it was superb. The defence and the keeper knew what he wanted to do but covered it so the only way he'd be able to score was if he was quick and skilful enough to create half a yard of space for himself from virtually a standing start and then hit it like a train inside the post to beat the keeper. He was and he did. So far to go, of course, but he looks like a genuine prospect.

Re: Six straight away losses and the Premier League’s lowest wage budget hindering Cardiff City’s attempt to defy the odds.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    No problem.

I think you've undersold Dan Griffiths' goal for the Academy yesterday, it was superb. The defence and the keeper knew what he wanted to do but covered it so the only way he'd be able to score was if he was quick and skilful enough to create half a yard of space for himself from virtually a standing start and then hit it like a train inside the post to beat the keeper. He was and he did. So far to go, of course, but he looks like a genuine prospect.
    We do need to change the way we play away from home as the current style just isn't working. Warnock seems petrified of leaving gaps or spaces for the opposition to break into, although did what he did at home to Wolves-Strange. I said in an earlier thread that we do have two defenders in Manga and Bamba who can recover pretty well, and wingers who can track back with pace. Why not give it a go-Good write up as ever

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    We do need to change the way we play away from home as the current style just isn't working. Warnock seems petrified of leaving gaps or spaces for the opposition to break into, although did what he did at home to Wolves-Strange. I said in an earlier thread that we do have two defenders in Manga and Bamba who can recover pretty well, and wingers who can track back with pace. Why not give it a go-Good write up as ever
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    No problem.

Ah, so it was you then!Thanks very much and nice to meet you at last.

You're right about Griffiths' goal, but maybe I didn't give him the credit he deserved because, overall, I thought it was a disappointing attacking showing by the team as a whole, not just him. I didn't think we missed Isaak Davies at all last week, but we did on Saturday (as we did Ryan Reynolds at the back as well).

While it was good to see Sion Spence involved again, he was, understandably, quiet and I'm hoping that the plan is to reintroduce him gently with a half here and a half there, but I thought it was ominous to see doing stretching exercises within minutes of the start and he was limping slightly when I saw him making his way to the back of the stand in the second half - Spence at his best is a game changer at this level and I think he and/or Davies might have found a way to unlock Ipswich more often the one occasion Griffiths did.

Griffiths was superb against Charlton and it's encouraging to see he can do a job in the number ten role as well. He is one of three good signings we've made from other clubs who are among the best in the current team (Reynolds and Bagen being the other two) and you'd like to think that at least one of this squad could make it into first team reckoning in the next season or two - he is certainly one of those with a chance.

I still think more credit should be given to Watford for their attacking play, but watching their first goal again, it reminded me of the first one we conceded this season at Bournemouth on the opening day in that our opponents were able to move the ball through the the space in front of the our back four with the minimum of opposition. From memory, this was down to Sol Bamba (who was in midfield that day) surrendering possession in a fairly advanced area, so the reason for the concession of the goal might be different, but I've thought before that it was a problem area for us.

On Saturday it almost looked as if we had too many back and there was a degree of leaving Deulofeu to someone else in our midfield, whereas in home games Gunnar knows it's his job to patrol that area in front of the back four and, for example, Wolves, who attack in a similar way to Bournemouth and Watford, were never able to do that against us.

I also think we are not having much luck in the way our away fixtures are falling - we faced West Ham just after they stuffed Newcastle at St James' Park and Watford after a good attacking display at Everton where they caused a better side than us plenty of defensive problems and now we go a Palace side who finally laid that bogy of always losing when Zaha isn't playing in winning a second consecutive home win on Saturday.

Tan's meagre outlay on transfer fees and players wages reveals a very poor business sense.

Yes he caught a cold in 2012/13, but much of that was due to his poor decision to appoint OGS as manager. Now, with the riches of the PL not just within reach, but actually reached, it is obviously not a time to pare back to the bone but to invest strongly with the goal of staying in the land of milk and honey.

Tan seems think that Warnock's miracle of promotion with a ragtail and bobtail team of the unemployed, crocked and loan players from lower divisions can be replicated in the PL. Dream on. He has swung from an overspend to an underspend - a massive overreaction.

With the income from TV and higher gate money, he doesn't even have to put his hand in his pocket. The penny seems to have dropped that spending may be necessary (after more wonders from City - punching way above their wage bill), but we can only hope that the January Sales do not come too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Tan's meagre outlay on transfer fees and players wages reveals a very poor business sense.

Yes he caught a cold in 2012/13, but much of that was due to his poor decision to appoint OGS as manager. Now, with the riches of the PL not just within reach, but actually reached, it is obviously not a time to pare back to the bone but to invest strongly with the goal of staying in the land of milk and honey.

Tan seems think that Warnock's miracle of promotion with a ragtail and bobtail team of the unemployed, crocked and loan players from lower divisions can be replicated in the PL. Dream on. He has swung from an overspend to an underspend - a massive overreaction.

With the income from TV and higher gate money, he doesn't even have to put his hand in his pocket. The penny seems to have dropped that spending may be necessary (after more wonders from City - punching way above their wage bill), but we can only hope that the January Sales do not come too late.
    We'll not be out if ouch with the rest come the New Year and I think that more than anything is the criteria for spending in January. Our owner -quite rightly- must view the transfer market as some ghastly lottery when Ł10million can but and absoloute footalling gem, or a complete dud, totally unsuited to Prem. football.But, yes, 3 or 4 players who can come into the side and improve it across the pitch is the only real chance we have of staying up. Problem is we seem to have a very limited transfer strategy, and still seem to think that more we spend on a player the better me must be...

Neil is listening