+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wow 60k to 100k to drive a tube train

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Wow 60k to 100k to drive a tube train

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Apologies if I'm wrong here, but I believe you voted leave in the EU referendum? I only mention this because the remain side had set out a scenario similar to the one you did for the consequences of a rise in the minimum wage, the Leave side would have, correctly in my view, be shouting "project fear, project fear!".

Anyway, following your logic through, shouldn't there have been all of the dire consequences you listed when the minimum wage was introduced in 1999? After all, this resulted in a pretty substantial wage rise for some low paid workers and yet, unless some sort of link that no one else has mentioned to the crisis which suddenly erupted, in financial terms anyway, nine years later, then the introduction of the scheme did not have any truly significant consequences for the UK economy.
    Not sure why your pre-amble about Brexit was necessary, other than to show that not everything is black and white in politics.
    We may occasionally share exactly the same viewpoint on certain matters, even with polar opposite views on the majority of political matters.
    I know exactly how the 1999 minimum wage impacted a number of businesses.
    It didn't financially impact many businesses paying low wages, because they were paying close, if not above the introduced NMW of £3.60 in April 1999.
    Therefore, the financial crisis you jokingly alluded to didn't materialise.
    What did happen, was the number of job applicants rapidly reduced after NMW was introduced, as often people felt 'their' value was worth more than the 'minimum'. It was also not helped when Naomi Campbell ludicrously stated she wouldn't get out of bed for less than £10,000 a day.
    Pre-NMW, the number of applicants were plentiful.

The 28% minimum wage increase that Labour wants is far too much to responsibly introduce, without it adversely impacting on SME's, costs of living, council taxes, inflation, mortgages and the country's balance defecit.

There will be many businesses severely damaged, social and nursing care will be decimated, significant job losses as a result and many councils will declare bankruptcy.

Re: Wow 60k to 100k to drive a tube train

Quote Originally Posted by JDerrida View Post
    Not sure why your pre-amble about Brexit was necessary, other than to show that not everything is black and white in politics.
    We may occasionally share exactly the same viewpoint on certain matters, even with polar opposite views on the majority of political matters.
    I know exactly how the 1999 minimum wage impacted a number of businesses.
    It didn't financially impact many businesses paying low wages, because they were paying close, if not above the introduced NMW of £3.60 in April 1999.
    Therefore, the financial crisis you jokingly alluded to didn't materialise.
    What did happen, was the number of job applicants rapidly reduced after NMW was introduced, as often people felt 'their' value was worth more than the 'minimum'. It was also not helped when Naomi Campbell ludicrously stated she wouldn't get out of bed for less than £10,000 a day.
    Pre-NMW, the number of applicants were plentiful.

The 28% minimum wage increase that Labour wants is far too much to responsibly introduce, without it adversely impacting on SME's, costs of living, council taxes, inflation, mortgages and the country's balance defecit.

There will be many businesses severely damaged, social and nursing care will be decimated, significant job losses as a result and many councils will declare bankruptcy.
    Your last paragraph shows precisely why I mentioned Brexit - opinions predicting dire consequences if a certain direction is taken being expressed as if they are facts, tell me how that differs from "project fear".