+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wow 60k to 100k to drive a tube train

Wow 60k to 100k to drive a tube train

Re: Wow 60k to 100k to drive a tube train

How many hours do they have to work to earn £100K pa?

Just goes to show how the rest of us are being screwed over. The whole story is a fascinating insight into how the ruling classes hate a decent union.

Not entirely sure I could do that job for that pay. Life is too short...

It just goes to show how militancy can work for the drivers and punish the travellers. It is ludicrous to think that a tube driver can earn twice as much as an Easy Jet pilot.

A mate of mine used to work on the railways. Was on about £45k as a train driver about 10 years ago. Unbelievable.

If sir Phillip green can own several 100 million pound boats and lay people off at a whim then power to the train drivers

Strong union, collective bargaining power = higher wages.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Strong union, collective bargaining power = higher wages.
    Absolutely-I can't understand why some people are pissed off that they get the pay they deserve, a sort of working class race to the bottom-Mission accomplished for the bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    If sir Phillip green can own several 100 million pound boats and lay people off at a whim then power to the train drivers
    Not to mention Richard Branson who lives on an island and gets to decide who lives there, and who can visit, yet he tells us we should open up our borders and let anybody come here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Absolutely-I can't understand why some people are pissed off that they get the pay they deserve, a sort of working class race to the bottom-Mission accomplished for the bosses.
    Quite.

- UK strikes reach all-time low in 2017. The number of strikes in the UK last year was the lowest recorded to date, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS). There were 79 stoppages in 2017, the lowest figures since records began in 1891. -

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Quite.

- UK strikes reach all-time low in 2017. The number of strikes in the UK last year was the lowest recorded to date, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS). There were 79 stoppages in 2017, the lowest figures since records began in 1891. -
    Yup, people would rather take a bad deal than no deal it seems. Even some of the unions have bought into the tories scare tactics over austerity. I don't think that people value their skills and labour enough in this country. Happy to be treated like shit because it could get shittier!

Good luck to them. I wouldn't fancy it.

How much do we pay Zohore to do fek all?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Exactly.

It seems that some train drivers earn more than their MP (and they have more job security). Just an observation....

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It seems that some train drivers earn more than their MP (and they have more job security). Just an observation....
    And probably work harder and provide a more valuable service to the country/econonmy.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    And probably work harder and provide a more valuable service to the country/econonmy.
    And pay more taxes.

Bugger university kids buy a train set and prey your not colour blind.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Exactly.
    5 times the starting pay for a nurse.

Exactly..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    5 times the starting pay for a nurse.

Exactly..
    If the train driver was on 100 grand it would be, i doubt there are many of them on that. So, should the train drivers have their wages cut or should nurses receive a pay rise, you don't really make it clear what should happen. Here's what i think. Train drivers deserve every penny they get, it's a decent wage, but not life changing. Nurses should receive a hefty pay rise, i should know, i'm married to one. The problem is that the unions are falling into line and are lazy, Health workers are being shafted and the unions are piss weak. ASLEF defend their members. I don't know why we have to compare, we are all workers and deserve decent pay for our labour, that's all of us. ****ing tories and New Labour before them are intent on eroding working conditions and pay.

I’m currently waiting on a job application with Great Westen.
    Love to be part of that powerful union.

As some other have sad why do working class people begrudge other working class people decent wages yet hold some twats like JRM, Farage and Johnson in some sort of adulation?

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post

As some other have sad why do working class people begrudge other working class people decent wages yet hold some twats like JRM, Farage and Johnson in some sort of adulation?
    People in unions. That don't seem to grasp how hard their forebears worked and sacrificed to get them what they have today. Like reasonable hours, decent working conditions and weekends FFS!

People are forgetting that there's market forces at work here as well. When trains were privatised, new private operators offered huge salaries to poach drivers rather than train them (pardon the pun). Once wages have risen so dramatically, they're hardly going to fall.

Wizzing round a tube sat inside on your arse pushing two buttons, earning £100k. Working class !!!

Simply because it is the working classes, including NHS workers etc, who have to pay the increased fares to pay for the drivers "decent wages". It's all a matter of fairness and perceived contribution to society. Tube drivers performs a service but their pay is out of proportion to do the service they provide and their skills considering they do not require any level of education to do their job.